• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35+S-280 vs M109 inside and outside dimensions

Which 2.5 Ton shelter option (s) do you prefer?

• M35 + S-240 in bed. Nice back porch

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • M35 + S-280 shelter in bed (Aluminum EMP-box rules! we don't need no steenkin windows!)

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • M36 + S-280 shelter in bed - small porch.

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • M109 (with windows! and curtains? NOT. -but maybe some rust and rot. oops!)

Votes: 31 52.5%

• Total voters

91W350

Thanks guys, I suspected so.... I will try to pick this truck up. It looks good, if it runs as good as it looks, I will be a happy camper..... Which I suspect it would be great for! Glen

milbri09

Only a thought but I lived in a m109 for about three years in a place with lots of sand. We got it with nothing in it. Got my hands on a civy a/c unit and that front window fell out. I really liked the truck. And atleast with it you "never" have to worry about it falling out of the bed.

rlwm211

S280 is my choice

If I am not mistaken, the S280 is far more efficient with 2 inches of foam insulation if you try to heat or cool it. I can keep my S280 warm at 10 degrees outside with a 1500 watt heater. The heat loss conversion says that I should be good to about 0 degrees with that amount of differential of outside and inside temps.
The same would be true with A/C. I would spend the extra money ahd get a unit with a vent hose setup instead of cutting through the wall and installing an AC.
Last Summer I used my shelter for camping several times and I had the vents in front open as I had chopped the aluminum reducers out as I did not have the fans, and I got a frameless Screen door kit from Wally world and that kept it very airy during the day and at night with a small DC fan it was quite cool.
I don't worry about my shelter falling off because I have the proper cable tiedowns and center anchor blocks.

One other benfit is that I took my shelter off this fall when I had some hauling to do and I did not need to have a separate truck which you would do if you wanted to get a load of gravel with an M109. Used a roll back and it was easy as pie off and on.

Just my two cents

RL

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Bringing this somewhat dated thread up again.

One concern with the whole shelter series but it seems more prevelant with the larger ones is water leaks. The leaks lead to mold/fungus and that is virtually impossible to abate in these systems.

Another concern is lead paint on the older shelters. It would need abated and disposed of. Granted some could care less but the paint flakes getting in your food can make you stoooopid.

Just looking at those that are on our second favorite website, you can see one or the other or both of these issues in every single one up for auction.

I guess it goes back to inspect, inspect, inspect before you buy.

phil2968

Yes pls post some pics, I never seen one totally empty.

I must contend a point though, the M109 has wood filled walls, and things, heavy things, can be bolted right on. On the S-280 - you must carefully design the mounting and preferrably take note to put the fasteners through the skeleton if possible.
One M109 box, the only one I have seen taken apart, had wood sheets inside the steel walls. I am informed that they do not have this stock.
I know this is an older thread but I came across it in a search and wanted to add my knowledge on the 109 box.

My M109 box as nothing but steel in the walls with some 2" fiberglass insulation. It was built in 1966, this agrees with the frame # (thanks Carnac) and the wiring in the box is dated 4-66.

Attachments

rlwm211

The first thing I did when I got my shelter was to get on the roof and seal every seam, and potentional source of a leak. As to the Lead issue all I can say is that if you are around autobody work a lot, you are exposed to more lead than a well painted surface. Automotive paint has lead in it, or at least used to. The interior finish on my S280 is in great shape so I am not really concerned. I have wired the shelter for 12 volt lighting and accessories and have ample storage with Aircraft sealed batteries in the shelter. I also wired in a minimal amount of 120 volt, enough to charge the batteries and run two lights. Primary power source will be 12 volt. I am also a ham radio operator and have several radios in the shelter and that is why the 12 volt versus the 24.

RL

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd posted earlier that the M109 box had wood in the walls. This is apparently wrong as according to everyone else they all seem to have fiberglass insulation or nothing? Anyway, the one I had seen at the time - I am guessing someone had put plywood inside, maybe to hold some heavy piece of gear solidly.

rlwm211

I guess the "Rest of the Sotry" is whatever works works....I like my shelter and considered trading for a Shopvan body and decided to keep it.

I imagine for some, the lack of windows is a big problem and may be somewhat claustrophobia inducing. I could care less. I like how snug and warm it is when it is cold outside.

I like the heavy aluminum supports every 16 inches or so where I can attach anything I want to the walls, floor, and ceiling.

I guess this thread comes down to what you want to make your rig into. In my case it is strictly utilitarian and very simple, and pretty well organized with little in the form of decorative materials. I do not plan on living in there ever, so I wanted to make it a suitable work place and it is just that. I also made darn sure the bunk is extremely comfortable and I sleep well. I have hot coffee in the morning, and cold beer or water in the hot afternoon...there is little else that matters.....

RL

54reo

Wow

What a blast from the past

The OPCOM project turned into one heck of a fun time back in the winter of '09

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to solar, had you considered wind as well? Not instead of, but as accompanying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks