• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Tech & Tips

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand the power is there....Power is great but I'm exploring options in the axle itself...gearing...planetaries...maybe there are other options that way we can increase mileage too but stay under 2200 rpms max....60-65mph...

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody know what the thimble/budd nuts are for that are on the spare tire around the CTIS valve? The TM points them out, but does not seem to indicate their function. Maybe to protect the CTIS valve?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the wheel/lug nut related data I've come up with recently -

The M1070 uses hub piloted wheels.

The lug nuts are M22x1.5 metric and have P/N 88881 and NSN 5310-01-349-0755
The nuts that hold the CTIS cover on are M22x1.5 metric and have P/N 1842280 and NSN 5310-01-348-8317
The nuts that hold the wheel together are 3/4-16 and have P/N 52-49524-00 and NSN 5310-01-348-8316
The spare tire bolts are 7/8-9 (2" length) and have P/N B1821BH088C200N and NSN 5305-00-964-0508

The truck's BII includes a 33mm socket, which is close enough to 1-5/16" to remove and install the spare tire bolts and it will also remove and install the CTIS cover nuts, which correctly uses a 32mm socket.

The lug nuts take a 1-1/2" socket. This has to be a thin walled impact socket or a non impact socket. Does not need to be deep well, but deep well is probably prefereable. They properly use a 38mm socket, but 1-1/2" is an acceptable substitute.
The CTIS cover nuts take a 32mm socket. This can be a standard socket.
The nuts that hold the wheel together take a 1-1/8" socket. This can be a standard socket.
The bolts that hold the spare tire on take a 1-5/16 socket. This can be a standard socket.

All of these have to use a socket, as there is too much in the way to use a wrench.

The lug nuts, due to their proximity to the hub, require a fairly thin walled socket to fit over them. Snap On P/N SIM482TW is a 3/4" drive 1-1/2" thin wall deep impact socket and it fits correctly. Many other non thin walled impact sockets do not fit it. The Snap On socket measures 2-3/16" across and it barely fits.

Being that the lug nuts are metric and 2 piece, they are all right handed/clockwise threaded.

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the BII that I have with my HET -

het-85.jpg

2x 12 Ton bottle jacks
20' Slave cable
Slave cable 2-to-1 pin adapter
12v Work light
Work light power cord

het-86.jpg

All of this fits nicely in the forward toolbox underneath the driver's side door.

het-88.jpg

2x 50' 3/8" air hose
3/4" Drive air impact gun
Flashlight
Roll of bailing wire
Roll of paper towels
Heavy gloves for winch operation
Reflective vest
Reflective road triangles
Long bottle jack handle
Lug wrench
Lug wrench bar
Cheater pipe
Jack ground plate
wood blocks
12 pin 24v trailer electrical connector (There is also 7 pin 12v electrical connector on the tractor)
Tool bag (Detailed below)

het-87.jpg

Tool bag
SAE Combination Wrenches (1" - 5/16")
Spare nuts/washers/etc for mirrors
Zip ties (2 sizes)
2x "Limp home plugs"
Teflon tape
Razor blades
Schrader valve tool
Spare glad hand seals
Air inflator
Air pressure gauge
3/4" Drive slide bar handle
3/4" Drive 13" impact extension
3/4" Drive 33mm impact socket (For spare tire & CTIS shield)
3/4" Drive 1-1/2" deep well thin wall impact socket (For lug nuts)
3/4" Drive to 1/2" drive adapter
1/2" Drive 3/4" extra deep well impact socket (For air brake cage bolts)
1/2" Drive 12mm hex socket (For hub and axle plugs)
12" Spud crescent wrench
8" Crescent wrench
Utility Knife
3/4" Flare nut wrench (For CTIS)
2x Phillips head screwdrivers
2x Flat head screwdrivers
Slip joint pliers
Vice grips
Gloves

het-89.jpg

All of this fits in the large toolbox on the driver's side above the fuel tank.

---

There is also a fire extinguisher, but I didn't take a photo of it. Most of this is the regular BII for the truck with a few things that I added. I have omitted a few things that are part of the official BII, like the 5/8" and 7/8" (!) chains, towing air hoses, and pioneer tools. There is also quite a bit of interior storage area underneath the seats and in the rear of the doghouse. Unlike most of the other military tractors, the M1070 is not lacking for toolbox room.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody know what the thimble/budd nuts are for that are on the spare tire around the CTIS valve? The TM points them out, but does not seem to indicate their function. Maybe to protect the CTIS valve?
Maybe spares? The M1000-HETT uses regular thimbles and budd-nuts, RH/ LH (100 of each !!), just like on all older trucks.

G.

Carlo

Here is the BII that I have with my HET -

View attachment 518535

2x 12 Ton bottle jacks
20' Slave cable
Slave cable 2-to-1 pin adapter
12v Work light
Work light power cord

View attachment 518536

All of this fits nicely in the forward toolbox underneath the driver's side door.

View attachment 518538

2x 50' 3/8" air hose
3/4" Drive air impact gun
Flashlight
Roll of bailing wire
Roll of paper towels
Heavy gloves for winch operation
Reflective vest
Reflective road triangles
Long bottle jack handle
Lug wrench
Lug wrench bar
Cheater pipe
Jack ground plate
wood blocks
12 pin 24v trailer electrical connector (There is also 7 pin 12v electrical connector on the tractor)
Tool bag (Detailed below)

View attachment 518537

Tool bag
SAE Combination Wrenches (1" - 5/16")
Spare nuts/washers/etc for mirrors
Zip ties (2 sizes)
2x "Limp home plugs"
Teflon tape
Razor blades
Schrader valve tool
Spare glad hand seals
Air inflator
Air pressure gauge
3/4" Drive slide bar handle
3/4" Drive 13" impact extension
3/4" Drive 33mm impact socket (For spare tire & CTIS shield)
3/4" Drive 1-1/2" deep well thin wall impact socket (For lug nuts)
3/4" Drive to 1/2" drive adapter
1/2" Drive 3/4" extra deep well impact socket (For air brake cage bolts)
1/2" Drive 12mm hex socket (For hub and axle plugs)
12" Spud crescent wrench
8" Crescent wrench
Utility Knife
3/4" Flare nut wrench (For CTIS)
2x Phillips head screwdrivers
2x Flat head screwdrivers
Slip joint pliers
Vice grips
Gloves

View attachment 518539

All of this fits in the large toolbox on the driver's side above the fuel tank.

---

There is also a fire extinguisher, but I didn't take a photo of it. Most of this is the regular BII for the truck with a few things that I added. I have omitted a few things that are part of the official BII, like the 5/8" and 7/8" (!) chains, towing air hoses, and pioneer tools. There is also quite a bit of interior storage area underneath the seats and in the rear of the doghouse. Unlike most of the other military tractors, the M1070 is not lacking for toolbox room.
I need to hang around you for awhile. Maybe some of your great organization skills can rub off on me!
Thanks for all your great posts.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi the work light in the bII is there any make marked on it as I am after one thanks.
Work Light
JW Speaker P/N 1401272
NSN 6230-01-354-1204

Work Light Cable
Oshkosh P/N 1858760
NSN 6210-01-354-5929

I need to hang around you for awhile. Maybe some of your great organization skills can rub off on me!
Thanks for all your great posts.
Thanks!

glepaco

Hi Everybody...I`m looking for M1070 Parts as the hood and grille, radiator, shroud radiator, fender and some other parts.
Can any one help me to find these parts or does anyone know someone who is dismantling a M1070 so I can buy these parts at them? Hope you can help me asap. Thank you.

glepaco

Hi Goodguy, I`m looking for some parts of the M1070, as the radiator, hood and grille, and some other parts. Do you know someone who is dismantling one or who might sell these parts? I need a lot of some parts because of an accident. I hope you can help me.
Thank you,

Paul

glepaco

I gained so much knowledge on the M916-M920 tech and tips Im starting this one on the HET.
First project was to modify the filler hose the truck came with. It only came with a 10' hose, not enough to reach the rear tire on one side and not enough to reach the front on the other. Added 50' hose so I can also reach the trailer and put in a coupling on the end so I could connect air tools.

Next project: replace 5th wheel hitch with 2" slider closer to rear so I can tow civy lowboy.
Hi Goodguy, I`m looking for some parts of the M1070, as the radiator, hood and grille, and some other parts. Do you know someone who is dismantling one or who might sell these parts? I need a lot of some parts because of an accident. I hope you can help me.
Thank you,

glepaco

First a little about my self; 8 years active duty army 88M, with 5.5 almost 6 years of that being a HET operator. 96th TC have been my company for 5 years. This company IS the us army's premier HET company as its THE most deployed unit is the US army, period.

Yes the LO does call for 15-40. State side we do run that oil. The problem with this lubrication is that in a hotter climate and under heavy work loads, for long periods of time the motor oil gets to thin and can drop oil pressure down to 0-3PSI during operation. To fix this condition, we switched to 40wt engine oil and by passed the motor oil passages at the clutch fan. Now we show 60PSI during operation.

Hi Dieselfreak88m, I`m looking for some parts of the M1070, as the radiator, hood and grille, and some other parts. Do you know someone who is dismantling one or who might sell these parts? I need a lot of some parts because of an accident. I hope you can help me.
Thank you,

Paul

goodguyzy

Welcome to SS. You dont need to make seperate post to each member. One post will alert anyone who has posted on this thread or who has subscribed.

As far as a parts truck I dont know of anyone off hand. There was a wanted add in the classidied a number of months ago but i dont think any thing came of it. The only lead i can tell you is the truck that was rear ended in Florida. Can someone post a link up to that or ill try on my phone.

glepaco

Thank you very much for your fast response. I hope I can get some help soon. There is an option to order them at Oshkosh, but they can`t tell me what the lead time will be for some parts. And most of the part will take 3-6 months :(

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If Oshkosh will sell you parts (I got the bums rush when I tried to get some bolts for the MK-48) you better lube up before you ask the price. Remember their primary customer has an unlimited supply of our tax money.
Since a lot of parts are proprietary they are the only game in town and they price them accordingly.
Good luck with that.

glepaco

If Oshkosh will sell you parts (I got the bums rush when I tried to get some bolts for the MK-48) you better lube up before you ask the price. Remember their primary customer has an unlimited supply of our tax money.
Since a lot of parts are proprietary they are the only game in town and they price them accordingly.
Good luck with that.
Yes I`m sure they are very expensive. I hope I can find some of the parts that some people/companies bought at Government Liquidation.
I`m in need of the shroud radiator, radiator engine, hood + grille, LH fender, headlight assembly, absorber shocks and rear air spring

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks