• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 camper in the Glamis dunes Thanksgiving 2016

Duckworthe

Do you have a wall fridge as well? Or, what is the door in the wall across from the seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I have a standard fridge freezer and the deep freeze/fridge. I can use the deep freeze unit in this truck or my 4x4 camper van. I tend to use this truck more though so I keep it in this unit.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like this build. I have also toyed with the idea of a 4x4 van like you mentioned. Camping and fishing on the outer banks is one of my favorite things and this would be the ticket! Thank you for posting the pics.

Duckworthe

I see you have added a # 2 fuel tank. Any problems with it when full ? Tilting to one side ?
I don't have any troubles leaning do to added weight as I planned out the placement of my items. However, when the tanks are empty I do lean a little to the drivers side. Because fuel and water weight are variables, always changing, It is ideal to have them centerline. but as we know that isn't really possible on these trucks. unless you go way out on your scope of build. I stuck with "KISS" Keep it simple stupid. I do at times let my mind wander and try to make easy things hard.

Duckworthe

I really like this build. I have also toyed with the idea of a 4x4 van like you mentioned. Camping and fishing on the outer banks is one of my favorite things and this would be the ticket! Thank you for posting the pics.
Thanks for the comment. It really is a great truck and camper. Oxyacetylene, the rest of this response isn't pointed directly at you. But I will put it here for all. I have many members and locals come out and go through it. I have spent over 7 hours with some who look at it. I tell them everything good thing and some things I might do different. Then I take them and let them drive it, on and off road. I was thinking of building them for people, but that thought has passed. I want to enjoy my build, not enjoy building others rigs. Time to enjoy mine. I also think that people will enjoy theirs more if they put there own sweat and tears into it. I will tell everyone that I am under 30k into this build. Go build one don't buy one completed for over 300k. if you cant weld the frame, farm that part out then do the rest yourself. I used a $200 table saw to build all the non metal parts. I do however own the welder and metal working tools. all I needed was the welder, chopsaw, cutoff wheel on 4 inch grinder, hand shears. I had to have the corner cap aluminum bent on my works 12 ft brake. It really only took basic hand tools to do. If anyone has questions I will do my best to answer them.
Eric 619-952-4337

BuiltMFG

I'm in a similar boat, basic tools, table-saw and a 110 welder. Just got the truck a month ago and going through the truck now, learning, finding and fixing things before I start on a major build. The learning curve is pretty steep but this site has been invaluable. I'm planning a year and a half to get it done and eventually work out of it and travel. Luckly I have two friends, one does structural steel and the other is a cabinet maker... Now if I just knew a CAT mechanic that needs design/marketing, LOL

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a multi year project. I need it as a truck now to move supplies but in a year or two I dream of a rig like yours. Excellent work!!! I'm also thinking about a trailer to tow behind it to carry more fuel, water, small gen, and the bikes. I have dreams of traversing northern Canada and fuel stops can be far apart

Duckworthe

Mine is a multi year project. I need it as a truck now to move supplies but in a year or two I dream of a rig like yours. Excellent work!!! I'm also thinking about a trailer to tow behind it to carry more fuel, water, small gen, and the bikes. I have dreams of traversing northern Canada and fuel stops can be far apart
I would like to do a trip from as far north down to tip of South America. That's my goal anyway.

Duckworthe

It's looking great, Eric. I'm glad to see you are using it so much.
Hey Michael! Thanks! yes I use it every week. next week I will be out in the mountains working and will stay in it the whole week. Going to meet with another couple Friday and let them see it. Hopefully they will catch the bug also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks