• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Bow wood dimensions + Hardware?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am looking to put together a set of bows for my M35A2C. I already have the corners, so I need to to make new wood and hardware. Can someone provide the dimensions of the all the wood. I guess the top bow would be the hardest as older bows will have sagged, so fresh bows or metal ones would be best to get the measurements from. I also need to make new hardware. Pics would probably be of the most use for the hardware.
Thanks,
Ethan

mangus580

Ethan, do a search on the Corners topic. The guy that Kenny mentioned that was selling the corners dirt cheap, has also advertised Fiberglass uprights. That will just leave you with the bows themselves.

MrAugust

just take on board that drop side has shorter wood ups..... or mine and my mates duz..... nut just to confuse my duce has metal bows on it...

ida34

The uprights should be the same size. Sometimes to get more height in the bed they will stick would down the upright hold raising all the uprights to the point that the canvas just barely overlaps the side of the bed.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah I picked up the corners I needed from that guy. I will have to email about the uprights. It probably would be useful to get this info posted though as I have found all the info for M37s and M101 trailers, but nothing about M35s. I know lots of people have bows on thier trucks.

MrAugust

kool mine are metal and fit wit just enugh overlap on the top of drop side, but wood ones on a mates duce wer to long an needed trimming down to fit his drop side???

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like I will have to answer this myself. Here is what I got after stopping by the local DRMO. These are all off of a really old wood set, so there may be shrinking or warping. The verticals are 2-7/16" x 15/16" x 45". It looks to be 41-3/8" down from the bottom of the metal corner. The top bows are 2-3/8" x 15/16". Then length is 75-1/4" but that is end to end not the actual length as it is not flat. The curve appears to max out at a 2" rise at the center. From what I have read the width of the top bow is the same drop side or not. The only difference being that instead of the top bow bolting to the corners it has a latch that secures it. I still don't know what the hardware that latch attaches to looks like. Pictures would be helpful. Also what does the strap do, and attach to?

Anyone want to verify this info?

MrAugust

the strap is for when sides rolled up, on the canvas theres some buckles and the bow straps fit through.... and holds the rolled up side in place....

houdel

Confirmed that the dropside and non dropside bows and corners are the same dimensionally. I have a mixture on my truck, two non dropside bows & corners, the rest are all dropside. The strap on the corners are only for the older covers. The newer 1 piece Vinyl covers (at least the one I have) has the buckles and straps built into the cover for securing the sides and ends when they are rolled up. It also has two straps at the rear that wrap around the rear bow to keep the cover in place when the sides & rear are rolled up. Also uses rubber bungee cords to tie the sides and rear down, no ropes or knots at all!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't provide and pics right now but can provide names of enterprising folks who have tried to make their own bows and gave up. Seems simple but its not. John Tennis has his committee of Amish Craftsmen make bows and even their bows differ slightly. Contact JT if you wish to buy. There should be several dealers carriying bows. Wasn't too long ago that GL released a crap load of ISO cover kits for 5 tons. Cover is too big but everything else is interchagable. Here in a bit I'll go into the outdoors and see if I still have a bow that I can get a pic of.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I may have just solved my bow/cover problem as I won a GL auction last night that at has them. I bid blind though, so I just hope everything is usable. I had to buy a M105 trailer, a M101 trailer bow/cover set, and some covers/bow for the 5 tons. Anyone need something? I should know the condition in a few weeks.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1010060

I'll be updating this thread with better measuments once I have these home to measure.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Should you happen to find a green M105 cover in that lot, I'd like to get my hands on that. I also need a set of green fiberglass headboard and rear board sections for my 105. That's all I need for mine.

Thanks

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't think that there are any board sections in that auction, but I also won another lot down the road that has some stake/board sections I think for a 5 ton. I have to look at them more, but I don't think I have a use for them. They do look new though, so I would hate to chop them up if some with the right vehicle needs them.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1018741

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Builder,

The sideboard sections look like they are for 2.5 ton dropside. If you dont need them, let me know, I'll take them, and give ya some $ for your trouble.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'll keep you in mind once I get them. I need to make sure I have no use for them. I am fairly sure that the side boards won't fit the 2.5 ton as I don't remember them being 12ft long. I think they are shorter like the 5ton dropside with the two section sides. The headboard might be interchangable though. There is a HMMWV cover in that lot that I definatly don't need. I have to check condition, but my quick look yesterday looked good.