• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 RV Conversion

100acre

was going to but all those faces staring at me while i was conducting business would be creepy! so i came up with something more tastefull than my friends faces:razz:
This reminds me of;

Brown Spots on the Walls, by Hoothru Pu
or
Yellow Streams, by I.P. Daily
and finally
Race to the Outhouse, written by Willie Makit, illustrated by Betty Wont

Last edited:

RAYZER

Thats funny Dan!
Since you brought this thread back up, I'll take the opportunity to post the latest pic of the kitchen with added lights.uploadfromtaptalk1386473799171.jpguploadfromtaptalk1386473824192.jpg

Ragnarok

still all I can think is "holy crap", I been lurking on and watching this thread for a while and still amazes me the outcome. Great work and craftsmanship.

RAYZER

Was out at the lz today and decided to finish my tie down project.
A couple of months ago I sank 4' of chain with concrete in the ground, leaving some chain above ground to attach tie downs to.
Around these parts of Florida, we call tornado alley and the weather around this time of year through Feb is especially unpredictable, not to mention severe thunder storms through the summer.
Call me paranoid, but in 98 when I was living in a mobile home right down the street from where the Taj now sits,
We experienced an f4 tornado that took a direct path through our property, It completely leveled the place!
I feel better now that the Taj is tied down and will stay put if high winds pevail.uploadfromtaptalk1389487627546.jpguploadfromtaptalk1389487658744.jpg

Probably a good idea in alot of the parts of the country. After seeing footage on YouTube of a tornado around Dallas ( I think it was), seeing 53' van trailers tossed through the air as if they were leaves blowing in the wind. Ive considered the same idea. Here in New Mexico we get real high winds sometimes blowing mobile homes over. Ive turned 2 back over with my old deuce and 5 ton

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good anchorage plan!

Are you sure those chains are adequate for the loads that may be experienced?

I will also be anchoring our 220KAK 28' Box Van Trailer. The King Pin hovers over the slab that a storage building was formerly built upon. It may be somewhat helpful, but then again I have seen storage shed go airborne complete WITH their "thin" slab foundations when the tornadic forces go berserk.

RAYZER

Good anchorage plan!

Are you sure those chains are adequate for the loads that may be experienced?

I will also be anchoring our 220KAK 28' Box Van Trailer. The King Pin hovers over the slab that a storage building was formerly built upon. It may be somewhat helpful, but then again I have seen storage shed go airborne complete WITH their "thin" slab foundations when the tornadic forces go berserk.
I am not completely sure that the chains would hold with a direct tornado hit, I hope I never have to find out!
Where the trailer sits is surrounded by woods and provides some wind break, but down bursts are common around here and can cause a lot of damage.
I'm thinking, some tie down attempt is better than none!

Bighurt

I am not completely sure that the chains would hold with a direct tornado hit, I hope I never have to find out!
Where the trailer sits is surrounded by woods and provides some wind break, but down bursts are common around here and can cause a lot of damage.
I agree there is a significant difference and saving in preparing for the worst case scenario vs 70% worst case as in bomb shelter design. Although I'm more familiar with building design.

The coldest temperature I've seen here is -52°F ambient, but designing a home to remain comfortable and efficient at that temperature is significantly more expensive than say -15° the average lowest temperature we see.

Just because you may see wind levels above 150mph doesn't mean everything should be designed to withstand that.

Life is a gamble.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know if I've seen anything that can withstand a direct hit from an f-5 tornado. Your tie down idea is sound and practical. We see a few tornado's here in central Illinois, and unless you are underground and properly supported, you aren't tornado proof. Ya attempt to prevent the worst by being practical and taking appropriate steps. Like Bighurt mentioned, life is a gamble. I appreciate you sharing, Ray. The TJ is an inspiration to many, me included! ENJOY!!

God bless,
Tony

RAYZER

Recently I made a safty related modification.The ladders that originally fit these trailers (19" wide)are near impossible to find, are too narrow for the doorway and rather flimsy.
Up untill this modification, I was using an m109 ladder, they will work, but welding an extra mounting tab on the trailer is necessary because they are an inch narrower than the original ladder.
So I found this 7 step aluminum, 24" wide ladder at the 2013 ssgr (from mwmules).
With a skill saw and metal blade, i took off one step section to make it the perfect length, and fabricated up some new bolt on mounting brackets out of aluminum.
This wider ladder with grab handle better covers the door opening, and adds some much needed safty aspect upon entering and exiting the trailer. uploadfromtaptalk1389568879465.jpguploadfromtaptalk1389568906662.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks