• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A4 brakes locked up!

worf954

Howdy, I have a M109A4 with the same problem. I was following the thread, but did not find a post on the fix to the problem. If you do not mind, if you did find the fix can you please share ? Thanks :)

steelandcanvas

Howdy, I have a M109A4 with the same problem. I was following the thread, but did not find a post on the fix to the problem. If you do not mind, if you did find the fix can you please share ? Thanks :)
The OP is a Buddy of mine, I don't think there was ever a solution to the problem. Maybe bumping this back up may produce some results. His A4 is still in his backyard, when the weather improves we'll get after "Thing 2" again.

Last edited:

mactiredearg

Status report:
As steelandcanvas said the truck still has the issue. I'm a yard parker so at the mercy of the weather on top of family distractions. But its still taking me too long to get after this issue.

We got it out to s&c's place to get it into a shop for awhile (thanks john). While it was there we swapped out an air tank due to a rust hole leak. Learned the hard way that some baffled sections of that tank don't drain like you think they will and the plastic connector hoses don't hiss to warn you before releasing all the remaining air. (Forward most connector and it took most of the day to get hearing back).
Also pulled and mostly disassembled the passenger side air pack. There was one section we couldn't disassemble. Otherwise the insides looked clean so didn't use the rebuild kit and just cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. Afterwards did note that it was exhausting air more like the driverside pack. Brakes still would not release properly but the pedal does not go to full lock with zero movement as it did before.

Back in my yard I partially flushed with clean dot5 this past weekend. Got clean purple through both air packs and both front wheel cylinders. But no joy on improving the lockup.

This weekend's plan was to flush through the back wheel cylinders and bleed properly. If still no improvement I was going to pull the driver side air pack and perform the same maintenance we did for passenger side one. Last resort would be to pull the master cylinder and examine, etc. Not looking forward to that because I cannot quite see how my meat cleaver hands are going to fit.

Well that was the plan before the snow forecast started inching up. I think we're up to 6-9" at my place in the next 24. _Need_ the moisture, but can't ask my little girls to Soldier B in it. So the truck will stay redlined for St Patrick's next week.

I'll provide updates when we next can work on it.

np2ij

I had the same issue with my former Air Force m35a2c, the brakes locked, leaving truck parked in the yard. The airpacks got rebuilt. no joy. After 6 weekends of brake work, bit the bullett. purchased 2 new air packs, installed them. Bled the system with fresh dot 5. all is fixed.

steelandcanvas

I had the same issue with my former Air Force m35a2c, the brakes locked, leaving truck parked in the yard. The airpacks got rebuilt. no joy. After 6 weekends of brake work, bit the bullett. purchased 2 new air packs, installed them. Bled the system with fresh dot 5. all is fixed.
If you rebuilt the airpacks wouldn't they be like new units? What was wrong with them?

DeucesWild11

I had the same issue as the OP, locked up my brakes on my recovery, I rebuilt my air pack. This was a full takedown and rebuild and it's been working great ever since. If you only took it apart a little to see if everything was moving properly you may not have found the issue. There are allot of moving parts in there and not just the main air cylinder. See link below for my rebuild with photos so you know what you're getting into. If it were me I would tear down the entire air pack and rebuild. If there are parts that for whatever reason cannot come off or apart then replace the air pack.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...os!&highlight=my+air+pack+rebuild+with+photos

Good luck and feel free to PM me with questions.

peashooter

Just got a similar brake issue resolved myself thanks to Gringletaube and this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?89898-M35A2C-master-cylinder-failure

In my case (and a couple other posts I have seen now) the pushrod that comes from the brake pedal and goes into the Master Cylinder, had come out of the hole in the master cylinder piston and wouldnt let the MC fully return to its home position so the compensating valves never were able to open.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks