• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 - M1083 Cab Air Suspension Bags/

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the cab air ride I’m kinda on the fence right now.
When I’m driving there is a knocking so I thing the shocks are bad but the airbags seem okay and stay inflated.
Buy the replacement bags/shocks and have them sent to me for around $ $750-$800 total or buy the complete replacement kit from Midwest Military Equipment and have them sent to me for around $1,050-$1,075 total. A difference of about $300 which in the main scheme of thing isn’t that bad. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not into throwing money away…oh yeah, I have an FMTV 🤪

The main pros and cons for me are:
1. The replacement bags are the bag and shock together where as the new system the bag and shock are separate. You can buy the shock and bag independent of each other and are readily available at a fraction of the cost of the replacements.
2. The new kit is just that, new. All the videos of the guys and posts I’ve seen using the new kit seem to really like them.
3. The new kit is not keeping with the original look but similar function. The new kit does little if anything to protect the air bag or shock from rock or debris damage. Not that I will be driving it like the military did or would do, so not a big deal for me. But, the new kit is open and you can clearly see the bag and shock to check for function and damage and must simpler to do maintenance or repair.
4. Installation of both systems are kind of a push for me.
5. One thing that I did read/see is that with the new kit, if you use the larger tires it was reported that the tire may rub the shock a little at a full turning radius?
6. As mentioned above, the PS magazine states that the bags should be kept inflated at all times except if in transport or the bags could be damaged by the internal shock pitching the bag. The new kit, not an issue.

So after I read what I just wrote it seems like I’m leaning toward the new kit, but I’m still on the fence. I have until spring to decide because that is when I would do the repair.
Well, that’s my 2cents, what it’s worth.

Tom.
You know if I were going to spend time driving any distance I probably would use the new style that you show in the YouTube video. It seems more practical and that the mechanical shock would work in there well. Price on it seems reasonable. Being able to work on it seems quite accessible. Let us know how it works if you get it.

coachgeo

...it say Firestone on the bag is because in building them, they purchase that part from Firestone...
The sleeve (what most call a "bag" ) is made by couple manufactures. They just happen to buy them on contract from firestone. Not sure if the size/design of the sleeve is out of the ordinary butttt I think not... since they have had previously made these using other manufactures sleeves.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here I am into January and now starting on the Air Bag replacement. Not complicated, just procedural. But of course one runs into a snag and therefore here I am.
Once you remove the air bag assembly you can disassemble to replace the bag. The snag is that coming out of the air bag is a shaft that runs into the middle of the air bag and is connected by a through pin about 1/2" in diameter. You remove that pin and pull the shaft out. On the end of that shaft that the pin runs through are two half bushings that are going to need replacing. I didn't know that so I am kind of at a stand to either find something to make a bushing out of or see if anyone can direct me to replacement bushings or what they used to replace the bushings.
If need be I can take pictures of what I am speaking. It is also a precautionary that if you are going to do this job on your own then it would be best to secure the bushings ahead of time.

coachgeo

I deleted. I was unaware it was an issue....
did you read them? Though rules on them are different than many discussions sites..... they do sorta allow it with some caveats. Hence why was suggesting reading them. Apologize if I overstated it.

near bottom of the rules page is the material to review.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here I am into January and now starting on the Air Bag replacement. Not complicated, just procedural. But of course one runs into a snag and therefore here I am.
Once you remove the air bag assembly you can disassemble to replace the bag. The snag is that coming out of the air bag is a shaft that runs into the middle of the air bag and is connected by a through pin about 1/2" in diameter. You remove that pin and pull the shaft out. On the end of that shaft that the pin runs through are two half bushings that are going to need replacing. I didn't know that so I am kind of at a stand to either find something to make a bushing out of or see if anyone can direct me to replacement bushings or what they used to replace the bushings.
If need be I can take pictures of what I am speaking. It is also a precautionary that if you are going to do this job on your own then it would be best to secure the bushings ahead of time.
So does this mean you got your new bags in less than 20 weeks?

RRaulston

did you read them? Though rules on them are different than many discussions sites..... they do sorta allow it with some caveats. Hence why was suggesting reading them. Apologize if I overstated it.

near bottom of the rules page is the material to review.

I did read them. And, not being a lawyer, I don't "think" it was an issue posting it, but not 100% sure, so I got rid of it. Not a big deal. Such a score if they could be had at a reasonable price!!

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did read them. And, not being a lawyer, I don't "think" it was an issue posting it, but not 100% sure, so I got rid of it. Not a big deal. Such a score if they could be had at a reasonable price!!
Wow, don't sweat it. I've read the rules before and I don't see that you've done anything wrong. I can say that I've seen several of those rules broken many times before...especially the one on titling a HMMWV...no offense to HMMWV owners, just saying.

Those items will be purchased by a reseller at a high price and sold at even higher price.

Just my 2cents.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I'd record the repair of the air bags so I posted on YouTube with this link
Please critique but I know the filming is bad and I know my repair is primitive. It get's the truck back in service service and I can make correct bushings now that I have the measurements.
The intent for the video is to show what is in there if you never have been there. I hadn't seen one posted elsewhere. If there is already one posted somewhere please bring it to our attention. Thank you guys.

coachgeo

I thought I'd record the repair of the air bags so I posted on YouTube with this link
Please critique but I know the filming is bad and I know my repair is primitive. It get's the truck back in service service and I can make correct bushings now that I have the measurements.
The intent for the video is to show what is in there if you never have been there. I hadn't seen one posted elsewhere. If there is already one posted somewhere please bring it to our attention. Thank you guys.
much appreciate. Curios if the shock has a limit stop. It may not since the metal can on the outside; beside little armor protection for bag, may also be the limit stop (to keep from over compressing shock when all air is out bag and to keep from lowering too much; thus stretching the bag beyond spec. ?

PS- when one searches for these.... the bag part is actually termed a "sleeve" Ive got a thread (or put info inside a thread... I forget) about the sleeve(s) and how they are crimped on etc. Year or so ago.

you meantioned someone made the donut ? who makes the donut?

Ronmar

much appreciate. Curios if the shock has a limit stop. It may not since the metal can on the outside; beside little armor protection for bag, may also be the limit stop (to keep from over compressing shock when all air is out bag and to keep from lowering too much; thus stretching the bag beyond spec. ?

PS- when one searches for these.... the bag part is actually termed a "sleeve" Ive got a thread (or put info inside a thread... I forget) about the sleeve(s) and how they are crimped on etc. Year or so ago.

The shock IS the limit stop as it is in many suspension systems…

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter

What donut are you referring to? If you are speaking of the alternate air ride system I have the name and I believe it was listed on eBay. And the shock is the limiter for how far the travel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks