• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes this project is still going on. Long story but started doing a few more things to the truck. Working on the top and put the blinker switch and exhaust heat shield on.
Looks like she is coming together nicely!

m715mike

That looks great.

How did you remove the foam? What was your process and what materials and tools did you use?

I have a hard top that needs the same thing done to it

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a wood chisel to get under the foam and worked it with my hand to remove the foam. It came up fairly easy. In the rear corners I had to tap the chisel with a hammer as I didn’t have enough leverage. Cleaned the remaining foam residue off with a wire wheel on my die grinder, wiped it down with some xylene. The foam under the boards was in great shape so I only plan to replace what you see. Used a utility knife and strait edge to cut the bad from the good

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the top liner finished and put the top on the truck. it’s not attached . Had to drill window frame for the hardtop front bolts.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put the work light brackets back on. My plan is to get it all done mechanically and working which is not much then finish up the exterior and paint. Installed a couple of hoses on the crane as well.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will be one nice truck! It always amazes me how intricate the solutions to some demands were; today you would install some short LED light bars that turn night into day. Back then there were the bracketry and swing-out arms for the work lights that were nowhere near the brightness of today's light but sure beat working by feel in the pitch black darkness!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That will be one nice truck! It always amazes me how intricate the solutions to some demands were; today you would install some short LED light bars that turn night into day. Back then there were the bracketry and swing-out arms for the work lights that were nowhere near the brightness of today's light but sure beat working by feel in the pitch black darkness!
True. The light brackets are one my my favorite parts of the M108. I’m lucky to have all the pieces.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
True. The light brackets are one my my favorite parts of the M108. I’m lucky to have all the pieces.
I LOVE the 108 light brackets too. Super cool

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was able to run the truck today and………….OPERATE THE CRANE! First time in the sun in years. Still a few issues. But All the big stuff works I have video but guess it has to upload on you tube and post a link

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks