• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Trailer Backing and Brakes Locking

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer has been sitting a while (with the parking brakes set) and i pulled it from its parking spot over to the driveway.

While backing it in the driveway the brakes applied so I pulled it around the block and tried again. This time it went up the driveway but I think the brakes were applying.

After I was finished in the driveway I pulled it back to the parking spot around the side of the house, and this time while backing the brakes locked completely. It's sandy there and pretty wet so I just used the Hemi to force it, locked wheels, back to where it parks.

I looked thru the FM but don't see any troubleshooting guide in there.

Searching here and the internet in general but not finding anything.

NormB

That’s the major thing I didn’t like about the trailer. And the height. Getting my ATV up the ramps was really tricky. The weight was a problem as was hooking it up to my truck (RAM, not HMMWV), , so I sold it and bought a much larger aluminum trailer with a ramp.

IIRC the EZPZ fix is simply drilling a hole through the drawbar housing in the surge brake and dropping a 3/8 or 1/2 inch pin into it any time to back up. I didn’t get around to that as I’d decided I needed another trailer by then.

Good luck.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the replies.

It was working great previously, even backed 2,000# of landscape block up my driveway.

Stock worked before, I want stock to work again.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope.

The backing feature is by design; in stock form you can back the trailer without the brakes applying.

If it's not backing then it's not working like it should. Drilling holes would only mask that symptom- the problem would still exist.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
should be able to back it on flat ground without it locking up, but if you try to back it uphill or very soft soil there can be enough resistance to cause brakes to start engaging. Once they start to engage you're fighting a losing battle, they'll just keep engaging further until fully released.

Just looked at the diagram in the manual posted above, part #22 is the damper. If the damper isn't working then it won't back up without applying the brakes. Should require some minimum level of force (several hundred lbs I think minimum) before the brakes start to engage. If you can push the trailer by just the lunette ring and brakes apply, your damper is shot.

edit: lots of discussion about this problem with the M116a2/a3 M101a2/a2 trailers on the forum, the m1101/1102 uses a different brand of brake actuator but still very similar in operation.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1101/2 trailers use a “FreeBack” backing plate made by Dexter.
The M101A2/3 trailers did not have them, which is exactly why they have a hole for a
Lockout pin.
They are available for the M101A2/3 and work very well. I installed them on my M101A2 trailers.

The shock probably isn’t the issue but never hurts to have it.
Sounds more like a rust/sticking issue since they worked fine before sitting for an extended period of time.
I would pull the drums and see what might be causing the issue.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t think the military has a specific name for it.
I do know it’s available commercially.
Bought mine brand new off eBay.
Install super easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks