• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 Fuel tank and pump assembly

JGrant

Does anyone have any information regarding the M135 (circa 1956) and the fuel tank/pump assembly. I have recently acquired an M135 in Canada (northern Ontario) and the tank is severely corroded along with the internal pump assembly.

Questions:
1. Can a complete and serviceable tank and/or pump assembly be located for sale?
2. Is there another option such as using an M35 tank?

Any help for a novice militrary truck owner would be greatly appreciated...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The correct M135 tank and pump will probably be cheaper than that from a M35A2 (supply and demand). You may try Brian Asbury for these items.

HTH,
David Doyle

JGrant

Many thanks for the reply. I have been looking for a tank assembly for the M135 and have not been able to locate one...Being new to the military truck arena, I don't know who Brian Asbury is. Can you help with some contact information?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Brian Asbury, PO Box 26, Milton, Ontario, Canada L9T 2Y3. 519-853-1738 tel/fax.

There is also a guy in NY (I think) used to do business as something like Pops GMC parts - ACE will know who this is.

HTH,
David Doyle

Michael

I am beginning to wonder if the demand for M135/211 parts is so low that the supply has been trashed or scrapped. I haven't seen much for them lately. I would pick up a copy of MV magazine and start calling the dealers advertising in it to see what they have if the above doesn't work out.

You could use an electric fuel pump but if I remember correctly the fuel pressure is unusually low. Four psi comes to mind, but it has been years since I fooled with mine. You can buy fuel pressure regulators.

hmburner

When i bought my M135 last year,there was a hole rusted in the bottom of the fuel tank as big as my fist. I have searched around and refuse to pay the price on a used one plus shipping,plus having to modify it since i have converted to 353 Detroit deisel. The thought struck me last night to build my own. I work for a scrapyard,so pieces parts shouldn't be a problem. I found a section of 12x20 square tubing with .375 wall,sectioned it so i can make it 23 inches wide just like the duece original,capped the ends with 3/16 plate and welded it all up in 7018 low hydrogen rod. I used 3000 PSI hydr. fittings for the pickup and return and salvaged the old filler cap and screen out of the old tank. It has internal baffles welded in to stop fuel from sloshing out the filler.The whole project took about 8 hours and i am very pleased with the results. I guess necessity is the mother of all inventions

Bill

Attachments

hmburner

Thank you for the compliment on the tank. A couple of problems would be encountered in building another of these tanks. We get a lot of end cuts from a steel supplier in our yard as scrap,this is where this thin wall structural tubing came from. I have not seen another like it. This leaves buying it new and since another facet of the business is steel supply to builders i can order a minimum lenght of 10x20x.375 wall x40 feet long for about 600 dollars. This would make 4 tanks.Our shop charges 45 and hour x 8 hours. Another problem would be shipping since this tank is heavy. By scrap weight this tank is worth about 30 bucks in oversize steel,but the materials to make them are more than scarce in the scrap. I explored the possibility of having the pieces formed on a brake in a fab. shop,but they wont bend used plate i would supply and cost of new material plus labor would put it at more than im willing to pay,plus it would have to be tig welded(i'm not that good in stick to weld guage metal),so this is why the lightbulb went off in my brain when the truck dumped out this huge chunk of tubing.It was a simple project to do and im sure anyone could build one by sectioning 3 1/2 inch pipe for the corner radii and flat plate cut with a torch for the baffles and end plates Bill

jb31

i realize this is an old post but im new to the site and tryen to figure all this out. i have the same problem with my m135 tank, the guy i bought the truck from had 2 spare m35 tanks and he gave me one but my question is on the carb there are 3 lines, which is the fuel feed and which is the return line, the electric pump is shoot but i have a low psi pump and was just goen to run new lines just to get her goen for plowen season up here. any help would be great

Gunfreak25

If anyone is interested I have a fuel pump I just took out of my M211 I don't need. It consists of:

-fuel pump
-fuel pump screen/screws (use old screen as template for new one)
-braided electrical cable with both covers for electrical connections
-J shaped steel fuel line, with fittings, with both covers for electrical connections

I am basically keeping the sheet metal hanger/cover/side filters. I do not know if the pump works and it is very filthy. But, I am not asking anything for them other than $10 for postage fees. If interested drop me a PM and i'll give you my phone number if you have any questions on it.

-

SMALBLK327

Hey Gunfreak, I would be interested in the parts you have, if you PM me with you addy ill mail you the $10, I also have a new front oil seal for the compressor ive seen you may or may not be rebuilding, ill mail that also if you want it....

SMALBLK327

JB, the carb only has an inlet, its the large fitting on the bottom of the carb, the other lines you see are for the governor, they wrap around the back of the engine and go to the distributor.

paulfarber

I believe I have either an M135 or 211 gas tank that was on my CCKW. If its needed I can take pics... its long and flat and does not appear to be an M35 tank.

I don't know if the sender works.. but its on there.

Let me know if you want pics.. Im in PA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks