• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 Radar unit truck, interior photos anyone?

marco1952

Hello Folks, I hope this is going out on the site and not to who knows where, I could not find a spot that says New thread , it is always so hard to find. My Question: I own a 52 GMC M211 ( Two of them ) the one is a supply Mech truck for a Radar unit. I would love to find photos of the Original lay out of the interior showing cabinets, shelves and what not so I can bring back to life my Radar unit truck but I typed in every format of words on google and nothing shows up. Does anyone know where I could find such photos. Thanks and take care folks. David. email: cestia777@gmail.com

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello Folks, I hope this is going out on the site and not to who knows where, I could not find a spot that says New thread , it is always so hard to find. My Question: I own a 52 GMC M211 ( Two of them ) the one is a supply Mech truck for a Radar unit. I would love to find photos of the Original lay out of the interior showing cabinets, shelves and what not so I can bring back to life my Radar unit truck but I typed in every format of words on google and nothing shows up. Does anyone know where I could find such photos. Thanks and take care folks. David. email: cestia777@gmail.com
Hi marco1952 ,

I like your vehicles. Definitely nice stuff and where you started painting the inside is a definite improvement. They do get a little "dusty" looking inside and out with time. I spotted both of your posts. One about the Radar unit and another about the Project Vehicle for a Project Vehicle trade.

Your first post under vehicles wanted definitely makes sense. Generally speaking, it takes a while for somebody to find what you are selling and somebody to buy it. Gotta go dig up the mason jars and count the money to see what they have available. You might consider a couple of other ideas... If you want to sell one of your trucks, an amount of money has to be set.

On your second post (under the first) my opinion is that you will get more help or helpful answers to your questions about bringing the Radar unit to life. Stupid as it seems (I don't have a good idea WHERE either) you might try clicking "Report" below your post.

REPORT will get the attention of one of the Moderators. Maybe ask them to help you put your post into the right category... They are pretty helpful people and the neat part is that they can easily move your pictures and that second post in one operation. Just a suggestion...

ANYHOW, welcome to the group!

Tim Mullaney
(fairly new member)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you tell us how you figured out this truck is a supply mech truck for a radar unit.

marco1952

Hi marco1952 ,

I like your vehicles. Definitely nice stuff and where you started painting the inside is a definite improvement. They do get a little "dusty" looking inside and out with time. I spotted both of your posts. One about the Radar unit and another about the Project Vehicle for a Project Vehicle trade.

Your first post under vehicles wanted definitely makes sense. Generally speaking, it takes a while for somebody to find what you are selling and somebody to buy it. Gotta go dig up the mason jars and count the money to see what they have available. You might consider a couple of other ideas... If you want to sell one of your trucks, an amount of money has to be set.

On your second post (under the first) my opinion is that you will get more help or helpful answers to your questions about bringing the Radar unit to life. Stupid as it seems (I don't have a good idea WHERE either) you might try clicking "Report" below your post.

REPORT will get the attention of one of the Moderators. Maybe ask them to help you put your post into the right category... They are pretty helpful people and the neat part is that they can easily move your pictures and that second post in one operation. Just a suggestion...

ANYHOW, welcome to the group!

Tim Mullaney
(fairly new member)
Thanks for the Reply Tim. I am not selling the truck, I want to trade but in the meantime without spending a Ton of funds I want to get her in slightly better condition to help with trade interest but it will still be Project for project, I just want a smaller project being a Korean War Ambulance up to 1962 but no later for both stand for my fathers time driving these and my cousins time driving them so have special meaning, Time will be time

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would reach out to the GPA MVHS club and ask them what the story is with this truck.

I hate to pee in your cheerios but I really think a club member attached that CPN-4 radar van trailer to the M211 chassis to make a camper back in the 80s/90's. Never in a million years would the military attach a van with the center of gravity behind the rear tandem.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the Reply Tim. I am not selling the truck, I want to trade but in the meantime without spending a Ton of funds I want to get her in slightly better condition to help with trade interest but it will still be Project for project, I just want a smaller project being a Korean War Ambulance up to 1962 but no later for both stand for my fathers time driving these and my cousins time driving them so have special meaning, Time will be time
I understand. Definitely neat to be able to build on something that your dad did.

My dad was in the Marines and met a guy in the Jaycees back in the 1960's who was in charge of the Toys For Tots project in Charlotte back then. My dad would drive the Deuce and his co-pilot Nick would gather donations. I had never thought about that until you mentioned your dad and the Korean War ambulance. (I need to get to work on that Deuce idea in memory of my dad!)

Hopefully somebody will come through with an ambulance to trade for you.

There are a lot of things you can do for your truck to "spruce it up" somewhat inexpensively. Pick a spot and go for it. Lighting is a good one where you flip on the switches and figure out what works and what doesn't. Turn the lights back off, order a box of 24v bulbs and a socket brush and work on each one of them.

If it happens like every other projects - at least one of them will be rusted to nothing inside. That will cost a few bucks. I bought a few marker lights and used the "socket side" of the light. Kept the glass and the "armor" in the spare parts box. That way there won't be one bright pretty bright light and the others look older.

OR if lights aren't your thing, a wire brush by hand (lots of labor!) or one mounted to a drill or a 4 inch grinder could spiff up some metal that need attention. I have done a LOT of rattle-can paint work on one of my trucks. It isn't like a factory paint job for sure - but what it has done is clean up my rusty spots. Used some POR (Paint Over Rust) after the brushing, sealed it up with primer, then painted with some RAPCO 383 Green. It gives you a good base to work from.

ANYHOW, I guess I babbled long enough. Hope your project works out - and don't hesitate to get the guys here involved with pictures and questions. :cool:

marco1952

I would reach out to the GPA MVHS club and ask them what the story is with this truck.

I hate to pee in your cheerios but I really think a club member attached that CPN-4 radar van trailer to the M211 chassis to make a camper back in the 80s/90's. Never in a million years would the military attach a van with the center of gravity behind the rear tandem.
Could be true, I bought it like this but the last owner who owned it for 20 years and bought it as you see from the Military did Nothing to it but make it road worthy and I know the guy for the past 15 years and he is very honest and up front so I am pretty sure the Military did this but not 100% sure, it is odd that the frame was extended to put a long box on cause I thought if the Military was going to put a box on it they would put the regular size box on the frame, not something so long but still all guess work. I just want to trade it for an Ambulance , maybe someone in time will want it for an RV or something in those lines who has an Ambulance to trade. Thanks you for the reply, it is good to hear from others in this hobby. I kick my self in the Butt for selling my last M211 for that one was restored, I sold it years ago to a Museum in NC but I really should of kept it, see photos. Must hit the sack, Good night folks

Attachments

marco1952

I understand. Definitely neat to be able to build on something that your dad did.

My dad was in the Marines and met a guy in the Jaycees back in the 1960's who was in charge of the Toys For Tots project in Charlotte back then. My dad would drive the Deuce and his co-pilot Nick would gather donations. I had never thought about that until you mentioned your dad and the Korean War ambulance. (I need to get to work on that Deuce idea in memory of my dad!)

Hopefully somebody will come through with an ambulance to trade for you.

There are a lot of things you can do for your truck to "spruce it up" somewhat inexpensively. Pick a spot and go for it. Lighting is a good one where you flip on the switches and figure out what works and what doesn't. Turn the lights back off, order a box of 24v bulbs and a socket brush and work on each one of them.

If it happens like every other projects - at least one of them will be rusted to nothing inside. That will cost a few bucks. I bought a few marker lights and used the "socket side" of the light. Kept the glass and the "armor" in the spare parts box. That way there won't be one bright pretty bright light and the others look older.

OR if lights aren't your thing, a wire brush by hand (lots of labor!) or one mounted to a drill or a 4 inch grinder could spiff up some metal that need attention. I have done a LOT of rattle-can paint work on one of my trucks. It isn't like a factory paint job for sure - but what it has done is clean up my rusty spots. Used some POR (Paint Over Rust) after the brushing, sealed it up with primer, then painted with some RAPCO 383 Green. It gives you a good base to work from.

ANYHOW, I guess I babbled long enough. Hope your project works out - and don't hesitate to get the guys here involved with pictures and questions. :cool:

Thank you buddy, all the input I can get helps Right now it is no where near working lights or really working anything, most likely needs a wiring harness and those things are terrible price so I am just going to full with it some coming spring and make it slightly more desirable but very little will be done to it, just dont have the funds, probably needs a Ton . Good night

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter

As said, I don't think your truck was originally part of this radar system, just the box was transplanted.

DG

marco1952

As said, I don't think your truck was originally part of this radar system, just the box was transplanted.

DG
Ok DG, I didn't argue that point so what type of Military truck did the box come off of than, it does not look like a M934 box so i wonder what type , make or model of truck the box came from

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your box was a very special, almost custom, shelter designed just for a particular radar project. As shown in the photos, it was quite a complex group of several items to move into a combat area and set up. Your shelter most likely came from a decomissioned radar system.

Radar companies like Raytheon, Gilfillan, and Western Electric had huge contracts to supply complete systems, with many of the components so specialized a "standard" shelter wouldn't do.

As opposed to the S-250 and S-280 shelters which were made to fit in regular tactical trucks by the hundreds, then shipped to different contractors to outfit for numerous standard applications such as shop vans, radio systems, instrument repair, telephone central offices, eTc.

Dennis

marco1952

Your box was a very special, almost custom, shelter designed just for a particular radar project. As shown in the photos, it was quite a complex group of several items to move into a combat area and set up. Your shelter most likely came from a decomissioned radar system.

Radar companies like Raytheon, Gilfillan, and Western Electric had huge contracts to supply complete systems, with many of the components so specialized a "standard" shelter wouldn't do.

As opposed to the S-250 and S-280 shelters which were made to fit in regular tactical trucks by the hundreds, then shipped to different contractors to outfit for numerous standard applications such as shop vans, radio systems, instrument repair, telephone central offices, eTc.

Dennis
Dennis, so was it done by the Military or was it done after the truck was no longer being used by the Military? Cause I see they altered the frame to fit this box!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possible but unlikely. The military didn't 'marry' a lot of used stuff onto trucks except at the unit level.

In your case, that load would seriously limit the vehicle off-road due to placement.

I'd wager it was done by a previous civilian owner. Plus, you're looking at a truck and system from back in the '50's, with few items from that era surviving today other than a few G749 (GMC 2.5 ton) rigs.

DG

Reactions: NDT

marco1952

Possible but unlikely. The military didn't 'marry' a lot of used stuff onto trucks except at the unit level.

In your case, that load would seriously limit the vehicle off-road due to placement.

I'd wager it was done by a previous civilian owner. Plus, you're looking at a truck and system from back in the '50's, with few items from that era surviving today other than a few G749 (GMC 2.5 ton) rigs.

DG
Shot, I might as well give it away then cause that limits value to almost nothing considering it is a project anyway. To bad though. Yeah I had second thouhts after I bought it but by than it was to late. Thanks for the info though cause it always helps.

marco1952

Folks, considering I have found out the box section of my M211 GMC was not put on by the Military and is a project I will offer to sell it for $800 and that is a lost to me. I bought it for $1,000 and cost $500 to get her home so indeed a lost. The engine does turn over by hand by the crank shaft. Schwenksville Pa. I was going to start a new thread but did not see anywhere on here to start one so here I am on here. Thanks and take care folks. See my other photos on here in my talks with others. Also. cestia777@gmail.com.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this rig were mine I would remove the box and sell it on Craigslist to someone as a storage box, then cut the frame extension off and put a M35A2 bed on it, making it back into a M211.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks