• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Camper Fresh water tank Locations?

peashooter

I'm trying to get some ideas from some other m109 camper guys on where you have mounted your fresh water tank and what sizes you went with.

I'm thinking the best spot for my conversion is under the box between the rails somewhere. Anyone else done this, what size tank did you go with? I'm having trouble finding a tank over 15 gallons that is under 12" thick (so the axles wont hit it in a full suspension travel scenario. (FYI I will not have a grey or black water tank, just fresh)

3dAngus

Put your spare tire in the back, and the water box goes where the spare was, behind the driver, under the box.

zout

our fresh water tank in in the left front corner of the box - 40 gallon - there is another 35 gallon tank on top of the roof inside one of the racks strapped in (also gives you hot water - its black).

Inside this area is also the water pump and outside fill. Above this is the solid oak double bed with compartments that access the tanks and all the electrical on the right hand side - transfer switch - 3000 watt inverter charger - battery equalizer - seperate distribution panel (sub panel) and vented 7 deep cycle batteries.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:
We also have ours under the bed inside. Being that you're from the far north ;) I would be afraid to have a water tank outside. Some good freezes and you'll be needing another tank.

peashooter

Yes Under the bed is a good idea but I'll be using that space as storeage for all our stuff (its a family camper:)). I wont be using the water tank in the winter or cold months. I'll definately be keeping the tank underneath the box somewhere, just trying to figure out the best place for the largest tank or 2 tanks if I cant find one large one with the right dimensions.

our fresh water tank in in the left front corner of the box - 40 gallon - there is another 35 gallon tank on top of the roof inside one of the racks strapped in (also gives you hot water - its black).

Inside this area is also the water pump and outside fill. Above this is the solid oak double bed with compartments that access the tanks and all the electrical on the right hand side - transfer switch - 3000 watt inverter charger - battery equalizer - seperate distribution panel (sub panel) and vented 7 deep cycle batteries.
Dave, I sure wish I had saved pics of your build when they were up.........hint, hint, hint..............:cry:

LC

zout

I still have all 1120 pictures of the build of which around 880 I had on a thread here as well. Just plain and simple I requested a mod to remove and he obliged ( I do not give a crap about post counts as they went also) I think when it ended it had over 50,000 hits.

Anyhow I apprecitate it.
None of my business with what you want to do with yours or how you do it - its just nice your making it your own and that is great - provide pics and don't worry about someone bad mouthing it - does not matter.

If I can suggest - really take time to make use of every square inch in the back of the 109 - the military had no plans for us to make RV's out of them and give us gobs of storage space or more room for another area to carry a spare tire.

Make lots of drawings and measurements before you start and think it..

Just my suggestion -

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Here is what works for me. I wanted to make a unit for two people and keep it very simple, uncluttered, and easy to maintain. And yet have a furnace, beds, table, fridge, toilet, sink, and stove. I would have to say my unit is on the low side as far as availability of conveniences you might find in your home. On the other hand zouts M109 is set up to be the top of the line (Z is a very good friend of mine and both his unit and he himself are top notch.).

I live in cold country so being able to camp when it is around zero is a consideration for me. To winterize all I have to do is pull the pump lever all the way forward and it will drain totally. Then empty the water containers and I am done. By using only the containers inside the van I have no problem with freezing should it be below 32 degrees. Which will happen the way I use it. I can carry an extra 10 gallons of fresh water on the rear mud flaps if I need to. Our camping style is such that every few days we will pull into a campground with showers and other services and that takes care of those needs for us.

As far as propane I went with two 20 pound tanks. It is often hard to find an outfit to fill permanently attached tanks (at midnight) but easy to find a gas station etc. that has a exchange program for 20 pound tanks. In one of the pictures you can see where I put my two tanks. Another thing I did not want to have is stuff hanging on the outside of the van where it might get whacked as we are in the woods/mountains most of the time.

Zout mentioned that it does not matter what you make your unit have or look like. He is 100% correct. Everyone of us will want something different and that is great. We do these conversions based on what we want in a camper,what we have laying around and what we can afford. So look at others units and go for it. You can have a heck of a time by just tossing some stuff in the back of a M35A2 and taking off camping.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shoprat 19th Engr

I have thought about this long and hard . My take on hold tanks on a M109 are to get 2 made at a local fab shop and put them behind the mud flaps at the rear of the truck so you can still work on the rears without a problem of having a tank in the way

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LowTech I do not have a build thread. Give me a PM and I can send you what you want on a regular email. I doubt most folks want all the details.
From all the views that those of us posting builds get I think you might be surprised ;)

I'm not looking for anything specific, just being a builder I love looking at the work of others. It is how we get inspiration to do that next " better than the last" build.

If we send you enough pm's will you post one up? :)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the tank set-up that we did.
two 15 gal tanks w/ a 12v shurflo pump. I prefer to have my water in two diff tanks. If I get bad water somewhere, or a leak, I can cut one tank out.
There is still more than half the width of the bed for storage.
10-08-12_ (7).jpg 10-08-12_ (8).jpg

LowTech I do not have a build thread. Give me a PM and I can send you what you want on a regular email. I doubt most folks want all the details.
Can't speak for the "most" but my guess it they would be more than happy, thankful in fact for every bit of detail that you can provide.

I personally would love to see and hear the details.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks