• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 gasser cost estimate

Kaiser67M715

1952 M35 Gasser repair and build

Hi all, I am looking at an M35a1, gas job, single rear wheels, 11.00x20 michelin XL rubber with excellent tread, but weather cracked. needs a wiring harness installed(NOS harness included in sale) has some extra brake parts, extra driveshafts in varying condition, motor does roll over using a breaker bar. has good vinyl top troop seats. has extra ignition parts( rotor and cap, 2 sets plugs) extra drum and hub, 2 extra tires+rims, and some more miscellaneous stuff

Body is straight, little to no rust, no big dents scratches, banged around, didn't see any bondo/patch jobs, not cut up in any significant way that I can tell

anyhow, am looking for some opinions on price, I went in initially thinking the initial 2500 was a decent deal, but decided that it was eventually too much, and I wanted to get my M715 fixed up first.
Well the guy called again, needs it moved/gone, said 1700 was lowest he would go. I am thinking about it and thinking maybe 1,400 for the truck would be a better price, especially if he needs it gone, that and he can't really do better then $900 for scrap

I'll see if I can get a couple pics posted

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. We ask that images be posted here on SS, versus hosted somewhere else. Here's a tutorial: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...s-a-tutorial&p=1295196&viewfull=1#post1295196

2. That is a really cool truck. It isn't an M35A1-it's an M35. An A1 would have the 427 series Multifuel.

3. That is a really unmolested truck. Other than the radials and being singled out, it is very original. Gasser shifter, box seat, early turn signals, early mirrors, etc. I really like it-is it still 24V? It should have the early M-series 25A generator and external regulator.

4. I think $1700 is a fair price for it, but unfortunately, there is not a large M44 gasser collector community. The overwhelming amount of people who want a deuce want a multifuel. I think if you pai $1700 you could eventually get out from under it without losing money, but it will take a while to find the right buyer.

5. If you buy it, please re-dual it or single it the right way.

EDIT: And it used to be Strata Blue! Awesome sauce. A USAF deuce. If you buy it, you have to paint it blue.

M35_La_Scie_Labrador.sized.jpeg306049_208114849247723_3336029_n.jpgM35_Fox_Harbour_1960.sized.jpeg1960_G.sized.jpeg10460501_700367590056499_449784268140112325_n.jpg421566_308309455894928_1505447893_n.jpg415454_307227406003133_1492674769_o.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I would pay $1700 for it in a heartbeat. If you get it for that you can realistically drop in a multifuel and matching transmission for probably less than the cost of the truck.
of course you could keep it the way it is too.
Look at it this way, if you were to buy it and cut it up, you could get your money back out of just the front and one rear axle.

Kaiser67M715

engine bay m35.jpgM35 drivers side.jpgcab drivers side m35.jpg
ok, so here are the pics, uploaded to site per request

funny you mentioned the strata blue, he thinks it was an air force truck, considering the excellent condition, so he was thinking it must have lived in the hanger, and the tell tale signs of blue all over the place

and yes is still 24V, according to him(and he was mad at this, anyone should be) but the guys he bought it from tried to splice in a 12 volt pump and used a 5 gallon bucket on the fender to get it started. well it melted the harnes and caused some fire damage to the fender, which was sanded and painted once taken to his house, and hence needs new harness(included)

2500, although may be good, was too high. 1700 is better, but got alot of projects(m715, VW bug, mercedes) and student loans to think about, it is a weak work time for me (snow shoveling) so have to watch the funds carefully

but appreciate and thankful for the insight so far

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I mean, what's your goal with it? Do you just think it's neat? Do you want to enter the military vehicle hobby? Want a deuce? Looking for a truck to refurbish and resale? A lot of this depends upon your intent.

I like gasser M44 trucks-they're really rare and unusual, but they're tough to get rid of.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can use the gas eng/trans if you change them, will be for my M34 it is the one with single tires by the way.
The M34 also is the one with in bed wheel wells the M35 has same bed as a1/a2 etc.

Last edited:

rustystud

I would buy it in a heart beat ! That is one fine looking truck ! Yes the gassers take a lot of fuel, but you could put in a modern 6 cylinder gas engine or like Jeepsinker said put in a multifuel and transmission and then you have a M35A1 !

Kaiser67M715

well my dad fixed up a 48 Willys CJ2A, started bringing it to military shows, I saw an M715, absolutely had to have one, found one, started work on it.

at the same time really liked the CCKW, WW2 deuces. so ultimately tried to find one, failed miserably, because I don't have alot of money and most of the ones I found were already restored, where I would like to do work on it, really make it mean something to me.

so Started looking at later deuces, figuring I could fix them up, run them for a bit, use them on our small farm, hauling hay, firewood, etc. then sell, hoping to turn at least a small profit and work my way to the CCKW

So I guess my intent if I do get it would be to run her, use her, then try and sell, several years down the road

again thanks for all the input, really appreciate it

Smokinyoda

My opinion, snatch it up. But if you choose not to please share the contact info of the seller so someone else can. You said seller needs it gone, so he might take the quick and easy way out and scrap it. I would hate to see a truck that nice cut up for scrap.

AZDeuce

I see it has turnsignals those were installed by someone who knew how to add them, OR it has a M35A2 wiring harness. I installed a M35A2 wiring harness on 1957 Curtis-Wright M35 gasser, There are a few wires you have to re-purpose, like for the coil, and you have to extend the starter wires because the starters are on opposite sides from a gasser to a multi-fuel, I went this way so I could have turn signals on my gasser. It worked out just fine. That's a NICE truck save it if you can.

Kaiser67M715

well, looks like I'll get it for 1,400, have to figure out a tow. its not far but the only big rig tow I know if besides some guys at my dads work,, want close to 400 to move it. so just waiting on a reply from my dad to see if anyone at his work can do it cheaper. will probably get it this weekend, and maybe pick up some of the spare parts today

RodUSMC1962

My 1952 Studebaker m-35 gets 7 mpg at 45 mph. Love this truck, hard to start when hot. Installed electric fuel pump, rerouted gas lines away from block, spacer under carb, add lead substitute still problems . Wait 30 min. and starts right up, starts good cold, think it is this unleaded gas today. Also run 30% aviation gas. :driver:

Kaiser67M715

Ok, quick question, I searched quickly, but mot of the dimensions seemed to be outer dimensions. BUT I need inner dimensions of the bed, because of the snow the only place to put it is where I placed my m715 bed(just the rear cargo body, frame is in garage with cab awaiting rust repair) so I would like to, fit the M715 bed in the M35 bed, I am trying to remember, but the M715 bed should be right around 83 inches wide. I'll measure later, but without running to the M35 during work just to get 1 measurement, I am wondering if one of ya'll would be kind enough to provide the inside width of the bed.

Thanks

(and if maybe one of the Mods would change title to, "M35, Restoration and Repair" or something like that, or I can just start a new thread, I don't know how you guys would deal with something like this, but I know some forums like to keep single threads, rather then branching them out)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks