• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 camper conversion

davidkroberts

As i was researching a current as yet unposted project I found a place that salvages RV's and Motorhomes and Ill be getting my cabinets and furniture from them. You might want to give them a look. Your starting from scratch you dont need to find something that fits you can get whats cheap and available and build around it

oldMan99

As i was researching a current as yet unposted project I found a place that salvages RV's and Motorhomes and Ill be getting my cabinets and furniture from them. You might want to give them a look. Your starting from scratch you dont need to find something that fits you can get whats cheap and available and build around it
David, where is this mystical place? Have any contact info? (Like hopefully a www address?)

mdmorganwife

I assume the tiedown fittings are cast? You just need to blast, repaint and install?
Yes, but chipping most of the carc off first is way faster than trying to blast it all off, that is some tough stuff.

I was talking about the compound curved sheetmatal pieces you had mentioned before. After seeing how well you guys did with the axle caps I’m guessing those corner caps would not be outside your skill level. My sill level with something like that …. Lots of duct tape and silicone… lol.. (OK, not quite that bad…)
we have pics on the elusive memory card on how it was done.

mdmorganwife

well, we figure cheap and available is, scrap pieces of wood left over from remodeling part of the new house to build our own cabinets and stuff. Then we know it will fit.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

oldMan99

well, we figure cheap and available is, scrap pieces of wood left over from remodeling part of the new house to build our own cabinets and stuff. Then we know it will fit.[thumbzup]
Yeah David, so there...lol... Actually for hard parts like stove/oven, water heater, A/C and stuff that might be a real good place to look..

Dave, thanks for that used parts link, I found one in the next county over! I'll go visit just to see what they have that might be useful.

Really wish I had "Morgan Skills" to just build whatever I wanted... "Cabinets? We don't need no stinking cabinets... We just build our own...." :not worthy:)

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Yeah David, so there...lol... Actually for hard parts like stove/oven, water heater, A/C and stuff that might be a real good place to look..
nah, we'll just make all that stuff too. ok, j/k we're not that good. I'll check out the link.

Really wish I had "Morgan Skills" to just build whatever I wanted... "Cabinets? We don't need no stinking cabinets... We just build our own...." :not worthy:)
I never understood what was so hard about building a box, and for what they cost they must use gold nails or something.

Morgan Skills, I like that, but it really just boils down to being a cheap ass and not wanting to pay for someone to do something I might could do myself, so I try it, if I fail I'm bound to have at least learned something along the way so it's not a total loss. Sometimes you just gotta try something new.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
:drool:She is letting you have a man cave!!!!!!!!!! you one lucky guy. Gave your camper a peek at the GA rally was vary impressed. You and Yours have done a fantastic job

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
:drool:She is letting you have a man cave!!!!!!!!!! you one lucky guy. Gave your camper a peek at the GA rally was vary impressed. You and Yours have done a fantastic job
well it depends, how big is a man cave and at what point is it called something bigger like man cavern or something?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
The man cave she was referring to was the shop, and I was asking "at what point do you call it something bigger?" Because at 4080 sqft I think it's a little bigger than the typical "man cave".

Bighurt

I never understood what was so hard about building a box, and for what they cost they must use gold nails or something.
Finish carpentry is getting expensive labor wise, nobody learning the trade and the old guys need more money to stay in the business. That is why cabinets are going up in price. The mass produced units aren't much cheaper because they need more machines to replace the shortage of labor at the higher cost. High end machines aren't cheap, sliding table saws and big panel saws are into the 10's of thousands. Line boring machine for euro style cabinets start at $2500, but they save you 4 hrs of work and hopefully you don't screw up one hole. Belt sanders, are $5000+. They have to re-coop the money some how.

The machines save time but the cost require a lot of stuff to be built. I looked at the line boring machine to do my cabinets, but I needed to build 100 cabinets to justify the cost. I only needed 1/4 of that max. Granted I could sell the remaining but you just don't build overhead and wait to sell. Custom is the only way little guys like me can work, and there is a long stretch between custom cabinets. When I get my bigger shop I can take on entire projects but right now I can't compete with the big shops as I can only build 1 or 2 at a time vs 30 for a kitchen. Frankly a line boring machine is only good for one thing...cabinets.

I agree it feels good to build you own, but at this point I'm buying so I can sell the house...

Back to the subject though. I think the projects turning out great really enjoying reading the thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks