• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1102 trailer mods

sgthawk

I'm in the process of working on my M1102 trailer. I am using Jim Dows idea n the hummer bumper and tire carrier. I will also be using a toper that I won off of Govliquidation. It was made for a communications setup behind a hummve. The front the topper is open so I will be making a front cover for it. Bumper, tire carrier and pintle hitch mounts parts just came in. Issue I have is the pintle hitch mounts don't slide right into the trailer 2" receivers so I am going to have to trim them down.

Last edited:

sgthawk

I was able to get the pintle mounts plates attached to the trailer this weekend and build a templet effort the 1/2 in plates needed to bolt the pintle mount plates to the bumper. I will drop them off at the local metal shop and have them fab them up for me.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

sgthawk

I also tired to figure out where was the best placement for the topper. In order to place the topper I am going to have to build a 2 1/2 in rail on the front and sides of the trailer. The topper is off of a hmmwv comm van and is just a hair shorter than the M1102.

image.jpg

Since the the topper is 5in shorter than the M1102 I an going to build an extension off the front to store fuel tanks and water.

Attachments

FloridaAKM

Your floor is really clean for a workshop, or is that the ceiling; I can't tell as the pictures flip flop so much.

All kidding aside, your work looks good. Post up when you get her completed. Thanks for the pictures!

oddshot

I will also be using a topper that I won off of Govliquidation. It was made for a communications setup behind a hummve. The front the topper is open so I will be making a front cover for it.
VERY interesting!

Do you know what Govliquidation called this thing and a rough idea what they are going for

How about dimensions? Do the left/right sides and rear sides all fold up?

I am planning on building something VERY similar on a M105 bed. If topper would fit, and it didn't cost an arm & leg, it would save me a lot of work.

Thanks

sgthawk

VERY interesting!

Do you know what Govliquidation called this thing and a rough idea what they are going for

How about dimensions? Do the left/right sides and rear sides all fold up?

I am planning on building something VERY similar on a M105 bed. If topper would fit, and it didn't cost an arm & leg, it would save me a lot of work.

Thanks
all three side lift up. If the M105 is the same dimensions as a M101A2 or 3 this topper won't fit. It's made for the width of a hmmwv which is very close to the M1102

sgthawk

Topper secured to trailer. Only issue is I need to add more weight to the front to compensate for all the weight in the back.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

sgthawk

If anyone else follows this setup don't pull the trailer until you add more tongue weight or the trailer will walk on you and could cause you to wreck or have one close call on meeting god. Ask me how I know. :shock:

Ghillieman

Was it just the weight of the bumper and spare tire, or did you have other gear inside adding more weight to the rear? I love the topper, but was thinking of mounting a spare in front of the trailer where the water can bracket is. Your experience might have made up my mind. I still want a rear bumper though.

sgthawk

I was in a rush trying to take the trailer out camping and I didn't check the weight distribution when I packed the trailer. Although all my camping gear kept the front end down I am guessing that the weight distribution was more towards the back. I am going to repackage the trailer this time with the majority of the heavy gear towards the front and take it down the street to see how it handles. On a side note I had to through two tires inside the trailer when empty to keep the nose down while in the garage.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you pull the runflat out of the spare, that will reduce some of the weight on the rear. If you need to replace a ruined tire, you can pull the runflat from the ruined tire to install in the spare at your leisure.

sgthawk

I decided to build and expand the front overhang to support a generator , two jerry cans and two water jugs. In addition I will be making two slide in brackets the will go into the front tie down points to hold two 30lb propane tanks. I also will be adding an awning to the passenger side to provide shade.
image.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks