• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1087 Aquired

Jeep Nasty

I picked up this m1087 with the intention of flipping it. The auction listing was terrible with one photo and no details, but I took a chance thinking I recognized the truck from its previous municipality that had it sitting out behind their highway department.

I was right and lucked out. The local agency could not find the SF-97 and never titled or registered it. After a lot of paperwork with DMV, I’m waiting for the new title.

It’s a 1994 with CAT 3116 with 11,000 miles.

It was apparently one of the proof of concept m1087 trucks so the box is a little different and has larger windows then The final production m1087 box. I think it also came on an extra long wheelbase truck. I seem to have more space between the front of the box and the cab due to the extra wheelbase.

The more I drive this truck, the more I like it. I would love to sell some of my other trucks and keep this, but the crazy money these have gone for makes it hard to hold onto unless my other stuff sells first. It drives like a dream up to 55mph

We recovered the truck without major issues after putting in new batteries and swapping some tires.

Fixes completed so far:

4 new tires
4 new batteries
Seat covers
Electric hydraulic pump to raise cab
Replacement manual pump
New drag link assembly
Engine oil and filters
Transmission oil and filters
Air filter
Fuel filters
Axles oil changed
Hubs, brakes, bearings checked
Coolant drained and flushed
Numerous air valves and check valve inspected and replaced
Led headlights
Cab lock latch replaced
Wiper blades
Driveshafts inspected
Steering inspected
Air freshener

Pending items ready to do:
Led brake lights and turn signals
Oil pressure, fuel level and voltage gauges need to test gages and sending units.

The box
It is a blank canvass for a great overland build. I love the truck “Bantha” that a couple built and will definitely be my inspiration if I get to keep this truck and build it.

We will see what happens, but what a fun truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I remember making notes about it on facebook. The data plates are all kinds of screwy as is the door dimensions plate (M1087A1.. yeah ok). It's a pretty sweet find so discover he secrets before you/if you part ways with her. I've been curious if the truck was an M1085 prior to getting the box despite the box predating the chassis assuming the data plates are correct. One of the preproduction units I have was the first M1088 but they converted it into a M1083. Neat history!

Jeep Nasty

Yup, I remember making notes about it on facebook. The data plates are all kinds of screwy as is the door dimensions plate (M1087A1.. yeah ok). It's a pretty sweet find so discover he secrets before you/if you part ways with her. I've been curious if the truck was an M1085 prior to getting the box despite the box predating the chassis assuming the data plates are correct. One of the preproduction units I have was the first M1088 but they converted it into a M1083. Neat history!
Yes, sorry I actually posted the wrong data plate in the first set of pictures that was one that I download it to compare to my data plate
Because the dimensions seem to be the same on the data plates, but don’t seem to match up to the truck. Here are some photos of the data plates in my truck for the curious and historians the serial number on the box indicates this was the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very awesome find!
I like that it has the bigger windows because frankly the standard windows on that kind of box or on the older expansible van body such as that I have the windows are too small and too high. Can you take some good pictures of how the box is mounted to the chassis? I'm still trying to decide how I will mount that expansible van body from that m313 trailer that I have onto my m1083.
Frankly if I find that kind of expansible man body for sale by itself I'd rather get that and abandon my trailer then go with one on my trailer. It opens so more nicely and easilyv with less areas for leaks.

Third From Texas

Sounds like most LMTV's to me.
They ride like a buckboard.

View attachment 886218

Or any other vehicle with four square wheels...
It doesn't take a lot to make it ride better
Oh, I get it. I've had both A0 and A1R.

But the A1R literally has no cab suspension. No airbag, no shock, no nothing due to the anticipated armor upgrade.

I'm always looking at mods as a result...

I considered putting an entire A0 air ride system on my truck, but it's just more stuff to fail.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know, I saw that. I've often wondered why you couldn't delete the air portion of the cab suspension and replace it with a shock. I see that you can.
As soon as i saw the post i spotted the coil over shocks and said thats what i want on mine but where to find them and not be crazy high on the price ! Without being told to look at the TM for a 1087 i wonder do they show this shock on all of them its the first one ive seen !

coachgeo

As soon as i saw the post i spotted the coil over shocks and said thats what i want on mine but where to find them and not be crazy high on the price ! Without being told to look at the TM for a 1087 i wonder do they show this shock on all of them its the first one ive seen !
it is probably the Steyr shock. All the Steyr Expedtion Truck builders use suspension seats cause the cab suspension suck so bad. Harder to do than looks. Height of suspensions seats way higher. Xcap upgrade a mod to put two similar shocks instead of one on the rear cab hoop. Steyr guys Ive talked to want to fab in FMTV type A0 cab our air system.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it is probably the Steyr shock. All the Steyr goes use suspension seats cause they suck so bad. Hard to do than looks. Height of suspensions seats way higher. Xpat? upgrade is a mode to put two similar shocks instead of one. Steyr guys Ive talked to want to fab in our air system.
I just want to put them in place when these bags go to leaking and be done with that for good ! If i can run cross 2 that would work in that short space

jhawkins

Hello, just wondering if you still have 3.07 gears for sale. Sorry for posting in the incorrect spot but the start conversation function is currently having technical issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks