• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1161/M1163/M1164(trailer) Documents

dalkelly

HI!
Tim CLARK in Maryland
Hopefully you've got permission by now
I have Operator Manual but serious need for Maintenance manual(s)
You can reach me at glengar@verizon.net or Tel# 410/833-4442
THANKS!
I really need the wiring
Hey gents,
I thought I'd start this thread for the collection of documentation. I have a PDF version of the official USMC TM but I cannot distribute it yet without the okay from higher to do so. There is a cover sheet that specifically prohibits the distribution of this TM (for whatever reasons) which probably explains why most of them were destroyed and not sent with the vehicles to auction. I'm still in the Corps and have access to the TM database but I have to respect the rules regarding distribution.
I can relay what info I find and post some screenshots of specific parts of the TM manual so if any of you are in desperate need of something, in particular, let me know. The TM for the growler is 600 pages long and there's tons of good info.
I'll post the basic specs here that come from the TM. I will upload whatever documents I can as I find them.
Cheers
I need the wiring diagram bad, thanks for your help

YJSteve

M813rc you hit the nail on the head. Even Crystal (the contact at GrowlerMe) had to obtain permission to distribute the manual. She is clearly more connected to the people who make these decisions than I am and I am thrilled that she was able to obtain permission do distribute. I was directly instructed not to distribute the manual and so I will not be doing so. I’m not here trying to make a buck off of it which should be clear at this point. I don’t think GrowlerMe is trying to make money off of it either because they are charging only $15 for a copy which is a killer deal.
The Marine Corps is much more stingy about the distribution of its manuals than the other branches, to the point where TM’s are often hard to obtain by the Marines who need them. There is a portal that works some of the time but hardly anything regarding the Growlers is listed there.
The Marine Corps destroyed the physical manuals as part of the demil process, which even further proves they didn’t want them available to the public. Again, its fantastic that GrowlerMe has received permission to distribute the manual to everyone. The difference is if any brass get salty about its distribution it wont come back on me and there’s not a lot they can do to GrowlerMe for taking the responsibility.
I’ve not been in the military for 27+ years but I’ve certainly been in long enough to know how to watch out for my career, not to mention respect the rules of the military, even if I think they’re stupid or outdated. Believing that we should be allowed, by default, to distribute a document simply because a vehicle or weapons system has been removed from the system is a rationalization at best and one that suits our own end goals.
While I personally don’t see any tactical reasoning in forbidding the distribution of the manual, that is not my determination to make. Imagine a military comprised of individuals with security clearances who think they can decide when a document can be made public on a whim or when it suits them. I guess that’s also why the vast majority of military members don’t/can’t hold security clearances🤔 have you shared the service manuals yet. I would love a copy. Thanks Steve. stephenevans89@gmail.com

W427

need electoral wire diagram. thanks
The diagram being updated here may be of help. I'm not sure of the meaning of you quote, but we know much more about the program than RetiredWarHorses mistakenly assumed in January. How this relates to the TM Service Manual is that the platform was experimental and not obsolete, the TM apparently contains classified information (probably for the weapons, comm's systems, indicators of tactical use, inferred capability, etc), and has not been released to the public. So, we are making our own wiring diagrams.

Oversimplified, the ITV program was a planned USMC 10-year experiment to gather information and data relating to battlefield rapid-deployment in helicopters and VTOL aircraft. The program was to run from 2008 to 2018, with dismantling in 2019, and did exactly that. There was no divestiture, obsolescence or other 'negative' response, and the ITV research program was successful in its goals. Per the schedule, the vehicles were demilitarized of communications, weapon systems, navigation systems, etc, and released by requirement through RB/GovPlanet contract under ITAR. As the experimental program research information and data is being collated and used for further development and strategic guidance, much of the relevant info has not been and may never be released.

As the vehicles were part of a "weapons system", they are still actively held under ITAR regulations, which is why you must complete a background check by multiple agencies in order to qualify to obtain one from the Government. Note the ITAR regulations continue to follow the vehicle after initial acquisition, with certain reporting and transfer limitations. Because of this, we may never know exactly what was learned in the research, nor its effects on today's and tomorrow's MV development and tactical or strategic application. Based on accounts from individuals involved in the development and testing, they had extreme capability and robustness. Indications (which, again, cannot be specific) were of high regard for the ITVs.

growlergenie

Hey gents,
I thought I'd start this thread for the collection of documentation. I have a PDF version of the official USMC TM but I cannot distribute it yet without the okay from higher to do so. There is a cover sheet that specifically prohibits the distribution of this TM (for whatever reasons) which probably explains why most of them were destroyed and not sent with the vehicles to auction. I'm still in the Corps and have access to the TM database but I have to respect the rules regarding distribution.
I can relay what info I find and post some screenshots of specific parts of the TM manual so if any of you are in desperate need of something, in particular, let me know. The TM for the growler is 600 pages long and there's tons of good info.
I'll post the basic specs here that come from the TM. I will upload whatever documents I can as I find them.
Cheers
Is there a Military Part or ID number for the TM for the Growler? If USMC unit needs one - how does quartermaster order?

Guyfang

Staff member
The diagram being updated here may be of help. I'm not sure of the meaning of you quote, but we know much more about the program than RetiredWarHorses mistakenly assumed in January. How this relates to the TM Service Manual is that the platform was experimental and not obsolete, the TM apparently contains classified information (probably for the weapons, comm's systems, indicators of tactical use, inferred capability, etc), and has not been released to the public. So, we are making our own wiring diagrams.

Oversimplified, the ITV program was a planned USMC 10-year experiment to gather information and data relating to battlefield rapid-deployment in helicopters and VTOL aircraft. The program was to run from 2008 to 2018, with dismantling in 2019, and did exactly that. There was no divestiture, obsolescence or other 'negative' response, and the ITV research program was successful in its goals. Per the schedule, the vehicles were demilitarized of communications, weapon systems, navigation systems, etc, and released by requirement through RB/GovPlanet contract under ITAR. As the experimental program research information and data is being collated and used for further development and strategic guidance, much of the relevant info has not been and may never be released.

As the vehicles were part of a "weapons system", they are still actively held under ITAR regulations, which is why you must complete a background check by multiple agencies in order to qualify to obtain one from the Government. Note the ITAR regulations continue to follow the vehicle after initial acquisition, with certain reporting and transfer limitations. Because of this, we may never know exactly what was learned in the research, nor its effects on today's and tomorrow's MV development and tactical or strategic application. Based on accounts from individuals involved in the development and testing, they had extreme capability and robustness. Indications (which, again, cannot be specific) were of high regard for the ITVs.
Another reason some TM's are not for the public is purely that the company that produces the equipment, feels that since they spent the money on developing the equipment, they spent the money creating the publications and they spent the money on the research of equipment AND publications, why should they give it to you? They don't make a penny off you. You profit from their investment, but they see no return on the investment from you. If you knew how much the creation and publication of this information cost, it might make you sit back and say, "Oh". I don't like that it is so, but can understand why.

YJSteve

Just one other alternative I forgot to mention, It is possible to use a 12V starter, the one MWM in Brasil does supply by relocating the starter's feed cable to the tap between the two batteries. That cable can be found on the 200 amp. Klixon circuit breaker in the back near the compressor. However the 24V to the solenoid would have to be rewired from the "keying relay" under the instrument panel. There is 12V in that cluster of relays and the wiper contact on that relay could be repositioned to a 12V source. One would certainly not want to send 24V to the 12V solenoid ! I like to keep it "original".
I found the Company that made the starters in S. Carolina just had him make me one in 12volt.
Masco Starters. Doug 843-566-9228
Let him know Steve posted it on this forum. Really nice guy.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, we could. But it would be better if you went here:

And found it yourself. That way, the next time you needed a TM, for a trailer, you would know how to get it. We have a TM forum, and the Trailer TM, if we have them, are free for download.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks