• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 jump question

Looking for info on jumping a M1078 vehicle with low/dead batteries (I don't have a m1078, just trying to become a little more knowledgeable of them). Does the M1078 have the newer style 1-pin Slave Cable Port/Connector that is found on vehicles such as the M923 / M939 series? Can a M923 be used to jump a M1078 using a standard slave cable.

SWAT54

The Port is located on the driver's side just to the rear of the fiberglass battery box. Standard one pin slave cable will be needed.

PanamaMV

My apologies been searching but not found yet....... so going to ask here in this old thread.

.What is best way to jump start without a NATO jump plug. Say with a 12v jump box and an Auto. Would want myself and everyone to hook things up right so not to put 24v thru 12v side.
. For idiots (been known to FUBAR more than occasionally) what would one do if they did get 24v thru 12side? Suspect some relay's would have to be replaced.
. There is a Rev. Polarity Protection box... does it protect from this as well? (assume not).
. if did do a Rev. Polarity FUBAR.. does one need to reset the Polarity Box? If so how?

Been reading other threads an it seems Suprman seems to answer a lot of Electrical stuff.... What do you say sir?

PS- if thread exist on topic please link to or offer search terms to help find.

Here is Battery Diagrams for A0 and A1 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?158074-FMTV-Battery-hook-up-diagram

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Theres no reset on the polarity protective box im pretty sure its just a diode array. You can use a pair of 12 volt
jump packs to start a lmtv. One across a back battery and one across a front battery. Proper polarity connected of course.

PanamaMV

Old guys who are pretty confident at mechanicals........get older. Confidence stays...... yet age starts sneaking in bad decisions anyway. So it is bound to happen to hook up 24v any which way like farmers use too (polarity correct) .
Lot of older folk like MV's! Looking at one to help fix and get the feeling something's amiss. Knowing ahead of time on potential solutions will help diagnose and decisions.

So care to entertain what to look for to see if 24v went thru the 12v side? What to do if it appears so?

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
A pair of 12 volt batteries in series gives you 24 volt. 12 volt is tapped between the two. 2 Pairs are in parallel for more cranking current. A 12 volt jump pack across a 12 volt battery works well. As long as its in proper polarity. You want to have a jump pack on each battery on one pair so you can have 24 volts. Having good batteries and keeping them maintained by regular operation or trickle charging is good practice. If you hook up a jump pack backwards across a battery chances are you will know it pretty fast. So check polarity twice so you only have to connect once.

PanamaMV

....If you hook up a jump pack backwards across a battery chances are you will know it pretty fast.
Sounds like your saying the Isolator would just stop things on the side it was backward (be it the 12 or 24v side) leaving the one that is correct still working? Thus in some respects may not be quickly noticeable.
Jump was tried earlier. Am diagnosing "after effects". Not got whole story figured out cept that from your description of "right way". was not followed. So not sure now if dealing with Rev. polarity?? 24v too 12v side orr both. just don't know yet. Someone tried to help someone else kinda thing. All I know is the fella said.... "couldn't see what's What on back batteries so hooked it all up to the front ones where I could see things. cept one neg on a back one".... "pretty sure it was neg" .

Fun fun. Figuring this one out. Was all kinda neat things at that place. Think I'll pass on dealing with this and tell them to hire a shop?

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the batteries, test them and confirm they're good and fully charged and put them back... or just replace them with known-good batteries.. and see what you've got.

I speculate (and it is blatant speculation) that hooking up incorrectly would be more likely to damage the equipment you're jumping from than to damage the truck.... (someone can correct my unwarranted assumption if I'm wrong..)

Or you can pay a shop $90/hr, and they'll almost certainly start by doing what I advocate....

Last edited:

PanamaMV

On the Circuit Breakers..... "black button". Is that a disconnect orr? like do you push once to connect and push again to disconnect? Is there any indicator when it is tripped beside something not working? Talked to the fellow today and he mentioned pushing button on a circuit breaker that killed the engine and then nothing on dash worked after. Dang this is like a detective job getting bits and pieces as they are recalled. Still going to have shop take over but want to give details as much as possible. Just a gut feeling that is best.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a button left side of the panel start inhibit. Dont press it. If you do decide to press it for some unknown reason, shut the main power switch off then back on again to reset.

PanamaMV

There is a button left side of the panel start inhibit. Dont press it. If you do decide to press it for some unknown reason, shut the main power switch off then back on again to reset.
for future reference- "Main Power Switch" The one on the dash?

To previous question was referring to the little black button on each Circuit Breaker.

coachgeo

.... You can use a pair of 12 volt jump packs to start a lmtv. One across a back battery and one across a front battery. Proper polarity connected of course.
Front and back is vague.... (front of truck, or Front of box when looking down..... but is that front by the chassis...... or front is outside two and those furthest in are the back? is it a bank

So by diagram is it (assuming diagram is looking down at the batteries as they sit in their box A0)

(A)battery one is where you hook up one jump pack - and battery 3 for the second ? (this is my guess)

or

(b) hook one jump box/cables across the 12v bank made up of battery's 1 and 2 (+lead to #1, -Lead to #2) ........ and the other hook up across battery bank made up of 3 and 4? (+lead to 3, -lead to 4)

jumpstarting.jpg

Last edited:

coachgeo

If I understand Will/suprman correct

* one bank of 12v is made up from the two battery by chassis (#1, 2) other banks is other two battery outboard in the battery box. That bank is also 12v. The two banks wired together make 24v

Jumping

. with two equal 12v sources: HOOK UP each of the two jump sources to one of the battery's in each Bank. Example Battery #1 or 2 hooked up like typical battery jump arrangement for the bank by the chassis. AND also hook up to battery 3 or 4 at same time and in same way- Then you are ready to Jump away. This is choice (A) described previous post.

Charging

. charging one bank at a time with 12v source: HOOK UP a 12v charger using #1+, #2-. either when done charging that bank... or with separate but equal 12v charger, then hook up #3+ and #4- . This was much like option (b) in previous post

. BEST when you get to a location you can charge at..... charge each battery FULLY and separately ASAP to get an equal charge in each battery

Last edited:

theeagle

Is it possible to jump m1079 from a single vehicle?

I just just pulled mine out of fence parked on side of the road to get to another trailer, went 20 minutes later to get in it, and it won't start. I don't have any batter packs or extra batteries, just a suburban and a set of jumpers that can be used.

Any suggestions?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks