• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M3 Halftrack Restoration

Dirt71

Dir 71 the M3 is going to be beautiful I am sure BUT I am really going to miss your 10 ton projects, whenever I was getting a littl down restoring my first Deuce all I had to do was come in and look at your projects and I could not wait to get in the shop! I hope whoever you sold them to has the same appreciation for them as you obviously did! Great luck with the tracks and I will stay tuned to the progress!
KK
I don't think I will be doing a complete frame off restoration at this time due to the fact of only having less than a year left on my lease. So for now my plan is to go through it and make everything mechanically functional and at a later time when I'm set up in a new shop go for the total resto. But if I think I can squeeze it in before the end of my lease I just might go for it. ;-)

Danger Ranger

Looking good! I was going to say you should have gotten an automotive lift, but remembered you will be moving, so you made a great choice. The halftrack looks good, keep it up.

Dirt71

Started removing the rear armor today, my intention was to only remove the side armor to have some crack's repaired and bracket's removed that were welded on, but I ended up going a bit further. As some of the picture's show the biggest reason I'm not doing a frame off restoration at this time is the poor condition of the frame, it's rusted up pretty bad. Maybe I will come across a good frame at a later date, then do a really nice job on it. But I'm already dolng more than I planned. The more I looked at the jacked up way the rear armor was assembled I could'nt stand it. The side armor will be going over to Alex's A.K.A. USMC6062 to have the necesary repair's done. He's the only one I trust with it.

Attachments

Dirt71

So, will there be frame repair happening while its apart, or are you just going to hope for a new frame?
Looking good though.
The frame still has plenty of strutural strenght left to it, it's more cosmetic. To me it's not worth tearing down and sandblasting as bad as it is with all the pitting through out. So, yes I will hope to come across a good frame someday. Right now just working with what I have.

Barron

I love your halftrack! When I was a kid in the 60's my dad bought one similar to this with the rounded fenders that had a grain box/bed put on the back for hauling wheat. I rode in it with my mom during harvest, it was a real mudder, and would throw mud everywhere leaving the field. It wasn't very fast, and My mom had some serious arm muscles! My dad had a halftrack in Korea with a quad 50 on it, and he always loved those trucks. Thanks for all the photos, it brings back a lot of memories.

Dirt71

Removed the rest of armor today, the pintle was a real pain to get out. Also a couple better pic's of the worst spot's on the frame, I will have to replace these corner backet's for sure, they help sopport the idler for the track.

Attachments

Wayofftrack

Hey David you work fast. I need to borrow a couple of items to repro if it is ok, that plate the pedestal bolts to and the two channels that attach it to the back of the cab partition. My fabricator can make you a new set also if you don't have a guy that can do it. I need those for my m3a1 resto. I have patterns for some of the other stuff you need for the floor like the chain lockers. I'm making all my new sheetmetal from original patterns.

Dirt71

Have you ever been glad you did something that you really did'nt want to do? Well I am glad I went ahead and disassembled the rest of all the moving part's on the rear. As the picture's show there were moving part's that needed the hot wrench to get apart. A friend of mine help me out with that. Also found that both spring's on the right side are broken, which explain's why it leaned 1" lower on one side. It's ready to roll outside to clean and paint.

Attachments

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you keep your shop so clean and orderly? We try but don't seem to be able to do it. We clean it and two days later it looks like a scrap yard. Excellent job, I'm jealous.

Wayofftrack

I went up for a visit yesterday it is a really cool shop. I wish I lived closer. You might have the best running halftrack I've heard yet. It sure was smooth and quiet. Merry Christmas!

Dirt71

I went up for a visit yesterday it is a really cool shop. I wish I lived closer. You might have the best running halftrack I've heard yet. It sure was smooth and quiet. Merry Christmas!
Thank's for the compliment Clint, it means alot to me coming from someone like yourself with such a vast knowledge in halftrack's. It's also what make's what we do all worth while :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks