• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078/M1079 for overland camper?

We've been makings steady progress, but you can really start to see it come together recently. All the painting is done and we are starting to reassemble all the refurbished parts.

Michael

vehicle-42917.jpg

Moraurah

This is awesome, thank you for sharing. I can't wait to see how you will build de camper box. I am quite jealous as I don't think I will be getting my truck this year. I will keep following your blog weekly for sure. Thanks to you, I will be fully prepared for my build.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW Michael your truck looks fantastic! You've made some good progress since I visited last year....keep up the great work!

ramdough

I am enjoying watching the progress. I have been following your blog and posts here and on other forums.

When are you going to post your camper design? I saw pictures of your model, but no detail has been posted. Is that coming, or are you only showing the build progress and no design progress.

Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
General Question: To Bed, or De-bed? The LMTV has almost zero frame flex from what I have seen. Many builds I have followed remove the bed to do a build. Why not retain it and build a hab on top? I'm looking at RV black, grey and fresh water tanks that would easily fit in the 7" space below the stock bed. Plenty of room under there for tanks.

Is pulling off the bed really worth saving the 9" and the trouble of creating a new frame for the hab??

Lets hear it from you builders out there..

Pointman

coachgeo

General Question: To Bed, or De-bed? ...Is pulling off the bed really worth saving the 9" and the trouble of creating a new frame for the hab??

Lets hear it from you builders out there...
IMHO yes... cause it is a good way to shed 2500 pounds before adding weight of the camper box. Wonder how much Flex they "dont have" is based on the bed's subframe being bolted onto the chassis?

Masspilot

Yes as u all have seen I am in the process of building my RV and loosing that bed saved me 2500 lbs of additional weight my new super structure for the RV body weighs in at just under 1700 lbs and it has no flex in it either and I have plenty of room to still mount tanks. KIMG0186.jpg

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent and thanks for the response.

What are you planning for the siding, Insulation and interior wall materials? would love to see a floor plan.

This looks about where I plan to be with my Hab..

Pointman

Chris H

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Tonight I saw picts of a M1088 anti-torsion suspension in operation. Problem was, when the guy stressed the suspension, it really did not bend much at the base frame. Thus I questioned the need for it.

I guess I could put a box on and just see how it does. Open to comments : )

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
M1088 has a heavier duty rear spring pack compared to the M1083 cargo. Made to handle more weight over the rear axles. Funny m939 frame will twist and bend. Lmtv frame not so much. The rear axles are made to move and the dogbones between them keep them in line with each other.

Terrh

Few comments:

I'm not on the other forum you have it posted for sale on - but the most recent post on there is a Canadian asking if it can be exported.
There is no export regulation on the LMTV to Canada - they are 100% legal here. They were even sold new as civilian units in some parts of Canada as the Bronto BR6. Great trucks for oil field work. I have imported many cars and trucks into Canada and the process is relatively easy for 15+ year old vehicles. Send me a PM on here if you have any questions on the process.

I am sad that you are selling this - your restoration work to it is incredibly detailed and I think you've made the nicest LMTV I've ever seen. If you are looking for a similar, but smaller vehicle and still want forward controls, we've got them up here in the form of the LSVW.

If you are done with wanting to do resto work due to health issues - it's hard to argue against buying a slide in and dropping it in the back of an F-350 and going camping. Any old 3/4+ ton pickup truck is ridiculously capable off road and will take you places you'll be surprised to get.

Whatever route you decide to take, I hope the road to get there is interesting!

Another Ahab

If you are done with wanting to do resto work due to health issues - it's hard to argue against buying a slide in and dropping it in the back of an F-350 and going camping. Any old 3/4+ ton pickup truck is ridiculously capable off road and will take you places you'll be surprised to get.

Whatever route you decide to take, I hope the road to get there is interesting!
A second to that motion.

And thank you for a very excellent thread.

:tank::beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks