• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 (and other MV) Roadside Assistance list

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thought crossed my mind about people getting on the list just to get email address to send crap to. But there is no real way to prevent that I guess.
I'm willing to help too. I do think that the list should be maintained in some sort of secure manner to prevent unauthorized personnel from accessing it.
I'm willing to help any of the members any way I can but these are my concerns also.My concerns may be unfounded but I worry about putting too much personal info out there for any and everbody to see. I'll have to study about adding my name to the list. About all I'm willing to do right now is post my general location on a map so people will know where I'm at. I know we all like to think of SS as one big happy family but there are people here that will take advatage of you given the chance (remember offy, craig, darrel, or whatever he's going by these days?).

There is a behind the scenes calling network in force here on SS now. I may not know the member's number I'm trying to reach but I more than likely can call somebody that does.

I'm leaning more towards a special forum for roadside emergencies that will flash a warning becon on to of the page to alert people (as has been discussed before). Seems to work pretty well when "need help" threads have been posted before. That way most of the personal info stays behind the scenes but the help that is needed gets taken care of.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody who has the know-how needs to PM Chris (steelsoldiers) and see about getting with Mike (mangus) and setting this up. Even if it costs money, there have been quite a few of us who have stated that we're willing to help pay for it if it can be done on the site like the old map was. I know a 13000 + member map would be a PITA to set up, but it can be done.

lonegunman

I'd be happy to help anyone who breaks in my area. The problem is that I'm not a mechanic, nor do I have any real spare parts handy. I do have parking at the house for a broke truck and am willing to go an hour in pretty much any direction.

What kind of assistance are we hoping to have when all is said and done?

chiefwollam

When you are alone, sitting on the side of the road in BFE, and your vehicle is TU, assistance is pretty much having a kindred soul stop and ask you if you need help. They might not be able to get you going, but it is relieving that they cared enough to ask in the first place. When all the kinks are worked out of this plan, I will be more than willing to add my info to the list, til then, if you are in need of something and you happen to be around the Toledo Ohio area, give me a call.

davidkroberts

Im willing to help anyone in the hobby. I dont really care if they are a member of this group, the MVPA in general, or a local outfit. We are too small a hobby to be limiting outselves to subgroups IMHO. I love this group always have but it doesnt mean I wont stop to help when I see a broken green machine on the road.

I live in Northwest Tennessee about where the I-40 and I-55 meet. I will help if i can
Dave Roberts 731-234-5135...., and ill give any information yall need for the list. I dont care.

if somebody gets this number and tries to sell me something, oh well its not like it hasnt happened before they will get hung up on too.....lol

Jakob

I wasn't going to limit it to just the Deuce forum. I'm only getting it started here. I wasn't sure how slammed I would be with new info. It's better, for me, to do it in stages instead of being slammed all at once. So, if anyone wants to pass on this thread to the other areas, I think we have most of the M35 folks.

L999here

...important enough...

Believe this thread is of such importance that it needs to be 'BTT' (bumped-to-the-top). Hope there is a list coming for each section of the Country... East,South,North and West. That way the list could be made more manageable and easily put into print. I'll print them for free...and mail for postage costs. My email has been sent to the gentleman who started the thread.

kastein

No real experience (yet) and no spare parts, but I'm a professional electrical engineer... so if you have electrical troubles, I can probably figure it out after a bit of head scratching.

Call 774 922 2854 (cell), ask for Ken and say you're from SteelSoldiers
I'm right in Worcester but may be moving soon, will be no more than 20min from Worcester no matter where I move to, will drive an hour or two with electrical tools and/or spare materials if needed

If all goes well, I'll be driving a 5 ton from Brownsville PA back to Mass this weekend... if not... next weekend! Was shopping for a Deuce but found a 5 ton by accident

Maverick1701

pm sent for south-east texas panhandle area

Chris Tiedemann
Memphis, TX (Hall County)
cell: 806/847-7693 or 469/247-5845
Email: hallso.deputy903@dtgoftexas.com
Special Notes: I work for the Sheriffs Office so if I cant find a way to get you back on the road I can get in touch w/someone who can.
I usually work nights so Im out and about on the main highway (287)

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) name: John (& Dianna) Bariou
2) location (city & state): San Angelo, TX
3) phone number (home or cell) 325-234-2500 (cell)
4) e-mail (optional): JEBariou@suddenlink.net
5) if you want to include any special notes, I'll include those too: Own one M35A2 at present (Aug2010), have limited recovery capacity, minimal storage area, and only the basic tools, but can provide muscle/encouragement or a ride into town if "nearby".

mckeeranger

Help in Central and Eastern KY

Since our busy season is over, I'm game:

1) name: Ken
2) location (city & state): Near Mt. Sterling KY, (Interstate 64, East of Lexington)
3) phone number (home or cell) 859-274-6045 (cell)
4) e-mail (optional): McKeeRanger@aol.com
5) special notes: 8 Miles from Interstate 64, 40 miles from Interstate 75, 6 miles from the KY Mountain Parkway. We have a large area to park trucks, a shop big enough for an M809 series truck, spare tires and some parts for the M35, fluids, tools, and tire changing equipment.

I have a fairly flexible work schedule during most weeks, and some flexibility on most weekends.

Jakob

I am working on this list when I can. Let me stress that I am out in the field training with my Army unit. I don't have much access to the internet. I spent all my time today on the internet getting access and information updated. It should be all good to go. I will not be back to full time access until the middle of August. PLEASE take that in to mind if you give me your info between now and then.

Unforgiven

Wouldn't the moderators be the most logical contact? After all, they surf the website daily. There would not even be a need for a list. When an MV owner needs help they could PM one of the mods. The mod could then send out a "blanket" notification to all SS website members. Since PM's also send out an email notification, that would mean every SS member would receive the email request for assistance. Those in the nearby area who are willing to help could then respond via PM to the stranded vehicle with further info such as phone numbers etc. It would be much easier than trying to maintain an up-to-date list of active members.

And how often would it actually need to be used? Maybe once every few weeks is my guess. So I don't think it would be an undue burden to the mods.

Just a suggestion.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't the moderators be the most logical contact? After all, they surf the website daily. There would not even be a need for a list. When an MV owner needs help they could PM one of the mods. The mod could then send out a "blanket" notification to all SS website members. Since PM's also send out an email notification, that would mean every SS member would receive the email request for assistance. Those in the nearby area who are willing to help could then respond via PM to the stranded vehicle with further info such as phone numbers etc. It would be much easier than trying to maintain an up-to-date list of active members.

And how often would it actually need to be used? Maybe once every few weeks is my guess. So I don't think it would be an undue burden to the mods.

Just a suggestion.
unforgiven:
You raise a very interesting concept :idea:. Thank you, Sir.

I sense the seed for an MV-911 Emergency Call System evolving here.

I, for one, would like to see more on this....