• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M270 Gets New Shoes!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once I get to where I can actually work on it I plan on giving it a good going over. It has has a long life, between military service and house moving it was the property of PanAm airways!View attachment 603893
Depending on what you plan to use the trailer for, it for should be figured in as to the repair/modifications if any of this trailer. If you want an air brake trailer consider swapping axles and maybe suspension also. Although a step deck unit they are still a fairly tall trailer. A few pics to maybe give you some thought.
My M270A1 with 1100/20's, a nice equipment trailer equipped with 255/22.5 low pro's, and a comparison pic of the two tires. My goal would be to lower my trailer for better utilization.

Attachments

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M270 now so I just need to update the current air brakes system, a lower deck would be a help, currently I am building a dock on each property so transferring stuff will be easier since I have a couple of 127s and a 128 as well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
11Echo, that second pic is the intended usage to come for mine! (Well, I only have one M114) But I am thinking either a dovetail or hyd ramp setup on the tail.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had that type trailer pick up my 936 at Fort Riley, the air bags do help on the height and the dovetail is a real help! Even with the reduced height from the deflated air bags it was still a little scary driving the wrecker up onto the trailer(no dovetail and tiny ramps)!

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone with a 270A1 that wants to retrograde to air brakes, I have the backing plates/shoes from a 270 that went bye-bye. PM me.

jasonjc

I had that type trailer pick up my 936 at Fort Riley, the air bags do help on the height and the dovetail is a real help! Even with the reduced height from the deflated air bags it was still a little scary driving the wrecker up onto the trailer(no dovetail and tiny ramps)!

You think that was bad. I had to unload a 7 1/2 ton crane off the back of a M172 that was on the inspection ramp at the time. That put it an extra 3 -3 1/2 feet off the ground.:D

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As soon as I get my backhoe working again I am going to have a dock! That ramp stuff is for the birds, if you get a set large enough for confidence using them, you can't lift them!

Another Ahab

As soon as I get my backhoe working again I am going to have a dock! That ramp stuff is for the birds, if you get a set large enough for confidence using them, you can't lift them!
We'd love it if you get a shot of that to post, once you get around to it.

You know: Please. :D

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be a month or two, I am collecting railroad ties now for the retaining wall. I really wanted to go down but drainage becomes a problem!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would rather dig out the dock so I could just drive onto the trailer, but where I want to put them is not on a slope so draining them would be a problem, so I will build the ramp type, using the cross ties to shore up the ramp for the trailers to back up to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks