• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 camper conversion

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you find the CAD files for the truck or would you be able to share those too?
I forget get exactly where I found the cad files that I then modeled my parts on. It wasn't super accurate and I had to modify and change a lot of things as I went after lots of measuring on my truck. But now it's fairly accurate. Sure I could post the files just double check the measurements of anything first in case if something that I haven't corrected yet and still needs correction. I will figure out this afternoon how to post the files. Perhaps the moderators could put a section where accurate CAD files of various components or whole vehicles can be deposited

Mavcaster

I forget get exactly where I found the cad files that I then modeled my parts on. It wasn't super accurate and I had to modify and change a lot of things as I went after lots of measuring on my truck. But now it's fairly accurate. Sure I could post the files just double check the measurements of anything first in case if something that I haven't corrected yet and still needs correction. I will figure out this afternoon how to post the files. Perhaps the moderators could put a section where accurate CAD files of various components or whole vehicles can be deposited
Thank you that would be awesome, I have a pretty extensive background in 3D modeling as a hobbyist so modifying wouldn't be a problem. If it's easier, maybe you could share over google docs in the meantime since I imagine the file is rather large?

Also any additions I make I would be happy to share with the group. I have access to some pretty cool equipment like 3D scanners and metal printers so likely will try to replicate minor parts instead of buy them when needed.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you that would be awesome, I have a pretty extensive background in 3D modeling as a hobbyist so modifying wouldn't be a problem. If it's easier, maybe you could share over google docs in the meantime since I imagine the file is rather large?

Also any additions I make I would be happy to share with the group. I have access to some pretty cool equipment like 3D scanners and metal printers so likely will try to replicate minor parts instead of buy them when needed.
Also I have made a fairly extensive model of the expansable van body. Here is it shown modified with Windows and doors changed on my 1083
M083 expando.png

Attachments

Mavcaster

Very cool, I’m looking to create my own body if I can ever secure a 1088 to build it on. Looks like you may be using Google Sketchup for the design? Also is that a lift gate on the rear or a fold down platform?

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been working on some pretty non-glamorous tasks, like spraying the interior with Lizard Skin insulation spray and fitting out the remainder of the insulation in the floor- i.e., more work with minimal visible progress. I have started to run the PEX for plumbing and hydronic systems, as well as run a few lines for 12v service, all through the floor. I think I have it laid out well enough that it will remain accessible after build-out- or at least comparably accessible as it would be in the walls. Still have a few lines to run, but making progress.

I physically placed the water heater in the cabin as well, and have ordered a fridge and am close on batteries so I can work out final component placement.

Water pump and accumulator are also installed (not in photo though), along with some valve to allow isolation of the pump, the system, and the tank, as well as a drain for the tank and the system.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been working on some pretty non-glamorous tasks, like spraying the interior with Lizard Skin insulation spray and fitting out the remainder of the insulation in the floor- i.e., more work with minimal visible progress. I have started to run the PEX for plumbing and hydronic systems, as well as run a few lines for 12v service, all through the floor. I think I have it laid out well enough that it will remain accessible after build-out- or at least comparably accessible as it would be in the walls. Still have a few lines to run, but making progress.

I physically placed the water heater in the cabin as well, and have ordered a fridge and am close on batteries so I can work out final component placement.

Water pump and accumulator are also installed (not in photo though), along with some valve to allow isolation of the pump, the system, and the tank, as well as a drain for the tank and the system.
If you haven't seen them yet I really like the batteries from big battery. You can easily remove the batteries from the casing to replace an individual cell everything is serviceable they have built-in upper and lower temperature sensors and a built-in fire extinguisher! They even have one that's long and skinny that will fit inside of an interior wall

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you haven't seen them yet I really like the batteries from big battery. You can easily remove the batteries from the casing to replace an individual cell everything is serviceable they have built-in upper and lower temperature sensors and a built-in fire extinguisher! They even have one that's long and skinny that will fit inside of an interior wall
Was thinking about three of these:

To go with the 1800W of solar panels which I forgot to mention that showed up Saturday:

I'm not quite ready to install them yet but it's 4 x 455W panels on a pallet.

Third From Texas

Was thinking about three of these:

To go with the 1800W of solar panels which I forgot to mention that showed up Saturday:

I'm not quite ready to install them yet but it's 4 x 455W panels on a pallet.
I've been eyeballing server rack batteries as well (only because they are the only lithiums of this scale I've ever had hands-on experience with). My current house batteries are lead acid and and sit in the truck battery box. (which sorta works but it couldn't be a a longer run to my electrical closest). Inside the hab, I only have one place to store them (I'm sort of opposed to putting incendiary ordnance under the bed so that leaves the tiny electrical closet )and it will require a tight little rack system no matter what battery I install (they have to be stacked). That naturally led me to think of server racks.

Looking forward to seeing your setup. Please document it! I have tons of pics that folks have posted but very little documentation of the specifics. I need to start making a build list beyond just tossing crap into my Amazon shopping list for years). LOL

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Inside the hab, I only have one place to store them (I'm sort of opposed to putting incendiary ordnance under the bed so that leaves the tiny electrical closet )and it will require a tight little rack system no matter what battery I install (they have to be stacked). That naturally led me to think of server racks.
I'm in the same boat, although more by design than constraints. I reserved a space for all my mechanicals/electricals/HVAC stuff and the rack system will compliment it nicely. These specific ones were recommended by a local solar guy who I have been consulting with and who will be helping with the install. For me, there's too much going on here and I don't have a pre-existing knowledge base- and things are changing at a rapid pace as well. Upon our initial conversations, I was looking at 4 panels which were more expensive and only (just under) 1600W. Eight months later, I am 200W stronger, some $'s less expensive, and 20 pounds/panel(!!!) lighter!

Looking forward to seeing your setup. Please document it! I have tons of pics that folks have posted but very little documentation of the specifics. I need to start making a build list beyond just tossing crap into my Amazon shopping list for years). LOL
Will happily do so. Panels are from a place called San Tan Solar (link, if interested in checking them out), who deal in surplus distribution. What they have is what they have until the supplies run dry and they're on to the next batch(es). These are mine:

New SolarEver 455W Solar Panel

$257.00

In stock
New SolarEver 455W Solar Panel quantity
Add to cart
The SolarEver 455W is a 9 bus bar Monocrystalline 144 Half Cell solar panel that has high module efficiency, PID resistance, severe weather resilience, durability and excellent performance in low-light conditions.

Features:
  • 20.38 % Module Efficiency
  • Cell Type: Mono PERC
  • Frame: Anodized Aluminum Alloy
  • Junction Box: IP67 Rated
  • 9 Busbar Solar Cell
  • High Durability Against Extreme Environmental Conditions
  • PID Resistance
  • Excellent Performance in Low-Light
Specifications:
  • Power: 455W
  • Maximum Voltage (VMP): 41.51 V
  • Maximum Power Current (IMP): 10.96 A
  • Open Circuit Voltage (VOC): 49.35 V
  • Short Circuit Current (ISC): 11.44 A
  • Maximum Fuse Rating: 20 A
  • Maximum System Voltage: 1500VDC (IEC)
  • Dimensions: 82.44 in x 40.86 in x 1.37
  • Weight: 51.8 lbs.

Link to the listing for the panel (will only be valid as long as they have stock):

No affiliation with them.

I went with the large array 1- because I had the space and 2- because I am in the PNW and want to use the rig in the winter as well. It's not always sunny here.

Oh, and 3- I want to be single fuel, so everything on the rig will be electrical if it's not diesel powered. I will likely cheat in the winter initially and have a gennie for back up until I prove it can be done- or prove it cant...

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The build is progressing slowly but with focus at this point. We have a trip planned in May and I want to use the rig. Been working on getting the walls insulated and closed up. To do that though required doing some wiring and plumbing.... Nothing is ever a straight path from where you are to where you want to be. Good thing I enjoy building!

At this point it's getting close to being able to frame up and rough in the interior. Pardon the panoramic distortion, fwd, looking back:

Back looking fwd:

Astute observers will notice the fridge is in place, although it will need to be removed to complete more of the interior. Hidden underneath it is the water heater and on far side of it is the battery rack. So far everything is going into its pre-determined space. Next battle on the horizon is building the bathroom.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The build is progressing slowly but with focus at this point. We have a trip planned in May and I want to use the rig. Been working on getting the walls insulated and closed up. To do that though required doing some wiring and plumbing.... Nothing is ever a straight path from where you are to where you want to be. Good thing I enjoy building!

At this point it's getting close to being able to frame up and rough in the interior. Pardon the panoramic distortion, fwd, looking back:

Back looking fwd:

Astute observers will notice the fridge is in place, although it will need to be removed to complete more of the interior. Hidden underneath it is the water heater and on far side of it is the battery rack. So far everything is going into its pre-determined space. Next battle on the horizon is building the bathroom.
Keep your doors and windows open as much as possible for a while you dont want to wind up sic from the OSB off gasing like all the folks that used the fema trailers during the last big gulf hurricane ! Some websites say up to 2 years some say less just stay aware ! Keep up the good work it 's to the fun point now of so many decisions of where and how and dont waste ANY room if you can help storage is the name of the game and you cant have enough of it ! lol

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a specific goal last week to get an external urine tank built. Inexplicably, I did.

Not only did I get it built, but also installed and plumbed as well. I was incredibly productive! Talk is cheap, here are pics...

Had to build it in 2 sections, this is the first after getting bent up for welding:

Left and right sections mated, inlet and outlet installed

In position:

Viewed from underneath:

Emptying valve attached and plumbed:

Still need to wire it up to a switch but the whole thing is installed and plumbed back to the bathroom. Very happy with how it went.

Chris

Third From Texas

I had a specific goal last week to get an external urine tank built. Inexplicably, I did.

Not only did I get it built, but also installed and plumbed as well. I was incredibly productive! Talk is cheap, here are pics...

Had to build it in 2 sections, this is the first after getting bent up for welding:

Left and right sections mated, inlet and outlet installed

In position:

Viewed from underneath:

Emptying valve attached and plumbed:

Still need to wire it up to a switch but the whole thing is installed and plumbed back to the bathroom. Very happy with how it went.

Chris
Awesome job.

It's on my "to do" list to make a little fuel tank in that spot.

How many gallons do you figure you got there?

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many gallons do you figure you got there?
Thanks Third! It's been a minute since I've welded alu, but by the end I was feeling pretty good with it. I still need practice putting sheets together without distorting them, but this one will be well hidden.

Capacity will be more than this but.... Approximating the shape as a 6" dia tube which is 46" long, I get ~1300 cubic inches, which converts to roughly 5.6 gallons.

Last edited:

Mavcaster

@ckouba I tried to find it early on in your build but didn't see you mention it...curious when you removed the 5th wheel brake hookups did you just have to remove the lines and cap the fittings at the control valves on the frame?

coachgeo

ohhhhh. like that. Have considered Urine for running solar powered HHO Brown gas for engine cleaning and long upgrades. Urine does not need a catalyst compared to typical HHO system) But .. bit hesitant. My HHO system is from UK ... was test product for city busses..... rare and expensive so Im a bit affered of fawking it up with Urine which can leave hard deposits.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@ckouba I tried to find it early on in your build but didn't see you mention it...curious when you removed the 5th wheel brake hookups did you just have to remove the lines and cap the fittings at the control valves on the frame?
Hi Mav,

I don't think I did anything with them.... I believe I just removed them from the 5th platform and bolted them to the chassis. I will have to check for you.

My knowledge base of air brakes is minimal and I wasn't sure if they could just be deleted and capped, so I left them alone. I did that with the intent of going back and cleaning them up eventually though but I am wanting to get the camper useable first. I have a hatch in the floor over the trans where they are and should be able to access from the top and bottom as needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks