• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M275 recovery, now rebuild 8/11/15 update

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Up Date, 4 years later.... Well it turned out that the engine was locked up and truck had been under water, most likely from Katrina. Knew right after we got back with it that the engine was locked, so got a new in the can multi from GSA.
000_0137.jpg 000_0138.jpg 000_0139.jpg
Today as we were pulling the engine we removed as much of the extra stuff off it to lighten the load, also drained the oil and about 1 1/2 GL of water came out with it! However the compressor, starter and HH pump show no signs of water damage. Tranny is toast also, only have drained the rear diff so far and only a TSP of water was in it, going to pull the axles and check bearings next.
000_0140.jpg
The good thing is I have a M109 with a crappy box with A+ running gear and hard top cab that I was about to sell, but we have decided to do a heart, lung, hair transplant. Almost thought of doing a RAYZER Deuce road tractor conversion mod and move the 275 stuff over to the 109 but like the short wheel base.

Last edited:

jasonjc

Looks like a nice truck , it just needs a little TLC.

If you pitch the trans let me know I mite be able to use it.

See you soon at KAMO!!!!! (had to get the plug in):naner:

JohnnyBM931A2

Man.. I keep coming back here to look at those first pictures that you posted. And every time I look at this thread I want one of those more and more.. Such a sweet truck :)

I think I will have to try and find one someday as a companion for my M931A2. I really have no experience with a manual trans though, and certainly not in a larger vehicle. Is it possible to convert one of these like an M35A3? (3116 CAT or another engine, and an Allison trans.) If I found one with a bad engine I would probably do that, assuming the money was available for modifications.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Man.. I keep coming back here to look at those first pictures that you posted. And every time I look at this thread I want one of those more and more.. Such a sweet truck :)

I think I will have to try and find one someday as a companion for my M931A2. I really have no experience with a manual trans though, and certainly not in a larger vehicle. Is it possible to convert one of these like an M35A3? (3116 CAT or another engine, and an Allison trans.) If I found one with a bad engine I would probably do that, assuming the money was available for modifications.
Better put on your fire retardant suit now! Some might flame away...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I could care less, I just know some might have an issue with that statement.

I already know you can't keep them all stock. Mine aren't anyways.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep it was under water at one time, took me over 30 mins just to pull 3 of the rusted up injectors 000_0143.jpg The inside of the intake manifold is full of corrosion 000_0141.jpg top of the heads still are oiled with just some light surface rust on 3 of the rockers. 000_0142.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Finally got the heads off and motor striped down for the junk man. #3 and #6 had rusted and the space between the head a piston top on those two was just full of loose corrosion. 000_0164.jpg It now looks like most the damage was to the top end as the crank journals were still clean and all the rod caps came off easy.000_0169.jpg 000_0168.jpg
Just got to get the steering wheel pulled so we can get the cab off and the frame to the blaster.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
All stripped down, just need to put bumper, shackle mounts back on and flip the wheel then it's off to the blaster.
000_0172.jpg 000_0174.jpg 000_0171.jpg Used a 6'cheater bar to get the air tank brackets back down to where they belong, &^%$#@ fork trucks!000_0175.jpg 000_0176.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks