• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 465 service questions

fredrader

Hi all,I am new to the deuce croud but a friend or mine (Elohim1) just bought a 65 M35A2 w tith the D engine last week and I am buying a 70 M35A2 with the C engine (Whistler)this weekend and was wondering about the oil I should use in it and how much it will take to fill it back up after changing it..I have some Shell Rotella T 15w40..
Thanks and I will have a bunch more dumb questions very soon...

jeepthrills

First off...welcome, and never be afraid to ask anything on this board (regarding your truck of course [^] ).

everyone has their own ideas about which oil to use. I use the Rotella. And with both oil sumps drained it takes 22-24 quarts to refill. Or just about 1 case.

Best of luck with the truck!!!

fredrader

Thanks guy's,We downloaded the manuals and all the info we could on them so that should help a lot.. The guy we got one of them from said to check the oil as soon as the engine was shut down and before the oil drained out of the filters but I have never heard of that before..I am a truck driver (OTR) and I have always let it set a while so all the oil drained down before checking it..Anyway Thanks again and I'll post some pics once I pick mine up..

Monster Man

fred rader said:
Thanks guy's,We downloaded the manuals and all the info we could on them so that should help a lot.. The guy we got one of them from said to check the oil as soon as the engine was shut down and before the oil drained out of the filters but I have never heard of that before..I am a truck driver (OTR) and I have always let it set a while so all the oil drained down before checking it..Anyway Thanks again and I'll post some pics once I pick mine up..

yup, that's correct, kind of odd, but correct. The dipstick itself says something like "check one minute after shutdown" and "do not screw in to check oil", something like that

fredrader

Hey Thanks,He sounded like he knew what he was talking about so I didn't say anything ...But I would have never thought about doing it that way..Thanks again,Fred

MVtrucker

Checking the oil is a little tricky at first. After sitting a while, the reading should show over full. Check it too soon and it will show needing oil. If the stick indicates full when cold, I add a quart.
Rather than play with twenty-two 1-quart containers, buy your oil in 1-gallon cases or 5-gallon pail. I keep both on hand. Use a funnel and put the five in, then two quarts from a 1-gallon. Carry the extra two quarts in the truck's tool box.
Shell is a good oil and popular with truckers. I use Mobil 1300 15W-40 Series 3, but am going to revert to the original specs for the motor and go Mobil 1330 Series 3, straight 30W. Always make sure that the oil is speced for a turbo. Non-turbo does not require Series 3.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with Joe here, I have used both 30W (Texaco Ursa) and 15W-40 (Shell Rotella).
The multigrade will help crank the engine faster in the cold weather, but I feel more comfortable knowing that the specified oil is used. I'll change back to 30W before the Aberdeen trip.
Below images show the results from having the oil analyzed, both 30W and 15W-40 are shown.

fredrader

Thanks guy's,I gave Chris some Rotella and he changed hit oil and seems he couldn't get one of the drain plugs out..He was only able to drain less than 4gal from it..He installed the new filters and some Rotella 15-40 and was done..We will have to get that plug out for the next oil change..I checked the operators manual and it said nothing about oil changes or lube ...I figure there has to be a bunch of grease fittings under these things and we looked and found some but we don't want to miss any..Which manual or link can I get to show and tell adout servicing our trucks??? Thanks for the help...Fred

bomar76

You need the lubrication order.
Mine is outside in my truck and I am not gonna wade through the snow to get it, so do theis -
Go here
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/online.htm
and enter M35. Find the TM for lubrication oder.
Download and print.
Shows all the grease fittings, lub capacities, etc.
If for some reason you can'f do it I'll get the CD and sent the pdf to you.
You REALLY need to get a CD witn all the manuals....someone on here sells them for the cost of the disc and postage.

fredrader

Hey Thanks,We bought a CD from a member here but it hasn't arrived yet..I have downloaded about 7 manuals but looks like I still didn't get the one I am looking for..I will try and download from the link you supplied..Thanks so much for all the help..You know how us newbies are with questions.. :confused:

fredrader

Bomar,I went to the site and tried to access it and couldn't figure out how to get any info from there at all...I don't know what I was doing wrong but I couldn't figure out how to get anything there..If it's not to much trouble I would like info on how to access that site or maby you can send me the pdf of the lube order ...I would still like to be able to access the site but maby it's over my head,,Thanks again,Fred fredrader@excite.com

bomar76

Fred -
With the site being down for so long it delayed my emailing you theLubrication Order.
It's a .pdf file so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader (on just about every pc made since 1945) to view it.
The file is 1.3 Megs so I hope it goes thru...most of the freebie webmails will not allow a file of that size.
Joe

bomar76

Sorry, like I said most freebie webmail providers strip big attachments.
The TM you want is:

LO 9-2320-209-12-1

It's only 34 or so pages so print it out, punch it, and put it in a 3 ring binder. I am slowly amassing a complete printed set of TM's as I print out whatever I need from the CD Roger gave me and add it to the binder he provided with some of the TM's already in it.

fredrader

Hey thanks again bomar,I wound up going with chris (elohim1) and buying the 70 AM General M35A2 we went to look at first before he bought his 65 Jeep Corp M35A2..He is a haggler so he talked the guy into selling it to me for $2800 and throwing in a NIB winter kit and a spare tire w/wheel..I drove it home about 50mi w/o any problem...I took about 30 pics and put em on photo bucket so I can post a link..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks