• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M16 Half Track Purchase, Need Advice

AZDeuce

Just looking at those pictures, I'd say she's worth the money, if its mechanically as nice as the restoration appears to me. The only thing that caught my eye for not being correct is the front wheels, they should be combat rims...other than that she is a beauty. I did a ground-up restoration on a M3A1 HT, I know what it takes to get it to that level of completeness.

datadawg

Just looking at those pictures, I'd say she's worth the money, if its mechanically as nice as the restoration appears to me. The only thing that caught my eye for not being correct is the front wheels, they should be combat rims...other than that she is a beauty. I did a ground-up restoration on a M3A1 HT, I know what it takes to get it to that level of completeness.
I thought those were the combat wheels. Do you have a photo or link to what combat wheels should look like?

B3.3T

You are correct about duty. No customs duty on vintage vehicles. Bring it into Baltimore. There is a RORO twice a month from Portsmouth. You need and approved ATF Form 6, but no fees for that.

AZDeuce

I'm too computer illiterate to post pictures just use google image, and type in halftrack and you will see lots of halftracks with combat rims, they have a bunch of bolts that hold the outside rim in place.

datadawg

I'm too computer illiterate to post pictures just use google image, and type in halftrack and you will see lots of halftracks with combat rims, they have a bunch of bolts that hold the outside rim in place.
Got it. I saw the little holes near the perimeter of the wheel on the M16 photos and thought they were the correct wheels, but now see you are right, they are not. I wonder if there is more to it than just a different rim, could the hubs be different as well? Just thinking that bolt pattern and offset all have to jive, so if the wrong wheel is there, maybe something else isn't right as well...

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Go and buy it and bring it home. Take a vacation.
If it is not altogether what you wanted to find when you got there then spend more on the European vacation. Have some great wine and dinners. This one-life to each stuff is short and goes away quick.

Wayofftrack

I think it is worth the money especially it if started out as an M13 that adds an extra little bit of coolness. That is a nice halftrack its worth the money if it is a real m16 and it looks like it is. Do you have a picture of the frame serial number?

datadawg

I think it is worth the money especially it if started out as an M13 that adds an extra little bit of coolness. That is a nice halftrack its worth the money if it is a real m16 and it looks like it is. Do you have a picture of the frame serial number?
Where would the frame serial # be located exactly? I don't have a photo of it obviously, but could ask. Per # on the hood, it did start out as M13, would the frame serial # be identical to the # on the hood?

Oh and why would an M13 to M16 conversion be more "valuable" or historically interesting than a purebred M16? Or is that a personal preference?

Last edited:

Wayofftrack

Where would the frame serial # be located exactly? I don't have a photo of it obviously, but could ask. Per # on the hood, it did start out as M13, would the frame serial # be identical to the # on the hood?

Oh and why would an M13 to M16 conversion be more "valuable" or historically interesting than a purebred M16? Or is that a personal preference?
Don't think more "valuable" unless it was restored to the correct M13 configuration with the M33 Twin Maxson which is SUPER rare. To me the M13 is more interesting since none are known to exist in original configuration afaik so I guess it would be more of a personal preference. I know a couple of halftrack guys who would wet themselves if they found an M33 and I'll add myself to that list and make it 3.

The serial number should be stamped on the frame rail on the drivers side in the area behind the front shock mount. Check the g503 tracked vehicle section sticky on surviving halftracks to see pictures. All M16's were made by White, none by Diamond T or Autocar and should have serial numbers in the 27xxxx - 29xxxx range.

Ah yes the Littlefield faux M16. Deep sigh. Do your homework and you won't get burned.

Last edited: