• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke5eua

Alright ladies and gentleman.

You wanted the skinny, here it is.

Murphy can KMA! Nothing new on the truck, filling up however Murphy decided it would be a good ideas to let the fuel novel slip a little while I was seating it and well, shower time.

One thing I have noticed, she is a oil burner. Not bad but put a load on her and she puffs the white stuff good.

Put two gallons in her to keep the pressure up, she was doing the funky chicken on the gauge.

337 needs several boots up several operators butts.

2nd and 3rd shop can only fix what they know about. Pencil whipping a pmcs only hurts the truck. I speak from experience, I was a mechanic, turrets and weapons and all the electronics that go along with it. I have spent several years on a 88, and pulling packs on m1s. Plus volunteering to drive both my deployments.

She will make it to her destination, even if the Prius has to pull her. (Let's see who gets it...)

Plan on driving more tonight then stop for some rest.

Don't get me wrong, I love this truck, she has brought back a lot of memories, good and bad, but it is better than sitting in a circle talking about your feelings. This is why I want to do this, therapeutic in a way.

HETvet

A DF2 shower is good for the skin and keeps the lot lizards away! Lol looking back, I wish you could have come by ft hood. We could have squared you away and made this trip a little more enjoyable, and might have set you home with some goodies, and a doggie bag for the owner. As long as I'm active duty here on hood, I would encourage any and all future HET owners to come by me. I'm here to help and spread my knowledge.

Prius hahahah, lol

ke5eua

Oh the day started with such promise.

No issues yesterday. Pull in to rest area to bed down and wouldn't you know it I wake up to a 24v gauge pegged to the left below red.

I thought to myself a few explicit words and decided to make it to a napa and finish out the trip.

About a few miles down the road, the entire gauge console goes out, no engine brake, no lights, luckily I have turn signals so I put on the 4 ways.

Pull off to change gps to take me to the nearest walmart. Yeah remember that no engine brake, well it decided to come back, constant.

Drove 10 miles with engine brake in full mode, that was a fun 5 mph.

Pulled into Walmart. Shut truck down, that's a good sign it turned off.

Going to let it cool down, get a long set of jumper cables and tie into the 939 batteries and make it to napa.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get up and read your posts so I'll feel better about my day. ;-)

I got the Prius reference.

Good luck. I'm sure it is something simple and DF88 will have you going in no time.

HETvet

None of the fuses on the dog house popped?

Pull the dog house cover and inspect in there for FUBR wiring jobs and/or a short some where.

Look under the dash. Look for the typical "electrical tape" warning buzzer by pass. There is a possibility that it could of shorted there. Keep in mind their is a low air buzzer, then a buzzer for every thing else

Also, pull the passenger side dog house cover. Check operation of the 24 volt alt. If it slung a belt, you would never know.

ke5eua

Ok good news, wasn't engine brake, just sounded like it.

Exhaust came off the first muffler right under the door. It's to hot, and I have to get this 939 to the port, plus it gives it a nice throaty sound.

Bought a walmart battery and stuck in it, fired up

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403870652.480103.jpg

My wife is going to meet me at the port, I will exchange the napa battery again, return the walmart battery.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem looks to be that the 24 volt alt is not charging, and you have not removed the 24 volt loads listed earlier, and those are sucking down your battery again and again.

ke5eua

The problem looks to be that the 24 volt alt is not charging, and you have not removed the 24 volt loads listed earlier, and those are sucking down your battery again and again.
I removed them, but you are forgetting tail lights for the towed vehicle are 24v.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403871296.015889.jpg

I think it is the regulator but it could be a compound of issues.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All that oil you are burning must be plugging up the muffler with soot. CO poisioning is a real concern, if you start to get real sleepy you are about to die.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick, stop at a convenience store and get a 6-pack of paper towels and a roll of duct tape.

Pull all the towels off the rolls.
Duct tape all the rolls together end to end.
Put one end out the window.
Breath through the other end.

Mod 1 A1 Human snorkel

Feel free to modify as needed.

EDIT:

Place paper towels over the end as need for particulate filtering.

Mod 1 A2

Last edited:

ke5eua

Quick, stop at a convenience store and get a 6-pack of paper towels and a roll of duct tape.

Pull all the towels off the rolls.
Duct tape all the rolls together end to end.
Put one end out the window.
Breath through the other end.

Mod 1 A1 Human snorkel

Feel free to modify as needed.
I'm like ace venture with my head out the window.

I've been using the nbc system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks