• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 trailer Conversion thread

KI4GSN

For those of you asking about 'what crane?' 15 ton at 12ft. Pretty sure I can swing a 109 box around with it.

1947 AMERICAN with gas pony motor to start the big one. Still works great.

Clinto, that engine hoist is a perfect height for deuce motor pulling. My money would be on that was it's original purpose.
I've seen that crane somewhere before...if wasn't by chance used in a quarry was it? I swear I saw something about a recovery a few years back.

And I would also like to extend whatever assistance I could render to the Hendrix camp.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, it was 'trapped' at a quarry in Anderson, SC. A mile of track was missing from the quarry to the museums line, and 6.5 miles of the museum's track was in too poor a shape to run it over. (it is self propelled) They were still using it on about 1/4 mile of track in the quarry. The museum got it, and had it moved 15 miles by road to the active rail line. Now it is being restored.

And it will help me bring you guys down and drown me in suds! Bwhaaaahahahha!!!!!

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Cool deal. I thought really hard about building an M109 trailer, but in the end I decided to put a 14ft uhaul box on top of an M353 trailer instead. Make a lot lighter combo and I've got more room inside without all that insulation. My M109 is my motorhome, and my trailer is just the toy hauler / workshop though.

Going to leave the 109 axles right where they are, just going to gut them to reduce weight and need for oil in the pumpkins
Why not use the M105 axles? I know you're going to have at least one (that you're cutting the tongue off of), right?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know I'm just messing with you Neil... ;-)

Jesus, I remember your rig, you did a good job with it.

I'm not wrecking a 109, I'm building a trailer out of rusted out 105s for mine. I can always loosen the bolts and crane it back on the truck.

Still not sure what I'm going to do with the bare truck...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr. JesusGatos - SIR!....

nopics
Cool deal. I thought really hard about building an M109 trailer, but in the end I decided to put a 14ft uhaul box on top of an M353 trailer instead. Make a lot lighter combo and I've got more room inside without all that insulation. My M109 is my motorhome, and my trailer is just the toy hauler / workshop though.
Pictures, Man:!: WHERE are the bloody PICTURES:?::?::popcorn::hammer::razz:

OK, all kidding aside.... We'd love to see picks of your U-Ho Trailer.
Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So much, in so little time. I was going to point out what a pain it is to get that oil pan over that riveted front crossmember then I see in the next pic, its gone. My little crane has pulled a multifuel but it creaked like the dickens, won't do that again. These are interesting projects. As I said in a different thread, a friend of mine did one around 10 years ago, was functional but I like the ideas being set forth here for the tongue portion of the machine. Now all you need is a big inverter, a rack of golfcart batteries and a window shaker and you can have cool quiet air at night and recharge the batts by day with your gas driven leece Neville alternator.

srodocker

yea im wanting to see the outcome of this. I just thought of a sweet idea of taking someones 105 frame since they take the beds off for bobbing and then setting a pop up tent trailer body on it :) then paint it OD and try to use canvas for the sides :)

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey we don`t need to let out all the secrets AMG . Lets keep a few for ourselves. Lots of pics will be posted on the recovery and the build. My aim is the Graves Mtn rally on labor day week end.

This is getting fun

Sevo

Good god, Neil has you too Brandon.... Well it looks like I am going to have to give Stef a wrench, I need more recruits. She looks better with a wrnech in her hand than Brandon does any ways ;)..

Looks like I have to work over time to win this... I can hear the beer bottle clinking now :D

I worked on her some tonight and got the cab bolts off and removed the seats. I also freeeed up some of the wriring harness and started to remove the stearing column.

I am hoping to slide the cab off tomorrow night. We will see.

Sevo

Why not use the M105 axles? I know you're going to have at least one (that you're cutting the tongue off of), right?
Would liek to see your conversion!! post some pics for sure!

Thought about using the 105 axles. I think I just want to keep it the way it is and not have to cut another 105 up. We will see. My plans may change, it would be lighter for sure.

So much, in so little time. I was going to point out what a pain it is to get that oil pan over that riveted front crossmember then I see in the next pic, its gone. My little crane has pulled a multifuel but it creaked like the dickens, won't do that again. These are interesting projects. As I said in a different thread, a friend of mine did one around 10 years ago, was functional but I like the ideas being set forth here for the tongue portion of the machine. Now all you need is a big inverter, a rack of golfcart batteries and a window shaker and you can have cool quiet air at night and recharge the batts by day with your gas driven leece Neville alternator.
Yeah we dented the pan a little from that damn member :(. That is when I took a cut off wheel to the rivets. It was a PIA for sure to get around it. The Cherry picker I picked up from GL did a great job. It didn't flinch with picking up that engine. I was happy to have it, it made the job that much easier..

I liked that picture you posted of your friends converted 109.. it really gave me some more inspiration to do it. I liked the way it turned out.

rivired

cuz this thread is all about rendering things useless to build a trailer lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks