• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1161/M1163/M1164(trailer) Documents

1978ford250

Hey gents,
I thought I'd start this thread for the collection of documentation. I have a PDF version of the official USMC TM but I cannot distribute it yet without the okay from higher to do so. There is a cover sheet that specifically prohibits the distribution of this TM (for whatever reasons) which probably explains why most of them were destroyed and not sent with the vehicles to auction. I'm still in the Corps and have access to the TM database but I have to respect the rules regarding distribution.
I can relay what info I find and post some screenshots of specific parts of the TM manual so if any of you are in desperate need of something, in particular, let me know. The TM for the growler is 600 pages long and there's tons of good info.
I'll post the basic specs here that come from the TM. I will upload whatever documents I can as I find them.
Cheers

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a Growler question, but regarding other USMC TMs - do you have any relating to markings/camo/etc. that can be shared? I know such beasts exist, but have had no luck hunting them. ;)

I'd like to have access to the 'official' word on markings, rather than just observations of what is on vehicles (which often differs from one to the next).

Semper Fi, brother.

Cheers

1978ford250

I'm trying to find it. I think that manual is TB 34-9-249. I found a TM that references TB 34-9-249 but can't find the TB itself

Edit: 12/13/2019 @ 5:43pm
The USMC manual for markings is NOT TB 34-9-249. Technically it is but that's the old one. The newest one is TM 4750-15-1A.
I did access the manual on the USMC database but it says that it is not supposed to be distributed so I can't legally post it online. If anyone has a specific request for the markings on a specific vehicle, message me directly and I will send you what I can.

Last edited:

Ras1

Thank you very much for the technical sheet! I own 3 of the growlers, 2 M1161 and 1 M1163. I would love to get the manual if you can get the permission to release it.

As far as specifics, I need a part number/NSN number for the speedometer, as one of mine is missing, I need the part number/NSN number for the top and door assy (for both the M1161 and M1163 and maybe a manufacture?)

Last, can you find out what the switch on the dash ITR Heater does, and how it is supposed to function?

Thanks again for the info!

Dave

1978ford250

Hey Dave,

There are two different manuals for the growler. One is the operator manual and one is the service/shop manual. I have the operators manual right now and I'm trying to get my hands on the shop manual from a friend who works in Motor-T. The Marine Corps is extremely stingy about sharing documents and I have not been given the clear to distribute the entire manual. I'm sure it's not high on MC's priority list to get around to answering my request either! haha

Unfortunately, there is no NSN in the operator's manual for the speedometer. This is because servicing issues relating to the speedometer are referred to the service/shop manual (the one I don't have). I'll see if I cand find that NSN for you another way. I wish you had posted this last week. There was a speedometer for sale on eBay.

There's a soft top and doors for sale on eBay right now actually. If it truly is a new set with both doors I think it's a fair price.

I believe the soft top was made by a company called Transshield (not positive). Here is the link that includes the NSN for that manufacturer. Just FYI, I emailed them to see if I could purchase a top myself and they never replied.
https://transhield-usa.com/product/itv-pm-m1163-prime-mover/

Here is the soft top canvas NSN's as listed in the operators manual:
- 2510-01-604-8036 - CANVAS, FRONT (LSV & PM)
- 2510-01-604-8024 - CANVAS, LOWER SIDE REAR, DRIVER (LSV)
- 2510-01-604-8021 - CANVAS, LOWER SIDE REAR, PASSENGER (LSV)
- 2510-01-604-8038 - CANVAS, REAR (LSV)
- 2540-01-611-2708 - CANVAS, REAR (PM)
- 2510-01-605-0322 - DOOR ASSEMBLY, DRIVER
- 2510-01-605-3047 - DOOR ASSEMBLY, PASSENGER

Regarding that switch, according to the manual it "Provides heat to passenger compartment when heater switch is activated." I will attach the screenshots that refer to the dashboard gauges and indicators. The parts referring to the heater controls are in bold.

Let us know when you get your hands on the soft top and doors!

Best of luck

Attachments

Ras1

Thank you very much! I found the link on the top, I am working on that now, can you get me the old listing number for the speedometer, I will contact him to see if they have more!

Thanks!
Dave

Ras1

The dash control excerpt from the manual was excellent! The ITR heater looks to be a "turbo" heater for use in cold temperature starts only.

Is there anyway I can beg a complete operators manual off of you?

Your information has been the best I have found so far on my growlers. I can't thank you enough.

Let me know if you find a manual for my diesel kawasaki motorcycle.

thanks again!
Dave

1978ford250

When you get your speedometer can you make sure to post the NSN in this thread in case someone else needs to find it? It's on the back of the gauge, I believe, but it's too hard to make out in the picture the seller posted.

m1161

Hey gents,
I thought I'd start this thread for the collection of documentation. I have a PDF version of the official USMC TM but I cannot distribute it yet without the okay from higher to do so. There is a cover sheet that specifically prohibits the distribution of this TM (for whatever reasons) which probably explains why most of them were destroyed and not sent with the vehicles to auction. I'm still in the Corps and have access to the TM database but I have to respect the rules regarding distribution.
I can relay what info I find and post some screenshots of specific parts of the TM manual so if any of you are in desperate need of something, in particular, let me know. The TM for the growler is 600 pages long and there's tons of good info.
I'll post the basic specs here that come from the TM. I will upload whatever documents I can as I find them.
Cheers
A MYSTERY SWITCH IN THE m1161!!!
I took apart the instrument panels of my 2012 M1161 in an attempt to get the sand out of the corners and I found a "mystery push button" hidden under the air filter monitor meter! For reference, it would be just above the passenger's left knee. It's under the air filter monitor. You have to reach under the panel and you can feel it mounted to the panel's bottom lip. It's connected with a 2 wire plug/socket. No idea what it does but won't push it either. My first thought was that it's there to disable the vehicle if lost inside enemy territory. I may even unplug it from the wire harness so it doesn't get activated acidently. I checked it with an ohm meter and it's a "normally open" contact so taking it out of the circuit should not effect anything.
Anyone know of this button?

W427

Thanks for your help @1978ford250! Important operator basic DOs and DON'Ts and checklists will help tremendously. Like @m1161, I don't want to randomly try things. For example, my rear-steer is welded; so should I push the rear-steer centering button before each drive, in order to ensure the hydraulic pump is not constantly loaded? Hopefully that info is on a checklist somewhere in the OpMan. Thanks again!

1978ford250

A MYSTERY SWITCH IN THE m1161!!!
I took apart the instrument panels of my 2012 M1161 in an attempt to get the sand out of the corners and I found a "mystery push button" hidden under the air filter monitor meter! For reference, it would be just above the passenger's left knee. It's under the air filter monitor. You have to reach under the panel and you can feel it mounted to the panel's bottom lip. It's connected with a 2 wire plug/socket. No idea what it does but won't push it either. My first thought was that it's there to disable the vehicle if lost inside enemy territory. I may even unplug it from the wire harness so it doesn't get activated acidently. I checked it with an ohm meter and it's a "normally open" contact so taking it out of the circuit should not effect anything.
Anyone know of this button?
Hey there,
sorry for the delayed reply. I believe the button under the dash you are referring to is the air ride reset button. I'll attach a pdf that shows it. I did make a mistake with one of the figures (the one with the arrow) but it is irrelevant for this issue.

Attachments

1978ford250

Thanks for your help @1978ford250! Important operator basic DOs and DON'Ts and checklists will help tremendously. Like @m1161, I don't want to randomly try things. For example, my rear-steer is welded; so should I push the rear-steer centering button before each drive, in order to ensure the hydraulic pump is not constantly loaded? Hopefully that info is on a checklist somewhere in the OpMan. Thanks again!
There is no info on how to deal with the rear steering after the MC disconnected it. I'll see if I can compile all the info about the rear steering in one pdf and upload that. Just give me a couple days to see what I can find.

W427

Thanks, @1978ford250! It is a general inquiry for all important operating stuff, with the rear-steer centering just one example. Whatever you can get to help us operate one "properly" would be of immense help. Trying to avoid "duh" mistakes out of ignorance.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey gents,
Cheers
You are aware the TM’s are obsolete as is the platform correct?
The USMC divested themselves of the crappy platform and GP bought them all.....

W427

You are aware the TM’s are obsolete as is the platform correct?
Good point. @1978ford250 - is there a release sheet somewhere for those, allowing distribution?

The USMC divested themselves of the crappy platform and GP bought them all.....
Probably a subject for another thread, but as you brought it up - what about the platform is "crappy"? Keeping in-mind the needs of the Corps versus our uses - two different perspectives. From everything I'm finding, these are great little vehicles for private users, employing an assortment of well-proven, common and relatively inexpensive parts (except the engine :rolleyes:). I'm finding most things at the local auto parts store or discounted online. :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks