• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A2 camper

Pawnshop

I have a M116A2 trailer with a M101 box on it that I intend to convert to a pull behind camper for my M1009 (and whatever else:)), has anyone out there in SS land done this (and took photos)? I don't mean sliding in a S250 shelter, or building a plywood box in the bed, I mean scratch building a small travel trailer. I want to keep the weight down, and I don't want it to be much taller than the CUCV so I plan to strip the bed off and build on the frame. I want it to look "military" but I have also been lusting for a teardrop camper so I may go that route as well, or a hybrid design. Any ideas? Any pix, yours or not, of like items?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plans for teardrop trailers are out there. Paint it 383 green and it's military! (better paint a white star on it too so you can say it belonged to a General). Although I'd say it'd be a fair sized teardrop on that big of a frame.

I've got the perfect 24v stove (or 2 or 11 - whatever) to go in the back.

Pawnshop

Yep, I have been looking at them all day. All I really need is a weatherproof, insulated box to sleep in, I don't plan to park it too far away from a shower/toilet/kitchen... and if there is no kitchen near by I can eat my MRE cold! John Wayne style...

zout

Pawn - great idea - sure someone in here that has built a camper out of a military vehicle will chim in here.

I like the idea to keep the exterior as military looking as possible and still keep what ever you need built into the unit.

keep posted on here of the thought as you go along.

How come everyone wants to go camping - reminds me of the 60's

Pawnshop

only advise I can give ya - make use of all your available space to be as efficient as you can
Indeed! I want it to be sort of centered on the axle to keep tongue weight down to a one man (with a bad hip) manageable level. Most of the teardrop designs I have seen have the axle at least 3/4 of the way back and that looks like it would make for a heavy tongue.

zout

seems you have prepared yourself well in thought for the tongue weight with a trailer as the camper leaving your tow vehicle free.

Keep laying it all out on paper first - and leave yourself open for something new you might not have considered.
I am sure you have seen the 2 M109A3's we built into campers and I do not want to bother you with having to look these up here. These are not trailers either so there is really no comparison. Just something you can do with a little thought.

There will be changes you think of as you go along duing a built - leave yourself open for these as well - good idea and don't forget the pics

zout

I understand perfectly - keep posted on what your up to in your build - I look forward to your pics of what fits your needs. - Great pics by the way - good looking 109[thumbzup]

tm america

i turned my m105 into a camper ..not quite finished yet i have a 70 gal water tank, water heater .shower,portable toilet and a bedit works out nicely behind the m35a2c.I'm in the process of making a m35a2c into a trailer . i will take some pics of the m105 next time i'm over there.

Pawnshop

I like the camper shell idea, though I want to try to make mine lighter weight. That second link baffles me, I keep finding people starting off with a M101 trailer and ending up with almost none of it! After you replace the axle (why I don't know), tongue/lunette assembly, and mod the frame they could have just scratch built a frame. And the off roaders that get rid of the pintle/lunette arrangement also make me wonder...

I am leaning toward a teardrop built on the stock M116A2 frame. Picture this camper on a M116A2 frame:

Attachments