• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Tech & Tips

ke5eua

Yes I`m sure they are very expensive. I hope I can find some of the parts that some people/companies bought at Government Liquidation.
I`m in need of the shroud radiator, radiator engine, hood + grille, LH fender, headlight assembly, absorber shocks and rear air spring
At first I thought this was the one that was rear ended but i remember it only had rear end damage not front end.

glepaco

At first I thought this was the one that was rear ended but i remember it only had rear end damage not front end.
Yes I saw the pictures of the truck that was hit by the semi. If he was parting it out, I could fix mine because that one doesn`t had front damage. But it looks fixable also. Mine is not so bad, just hit an excavator that was traveling downhill. And I was behind him. The mountain was making a corner while going downhill, and I was with a load in low gear 1. But the excavator is slower then that. And my brakes couldn`t hold the load to stop, because the mountain was very steep. So because of the corner I didn`t saw the excavator traveling, otherwise I would stop on the top of the mountain.
I just hit him slowly because I kept the gear in low 1. But the big hood that looks like iron is from fiber :( that was a bad idea from Oshkosh. The grille is like 1/8" thick. too bad.

ke5eua

Yes I saw the pictures of the truck that was hit by the semi. If he was parting it out, I could fix mine because that one doesn`t had front damage. But it looks fixable also. Mine is not so bad, just hit an excavator that was traveling downhill. And I was behind him. The mountain was making a corner while going downhill, and I was with a load in low gear 1. But the excavator is slower then that. And my brakes couldn`t hold the load to stop, because the mountain was very steep. So because of the corner I didn`t saw the excavator traveling, otherwise I would stop on the top of the mountain.
I just hit him slowly because I kept the gear in low 1. But the big hood that looks like iron is from fiber :( that was a bad idea from Oshkosh. The grille is like 1/8" thick. too bad.
Sorry to hear. The brakes should have held, did you not have trailer brakes?

I was the one driving the 1070 that got rear ended.

glepaco

Sorry to hear. The brakes should have held, did you not have trailer brakes?

I was the one driving the 1070 that got rear ended.
Yes the trailer has working brakes. It should have held the load. But the mountain was also very steep. I think I have to replace the one of the tractor also, maybe they are dry out?
Sorry to hear about yours also.

ke5eua

Oh okay. Another question. Can the driveline be locked and unlocked while rolling or while climbing a mountain?
Referring to putting it into 8x8 or throwing into neutral.

As far as 8x8, yes anytime. But if you were in low it should have already been engaged.

Throwing it into neutral can be done but not recommend as you won't be able to get it back into high or low because of shaft speed. Plus you would never want to disconnect driveline from engine when climbing or going downhill.

Put engine brake on high, put it on 1-2 and use the trolly brake to put a pulling resistance on the truck.

goodguyzy

So a few options then, wait for a parts truck to pop up for sale by private owner, buy parts from Oshkosh, get another truck from g/l either running or parts truck. I have a feeling that parts from Oshkosh would be close to a poor quality truck from g/l.

glepaco

So a few options then, wait for a parts truck to pop up for sale by private owner, buy parts from Oshkosh, get another truck from g/l either running or parts truck. I have a feeling that parts from Oshkosh would be close to a poor quality truck from g/l.
Goodguy, you are right. That`s a brilliant idea. I will have to find the cheapest m1070 on GL. Thank you very much for the idea. Then I have spare parts of mostly everything. But if I find a truck at a private owner it might be cheaper also for now. Have to check.

glepaco

Referring to putting it into 8x8 or throwing into neutral.

As far as 8x8, yes anytime. But if you were in low it should have already been engaged.

Throwing it into neutral can be done but not recommend as you won't be able to get it back into high or low because of shaft speed. Plus you would never want to disconnect driveline from engine when climbing or going downhill.

Put engine brake on high, put it on 1-2 and use the trolly brake to put a pulling resistance on the truck.
Thank you for the information. I wasn`t sure if it was good for the driveline to engage it while running and climbing the mountain. Now I`m more at ease that I don`t damage anything. But these trucks are not full 8x8 right, with the driveline in lock position and in low gear to engage the interlock. Because even if I engage everything, sometimes 1 side of an axle won`t turn. Or they going sometimes both sides together or alternately. Please check it out at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-JDUzH2n-4 . It looks like the side which is lighter will turn easier?

Last edited:

peteanb

Hi everybody, i own a M1070 HET,
and i have trouble with the engine it does not start right after i park the vehicle , i tryed to read the codes on the ecm and it has 2 codes,
the crankshaft position sensor signal to low
the cooling level sensor low,
i noticed that the ignition relay over the doghouse is to hot,
does anybody can tell me where is the location of the position sensors on the 8v92,
and where can i find a complete wiring diagram, and also pneumatic diagrams and repair manuals
anybody have experience with this troubles ?

ke5eua

Thank you for the information. I wasn`t sure if it was good for the driveline to engage it while running and climbing the mountain. Now I`m more at ease that I don`t damage anything. But these trucks are not full 8x8 right, with the driveline in lock position and in low gear to engage the interlock. Because even if I engage everything, sometimes 1 side of an axle won`t turn. Or they going sometimes both sides together or alternately. Please check it out at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-JDUzH2n-4 . It looks like the side which is lighter will turn easier?

Sorry for not seeing this earlier.

That is the limited slip.

Remember you have multiple limited slips in the mix also. Makes it very interesting when trying to get out of a hole. That is why you see alternating spinning. You might notice one axle not spin at all sometimes, it's just part of the "private don't break it" mechanics.

Man you are winding her out in that video. Did you have her aired down all the way? That mud reminds me of some good 'ole Georgia clay. I learned fast 4x4 was getting me deeper, would go through that stuff in 4x2 in my old jeep and just take her easy.

If your CTIS is working correctly use it to your advantage in that stuff. Once in low it will lock in the front drive so you don't have to worry about that. Winding her out in low isn't going to do to much than burn diesel, tires can only spin so fast, and once they loose grip it's going to break and like you had slide.

As far as the diagrams, those should be in the -20 manual. They aren't posted but I'll see about getting those uploaded as they are available for public release.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just read the question about shifting front wheel drive in and shifting from high to low WHILE MOVING, the -10, you know the operators manual, has about a dozen WARNINGS about NOT shifting in the front axle OR shifting into low while moving, it states that you WILL break something, I DID read the -10, I am sure that anybody that reads the -10 WILL have seen the same warnings so as not to break something..

M920

I just read the question about shifting front wheel drive in and shifting from high to low WHILE MOVING, the -10, you know the operators manual, has about a dozen WARNINGS about NOT shifting in the front axle OR shifting into low while moving, it states that you WILL break something, I DID read the -10, I am sure that anybody that reads the -10 WILL have seen the same warnings so as not to break something..
The -10 TM probably does not want to confuse the drivers by separating the two actions. It is absolutely ok to engage and disengage the front axle while moving, as long as there is NO wheel spin on ANY of the other axles.
Not so much for the low range engagement. This should only be done when stopped or even better; rolling at dead slow speed (rolling the truck slightly will help the gears mesh easier). Always put the transmission in to neutral when shifting in and out of low range!
Also it can sometimes happen, that if one shifts the transfer case hi lo lever to slowly, it can get 'stuck' in neutral on the TC. This will be very obvious, since it will cause some gear grinding in both directions, trying hi- or lo-range. The simple solution to this is to shut the engine off, shift to the desired range and re-start the engine.

Hope this helps....

Soni

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everybody, i own a M1070 HET,
and i have trouble with the engine it does not start right after i park the vehicle , i tryed to read the codes on the ecm and it has 2 codes,
the crankshaft position sensor signal to low
the cooling level sensor low,
i noticed that the ignition relay over the doghouse is to hot,
does anybody can tell me where is the location of the position sensors on the 8v92,
and where can i find a complete wiring diagram, and also pneumatic diagrams and repair manuals
anybody have experience with this troubles ?
Hola amigo, go to www.liberatedmanuals.com for all the HET manuals. The manuals are very helpful with diagnosis for the problems you are having. I would say your no start issue has to do with the position sensor. Most likely the connections to it are marginal and causing too high resistance in the circuit, which gets worse when hot.

Shark Bait

The -10 TM probably does not want to confuse the drivers by separating the two actions. It is absolutely ok to engage and disengage the front axle while moving, as long as there is NO wheel spin on ANY of the other axles.
Not so much for the low range engagement. This should only be done when stopped or even better; rolling at dead slow speed (rolling the truck slightly will help the gears mesh easier). Always put the transmission in to neutral when shifting in and out of low range!
Also it can sometimes happen, that if one shifts the transfer case hi lo lever to slowly, it can get 'stuck' in neutral on the TC. This will be very obvious, since it will cause some gear grinding in both directions, trying hi- or lo-range. The simple solution to this is to shut the engine off, shift to the desired range and re-start the engine.

Hope this helps....

Soni
One of the -TM does say it is ok to engage the front axle while moving, and the same on the transfer case. Stopped or a slight neutral roll.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks