• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 Q's

airmech3839

I am new to the whole MV thing other than my experince in Army. I have a chance to pick up a rusty running M211 that the tires and brakes are bad on. I was wondering how much is involved in replacing the brake system on it and what would parts availability be? Also will the newer deuce tires and wheels work and how much do they run! I am really trying to decide if I am gonna end up biting off more than I can chew with it or if it is a really easy beast to work on! Any advice and info would be awesome!

Remember your weapon was made by the lowest bidder!! Have a good day!:-D

new brake parts are available and newer deuse tires and wheels fit I spent about $10,000 rebuilding my m211 over about 2 years and I now have 7000 miles on it .

hippiedude

M35 wheels bolt right on ....You can find good tires mounted on wheels for about $100.00 give or take ......Brakes a easy to work on and parts are out there.......If the truck runs good and drives and the price is rite get it ......They are a cool truck ......... I love mine ........Hope this helps...... Tim

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Niagara Military Parts has the wheel cyls for like 20 bucks (there are 12), the master is same as Reo pattern deuce, and the air pack kits can be had at Memphis Equipment and others . . . Plenty of work to fix the brakes. Swing by SECO and see if they will make you a deal on some take off 9.00-20 rubber. Should be like $30 a tire with rim.

nattieleather

I have owned both the M211 GMC and a M35 Kaiser (Reo) and if I ever get another duce it will be the GMC variety. They are just great trucks. They ride better than the M35s and once you get the brakes working they will stop you on a quarter. (Big trucks don't stop on dimes..lol) Also the brakes are eaiser to adjust than on the m35s.

Go for it...you'll love it... all the cool kids are doing it....you'll be the neat cool kid on the block....it wont hurt.... (peer presurre) :D

M215

Don't let the chance to own a unique piece of military history pass you by, anyone can own a common M35 and blend in with the crowd!
I have owned our M215 for over 8 years and it is still our favorite. Most parts are available and since it is earily 50's technology that makes it very easy to work on. Remember it is a 55+ yr old truck and could be a big project, ask your self if you have the time and $ needed.

Good luck,
Karl

Attachments

badgmc56

I love mine too! Unless you have no life, two years is about right to restore one. I'm going on three because I went and bought a M35A2 and am having a blast with that now. Thank you bulldog_mack13.

airmech3839

Thanks you guys! I appreciate the input. I am trying to narrow down the brake problem with the seller and get me some tires and then I will see if I can drive it home. I am gonna try and go look closer at it soon and make my call. It is missing the bed and that makes it lighter but also a bigger project. Althought stripping the frame will be easier! lol Well if any of you have any more advice I will gladly take it. By the way which manuals are for the XM211?

Thanks Again:-D

airmech3839

Seco?

Niagara Military Parts has the wheel cyls for like 20 bucks (there are 12), the master is same as Reo pattern deuce, and the air pack kits can be had at Memphis Equipment and others . . . Plenty of work to fix the brakes. Swing by SECO and see if they will make you a deal on some take off 9.00-20 rubber. Should be like $30 a tire with rim.

Where is this SECO and how would I contact them? $30 is cheap enough for me!

Thanks

airmech3839

Well now I feel stupid!! Thanks!! I thought I saw some deuces out that way but have not seen them lately!! I did not know the name of the place! Did not know that they worked on them either! Wow ok that makes life easier!! lol:lost: :drool: :cookoo:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the day they had probably 30 ACRES of deuces, and thats just the G742 type, they had GMC's, 5 tons, WWII heavies, M4 high speed tractors, you name it. They have trimmed down a lot. The really old yard looks like it is still there from Google Satellite, it is off 520 behind the shopping center at Windsor Spring and Peach Orchard. WWII alligator amphibians all over the place on that yard., also universal carriers. Go see if it is still there if you are over that way.

airmech3839

I will check it out on the way to work tomorrow and take some pics too and post! Give ya'll an Idea if they still have anything! Thanks for the info. I don't go to that side of town except to go to work and don't have to get on Peach Orchard much! Thanks again!!

airmech3839

Just got a reply to an e-mail from the guys at SECO! They want $255 per wheel assy with used tire on it! $2500 for set of ten to ride on!! $30 my butt!!!! They want $75 just for a tire!! The economy must have forced and inflation rate on deuce tires and rims!! Times must be tough over at SECO or maybe I just want to much for to little! I just want some well used tires that I can put under this old truck that I want to drive 200 miles or less and needs only to make it that far! I don't need 90% tread or even 70% tread I would take 40% tread as being more than enough! Can anyone point me in the right direction maybe I am asking too much?:confused:

rjrj10

m211 parts

I have a 53 Xm211, have had it for about 6 years. For the wheel cylinders, I went to Oreilly's and rebuilt the wheel cylinders for about 1 dollar each, just buying new cups. I also rebuilt the master cylinder, think the parts came from memphis equipment. Tires and wheels are out there for cheap! Its alot of fun to drive and alot more quiet than an m35a2. The problem is the transmission, Memphis equipment doesn't rebuild them anymore.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, airmech, about the bad deal offered at SECO. They must have thought you were some foriegn government or something. Swing by there and see them in person, see if you can walk the yard, and point out some tires in a mudpuddle and shoot an offer at them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks