• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Tech & Tips

glepaco

Hello...did any of you change the air suspension from the 2nd and 3rd axle to a spring suspension. I don`t really like the air suspension for of-road with logs. Would it be a problem if I put a set of springs over walking beam suspension (60000lbs capacity) for those 2 axles and leave the 4th axle on air?
Any advise would be very welcome. Thank you in advance

tatra813

OK, Ok......Well im working on the fifth wheel project. I scored a slider off a wrecked truck, I plan on moving the center back aprox. 3 feet or 64" to center from rear or center of the back two axles. Two problems ive run into are the fitting for the rear steering box sticks up above the frame and the mounting for rear axle is also in the way of the angle mount. To solve this problem Ive made new angle brackets from a M35A2 frame that will bring up the mounts 1 1/2" to clear the fitting and provide strength for the square that needs to be cut out for the axle mount. Here are a few pics so far, I don't have a bunch of fancy fab tools and nice shop like some of the other members here but used a skill saw with metal blade to cut the frame and a hand held drill so far. I will be finishing project in the next few days and will post up more pics.[/QUOTE

What. Trailer do you have that you will tow with the hitch setup you just put on?
Im getting a m1070 and am need to tow a 42k lb dozer. Trying to figure trailer options? What will work with the trailer so high. ?

tommybilt

I've searched and cannot find an answer. I have a '94 M1070 and everytime we go to full throttle a solenoid closes on the fuel return line which in turn pressurizes the whole system and the secondary fuel filter blows out! Is this a rewire job gone wrong in its previous life? Why would there even be a shut off on the return fuel? Help!

tatra813

You will have to get a wiring diagram and see what controls the selenoid. Voltage may be dropping enough for it to deenergize

check harness and connections. Or just run new wiring

glepaco

Hello...does anyone of you who owns a het tuned the 8v92TA engine? I`ve been told that if you have a higher HP and higher torque you will have a better fuel consumption. Can I just let the engine tuneup through the DDEC III and bring it to 550 or 650 HP and 1700 lbs-ft without changing hardware components like injectors, turbo etc? I`m not really an engine mechanic, but I would like to get someone program it for me so we can have a better fuel consumption and run a little bit faster. Right now we are running about 1.55mpg with full load. Its that normal for a Het to consume? Please advise...Thank you

DrillerSurplus

Hello...does anyone of you who owns a het tuned the 8v92TA engine? I`ve been told that if you have a higher HP and higher torque you will have a better fuel consumption. Can I just let the engine tuneup through the DDEC III and bring it to 550 or 650 HP and 1700 lbs-ft without changing hardware components like injectors, turbo etc? I`m not really an engine mechanic, but I would like to get someone program it for me so we can have a better fuel consumption and run a little bit faster. Right now we are running about 1.55mpg with full load. Its that normal for a Het to consume? Please advise...Thank you
I looked into getting more horsepower out of the 8V92 a couple of years ago. It seemed like there wasn't much out there on trucks or military applications, but I found a lot of information on some sites discussing using Detroit 2 strokes in marine applications. I'll see if I saved any information. I think you would probably have to change to bigger injectors if you are going to gain a bunch of horsepower-I'd guess that does not bode well for getting better mpg.

I wonder how much difference an air to air after cooler like commercial trucks have would make- has anyone tried that?

snowtrac nome

With a 2 stroke more hp wont equate to better mileage, the way you drive it will. You could likely do some mods in the shift programing on the transmission to squeak a little bit more mileage out of a tank. the bog problem is you have a lot of big tires and weight miles per gallon isn't going to be very good you look at heavy haul trucks in the civilian market and 3 to 5 mpg is all they are getting. if you want mpg getting something painted in cammo is a bad idea.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
For more hp, the pump, injectors, computer, gets tweaked or or replace, a few other things as well, as far as mpg, not going to happen unless gearing to the ground is changed, as stock nada because the engine is a high rpm use, the power band is close to the top of the rpm range, this is the same for most 2 stroke detroits, that is why the old nickname for these engines was screaming jimmy.

glepaco

Hello guys...I need your help on the M1070. My interaxle differential lock got messed up from the third axle, and I bought another one. But now there is a difference between them. The original one has 26 teeth on the interaxle and 26 teeth on the side gear and the new one has 29 teeth on both the interaxle plus the side gear.
Can I use the new one with 29 teeth since there is no ratio on them? It stays 1:1. Or will it affect the ratio on the 4th axle?

Another question:
The ring gear and pinion on the steering axles (first and last one) are right handed and the 2 middle axles are left handed. Is there a reason why they build it this way and would it be a problem if you install a RH on one of the middle axles which is LH original. Thank you in advance for all your help.

71DeuceAK

Fascinating thread! I myself am one day going to have to buy myself an M1070, and threads like this are invaluable to me. Threads like this on the Deuce and a Half and M939 Series 5 tons eventually turned me into what other people call a wealth of knowledge.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hello guys...I need your help on the M1070. My interaxle differential lock got messed up from the third axle, and I bought another one. But now there is a difference between them. The original one has 26 teeth on the interaxle and 26 teeth on the side gear and the new one has 29 teeth on both the interaxle plus the side gear.
Can I use the new one with 29 teeth since there is no ratio on them? It stays 1:1. Or will it affect the ratio on the 4th axle?

Another question:
The ring gear and pinion on the steering axles (first and last one) are right handed and the 2 middle axles are left handed. Is there a reason why they build it this way and would it be a problem if you install a RH on one of the middle axles which is LH original. Thank you in advance for all your help.
The answer is should be YES and NO,

Yes as long as the ratio stays the same, should be no difference.

No because how the diffs are placed, putting a LH in place of a RH or vice a-versa will change the direction of rotation, this would be BAD for a multi axle truck and a REAL surprise with a single axle.

glepaco

The answer is should be YES and NO,

Yes as long as the ratio stays the same, should be no difference.

No because how the diffs are placed, putting a LH in place of a RH or vice a-versa will change the direction of rotation, this would be BAD for a multi axle truck and a REAL surprise with a single axle.
Thank you very much for your advise 73M819.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks