• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M275 recovery, now rebuild 8/11/15 update

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well after listing it on various trucking sites and not getting any bids for $2 or less a mile. KCCLAY and I decided to take the plunge and fetch it ourselves. We are in KC and the tractor was in Alexander La, 676 miles away. It was short notice found out at 08 Monday I could get it and we were on the road by 10. Took 12 hours to get down and 14 to get back on Tuesday at midnight. Truck was a lot rougher than the seller had said but had all the truck tractor parts/ Data plate says A2 but fender and motor says A1. Still on the trailer and don't know if it will even run yet. Has the worst "potato chip paint" I have ever seen and cab rust in the normal places but should restore nice. Ended up spending $600 fuel food and motel.

Attachments

91W350

Has anybody tried water blasting the tater chips away? I have a couple of deuces that are pretty bad, I am seriously considering hitting them with a water blaster. I know it will cut 2 x 4s in two in short order, I am hoping it will just blast the paint away. It would sure beat scraping and sanding if it works. I would love a 275! Glen

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks pretty good to me. Data plate looks original. I'd guess a 1966.
Agreed. My 1967 M275A2 is set up the same way, with the exhaust coming out underneath into a muffler, dumping out in front of the tandem. The last contract deuce tractors had the LD465 NA engines in them. Yours looks to have been in service well into the 1980s, to have gotten the CARC paint. Most were long gone by then. I think you did good with the purchase and can't beat the haul cost.

KCclay

It will be a nice tractor when finished. All the tractor specific stuff is there and in good shape. The trip was long but fairly easy. It pulled great, the M275 is a "light" deuce. We hauled home a M118a1 trailer for my M275a2 two weeks ago, it looks great with the tractor.

Attachments

jodka

Nice purchase.

I just noticed your location is DeSoto. You might be just down the road from where I work, at one of the businesses in Perimeter Park, that industrial park near the Sonic at the intersection of 83rd Street and route 7.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep jodka I live on the north edge of town and KCclay lives on the north end of Olathe, that is his M275 and M118A1. We went up to Mich to get the trailer. I hate to be a copy cat but now I am looking for one also!
NDT I think you are correct from the paint layers mine started out 24087 then was MERDC red desert then CARC'd 1991 plus has the composite lights and seat belts MWO.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M275A2 and the M118 are a match made in heaven. If ever there was a grocery getter semi, thats the combo right there! I had M275s before they were cool. Here's one of my all time favorite deuce pics featuring and M275A2.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks