• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 trailer Conversion thread

Sevo

I had made mention in another thread that Me, Ferro, Neil and Bryan ( Neil's son) all want to take a 109 box and covert them into towable trailers.

My idea started when Ferro had an idea of making a towable 109 trailer, I wont spoil his idea. I thought it was a great idea, but I wanted to do it different. I decided to keep the 109 box on the frame and weld in a m105 trailer tongue.

So here is the beginning of my conversion. I took my 109 and with some help of some friends we started to take her down to the frame. We started around 12 noon and had the engine and tranny out by 5 pm. We did this on saturdy and had a blast doing it. The best part was to find that the engine was brand new along with the j-pipe and exhaust!!!. I will be keeping those for a rainy day ;).

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be getting engine and tranny out. I used a crane I won from Gl and plucked it right out. The crane worked flawlessly and made it a dream.

It is great to finally get going on this project. It is really easy to see it come together once you finally get started.

Tomorrow ferro and my buddy Kieth are coming over to take the cab off.

Neil I am hot on your A$$ ;).. You, Bryan, and Kenny better get to working !!!

I will keep a picture log of the progress... hope you all enjoy it... ( Ferro and Neil please post yours on here as well. It will be cool to see them,all coming along)

hope you all enjoy the pictures

Attachments

Last edited:

rivired

So im a little confused.

Did this start out as somwhat parted out POS 109 or did u decide to make a operable m109 into a trailer?

If the latter thats pretty f'd in my opinion..

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok Chris I`ll post as soon as I can. We pick up my 1/2 M109 on the 31st. I really want to see lots of pics of the tounge install. We are doing the same thing and the games have begun. Cold malted beverage to the winner. It will be fun. Adam better get busy.

Looks good so far. You could give me that old,dirty,worn out take out engine fo Chriatmas:p.

Sevo

So im a little confused.

did u decide to make a operable m109 into a trailer?

If the latter thats pretty f'd in my opinion..
that's exactly what I did.

Ok Chris I`ll post as soon as I can. We pick up my 1/2 M109 on the 31st. I really want to see lots of pics of the tounge install. We are doing the same thing and the games have begun. Cold malted beverage to the winner. It will be fun. Adam better get busy.

Looks good so far. You could give me that old,dirty,worn out take out engine fo Chriatmas:p.
Neil
looking forward to you all getting yours going. Take a ton of pics of your tounge install.

My 105's are supposed to be delievered to my house Thursday. I will be cutting the tounge about a foot back from the front cross member. That way I can keep the electrical and breaking system. I like your idea of the grade 8 and welding. I will ne doing the same.

I like the idea of the winner getting the malty suds. Let's do 2 cases of what ever the winner wants :).

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am amazed a cherry picker like that pulled a multi! What's it rated at?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pictures make it look good. If you look closer, it is pretty rusty under the cab, and we found cross members with the rivets rusted right out of them! I sure wouldn't want to drive it...

The new engine was for NG training, nothing more.

Busy? all I need is to build a trailer and then take the crane to pluck my bed off. Bet I'm done before all y'all. Only reason I won't be is I'm helping Chris, LOL :wink: Chris, I get one case if you win... :-D

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you asking about 'what crane?' 15 ton at 12ft. Pretty sure I can swing a 109 box around with it.

1947 AMERICAN with gas pony motor to start the big one. Still works great.

Clinto, that engine hoist is a perfect height for deuce motor pulling. My money would be on that was it's original purpose.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:popcorn:2cents Something says TRANSFORMERS - THE DOD TRAINING FILM here:!:

LQQking forward to y'all keeping us all posted here.

:?:One question:
Will the M109 box be mounted as a back door or FRONT door arrangement (Possibly with a "Hillbilly Porch" on top of the tongue to be shared by both boxes) :?::!::?:

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:?:One question:
Will the M109 box be mounted as a back door or FRONT door arrangement (Possibly with a "Hillbilly Porch" on top of the tongue to be shared by both boxes) :?::!::?:

Oooooo.... I like that idea! I was going to put a 'porch' on the rear. One issue with having the door face forward is leakage when driving in the rain. Hell, mine leaks sitting still LOL.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oooooo.... I like that idea! I was going to put a 'porch' on the rear. One issue with having the door face forward is leakage when driving in the rain. Hell, mine leaks sitting still LOL.

Hmmm - Rain:!: What's that:?::?: Here in west Texas that's too rare for me to even factor into the equation:!: Sorry for the FUBAR.

:idea:But as for keeping the driving rain out.... (I'm not at all familiar with the door design).... but would it be possible to make an inflatable seal (bike tire tube or similar tubing maybe) and bleed some air to enhance the closure:?::idea:

Or am I just "farting in the (wet) wind":?::roll:aua

bubba_got_you

For those of you asking about 'what crane?' 15 ton at 12ft. Pretty sure I can swing a 109 box around with it.

1947 AMERICAN with gas pony motor to start the big one. Still works great.

Clinto, that engine hoist is a perfect height for deuce motor pulling. My money would be on that was it's original purpose.
i can see that thing on the back of a 5 ton lol

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if it would fit on the back of a 5 ton.... (evil gears grinding in Ferro's head) :twisted::twisted::twisted:

It's not mine, it belongs to a local railroad museum I volunteer at. I'm one of three that can operate it. And have a set of keys. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks