• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M129A2C Camper Conversion

mdmorganwife

We are at it again! Going to turn our M129 trailer into a camper. We have a donor camper that we will be using most of the parts from to finish out the inside. They are pretty much the same size diamensionally, so it should be a pretty easy conversion. The donor camper is a 2008 Keystone Hornet with a slide out. So there is going to be a few tweeks to furniture postions we will have to make. The sketch is pretty much how the floor plan will be. Now let's see how much we can get done before the GA Rally!

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Your avatar is so wrong, here you are taking a TWO wheeler around a tight turn at a high rate of speed and I can't even avoid mobile combat pine trees with a 4 wheeler doing 35 or so.

mdmorganwife

Your avatar is so wrong, here you are taking a TWO wheeler around a tight turn at a high rate of speed and I can't even avoid mobile combat pine trees with a 4 wheeler doing 35 or so.
That just happens to be our other hobby :)

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are your thoughts about emergency egress? I am contemplating something similar but am worried about not having a curbside door like the 146.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
NDT,

Looks like there may be a door in the bedroom, which would make one in each end.
What he said, we are going to transplant the bedroom door out of the Hornet and put it in the M129, hopefully after paint it won't stick out that it doesn't belong.

RAYZER

Thats awesome guys! Will you seal and insulate the floor first?the last m129 I looked at, the floor was a little drafty!
Can't wait to see it!

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Thats awesome guys! Will you seal and insulate the floor first?the last m129 I looked at, the floor was a little drafty!
Can't wait to see it!
I'm thinking we are going to try laying down 1x3 strips the length of the floor with 3/4" plywood on top of that, and then linoleum. The original floor has metal runners that allow cargo to slide without digging into the wood so the 1x3's are to get the plywood above that and I figure it adds dead air space under the floor for insulation. We loose some headroom doing it that way, would leave us with about 6'4", but I think it will be better in the long run, if it's too much I'll loose the 1x3's.

goldneagle

I would use Tuff-R rigid insulation. It has a higher R value than Styrofoam. I would recommend tongue and groove plywood for the floor. This way you will not have issues with the joints and the linoleum.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron,
That's next year's project - bench seats and the TV will slide out three feet as will the couch, so watching the TV will be at a better distance.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I would use Tuff-R rigid insulation. It has a higher R value than Styrofoam. I would recommend tongue and groove plywood for the floor. This way you will not have issues with the joints and the linoleum.
That stuff is what? 1/2" thick? If I rip the 1x3's to the same, the plywood (tongue and groove, GREAT idea!) would be 100% supported, it would be insulated, and I wouldn't loose quite as much head room. I LIKE IT!!!

jdknech

OOOOH another camper conversion!! I will be following with interest! I need to get my M971 finished.. but life, and work keep getting in the way :-(

and as far as the slidout, i REALLY want one... and i think it will be in the works soon.. they way your trailer is made, cutting out the side wouldnt hurt the structural integrity much with it having the full frame under it.. but i also understand that it adds a TON extra work to it.. Good luck with it! -Josh

goldneagle

That stuff is what? 1/2" thick? If I rip the 1x3's to the same, the plywood (tongue and groove, GREAT idea!) would be 100% supported, it would be insulated, and I wouldn't loose quite as much head room. I LIKE IT!!!
You can do it 1 of 2 ways. Get 3/4" Tuff-R insulation. Or if you want only 1/2" Tuff-R then use 2x4s or 2x6s and rip cut them into 1/2" thick strips. Use fir lumber not SYP. SYP is not as stable as FIR. (twisting and warping) SYP=southern yellow pine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks