• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1151/1152/1165 12v - Where is it?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so the big alternators have a 12v output, but where physically is there 12v inside the cab? Is there a line to the battery box somewhere?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
12V should go from the regulator to the rear battery, then from the rear battery to the TCM.
I wasn't aware of any 12V sources inside the cab area that are OEM, but I also don't have much experience with the newer trucks.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a company I found that was using the same style housings for the STE/ICE and putting in a standard car socket or a standard USB charger socket. (How standard? It was the same size sockets you can buy on ebay for a few dollars, only the housing was a bit unique.)

I'm not saying that is what it is in this case, but don't let the housing fool you into believe it is real (or not). You'd need to identify if there is an NSN / CAGE on the part and see if it was something orderable or not.

M1165A1

There was a company I found that was using the same style housings for the STE/ICE and putting in a standard car socket or a standard USB charger socket. (How standard? It was the same size sockets you can buy on ebay for a few dollars, only the housing was a bit unique.)

I'm not saying that is what it is in this case, but don't let the housing fool you into believe it is real (or not). You'd need to identify if there is an NSN / CAGE on the part and see if it was something orderable or not.

Even though I already had the seat off for something else I'm not that motivated to stick my head over the batteries and find out!

SoCalMarine

Hello all
310000+ serial number M1165A1 ECV
1 - Would like input on best place to pull 12/14V from for powering reverse switch on shifter?
2 - Location to pull power for any other auxiliary 12/14V needs?
3 - Removed the 400A alternator and put in 200A Niehoff alternator - I removed the positive cable feeding from the back of the 400A to the starter stud.
The negative I am considering leaving it in place as a supplementary ground (attached/on top of braided ground strap on alternator and terminates on a stud on exterior of the battery box underneath the truck) - is there anything wrong with leaving it in place?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all
1 - Would like input on best place to pull 12/14V from for powering reverse switch on shifter?
3 - Removed the 400A alternator and put in 200A Niehoff alternator - I removed the positive cable feeding from the back of the 400A to the starter stud.
The negative I am considering leaving it in place as a supplementary ground (attached/on top of braided ground strap on alternator and terminates on a stud on exterior of the battery box underneath the truck) - is there anything wrong with leaving it in place?
Welcome to the SS forums!

M1165A1

Hello all

Hi SoCalMarine

There should be a 12 volt output on your 200 amp Niehoff. That's the best place to grab 12v power. (Although not sure what you intend when you say "powering reverse shift on shifter.)

And I left that ground in place when I switched my 400A to 200A also, it proved useful later to ground my aftermarket winch assembly.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothig should be “grabbed“ from the 200amp, pull your 12v load either off the rear battery and fuse what ever your taking, or the factory Has already provided you the means for both 12 and 24v on the accessories panal behind the battery box with fuses that are waiting for you.
The need for 12v support is not new to the military, it’s been incorporated into the design starting with the ECV.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks