• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M134 Minigun build.

Al Harvey

The motor will either be 12 or 24 volt (Maybe 120vac if I decide to buy a power inverter, still unlikely) and will probably have a sprocket with a chain drive to the rotational assembly main shaft.
Had a random thought, what about an electric starter off of something like a riding lawnmotor to spin a ring gear. Since there wouldn't be much load and I doubt you would have it spinning for super long periods, over heating shouldn't be an issue and I'm guessing the gear ratio would probably be close to 2500 RPMs on the barrels. Also I believe it wouldn't be too hard to make it look correct either. Just a random thought.

I had that exact thought, if you look at pictures of a minigun the motor looks just like a starter that you could find on just about any small engine. It's just a matter of finding one in the correct size with the desired voltage and speed.

Bringing back to life a very old thread.

This project has been shelved for over three years but this week I decided to dig up all the old drawings and give it another go. The former parts were tabled in favor of a new design that will be easier to assemble. With lots of patience (and the help of an amazing welder) I have nearly finished the barrel assembly. This thing (if I ever finish it) is going to be super heavy, primarily because it is now being built entirely from steel (with a few bits of aluminum and plastic). The section you see in the pics has 67 parts, most of which are not visible. As I mentioned before, feeder/delinker assembly is going to be a killer in terms of mocking up and cutting/milling parts.

Anyway, I might regret it but giving it another go.

Stay tuned!

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you need something made up. I can help. I hold a FFL 07/SOT 02.

Maybe one day I'll have a real 134...

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Pretty much finished the barrel assembly today, everything went together very nicely with a few exceptions. I am very pleased with how straight everything is and how it looks when it's spinning, very nicely balanced.

Each tube is an individual part, it is not continuous through the clamp plates. There are alignment studs on each plate that keep the barrels in the right spot. Everything is clamped together via a set of six 27" long through bolts that thread into 1/4"-20 nuts inserted near the ends of the barrels.

Attachments

So I am seriously considering making this a gas sim fire replica. So far I have not been able to find a practical way of making a sim kit with the correct rate of fire, 1000 rounds per minute is as close as I can get.

Project should see some momentum this week, I've elected to go with 5" exhaust pipe for the body and I have sourced the drive motor as well. Next big hurtle is getting a length of 7.62 ammo feed chute ahead of building the feeder/delinker.

Scratch the simfire option, too complex and too complicated. Plus I cant find a system with the right rate of fire anyway. Currently working on a way to rig up a fire sound effect to my PA system.

Motor is on it's way, this thing will be powered right off the truck by a 350 watt 24v dc electric lawn mower motor, should rip! Still going back and forth over the configuration of the body (Classic GE Terminator style vs Garwood door gun).

Attachments

Another Ahab

Scratch the simfire option, too complex and too complicated. Plus I cant find a system with the right rate of fire anyway. Currently working on a way to rig up a fire sound effect to my PA system.

Motor is on it's way, this thing will be powered right off the truck by a 350 watt 24v dc electric lawn mower motor, should rip! Still going back and forth over the configuration of the body (Classic GE Terminator style vs Garwood door gun).
Post pics of the choices, and we'll give you our votes (like you cared). :naner::beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks