• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 additional alternator

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted my 12 volt alternator right above the stock 24 volt. I used longer belts and a replacement double pulley from a IH 966 tractor. The alternator seems to fit well in that place and so far neither pulley slips even though there is much less belt contact on the 24 volt pulley.
You won't have a slipping-belt problem as long as the batteries are generally well-charged. Slipping belts are more likely to happen with more discharged batteries as more torque is required to put out more amps.

Nice set-up. GM alternator? Which one? Part numbers for longer belts?

graf_222

You won't have a slipping-belt problem as long as the batteries are generally well-charged. Slipping belts are more likely to happen with more discharged batteries as more torque is required to put out more amps.

Nice set-up. GM alternator? Which one? Part numbers for longer belts?
Yup, just a 10SI GM alternator. It is the 63 amp version from a 1986 K10 pickup.

As for the belts, I used two Dayco 17570, but the length needed will depend on how close the alternator gets placed to the engine.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotcha! It does help to know the belt length since you already have a successful install and so other people will have a benchmark to start with. Thanks for the post!

tm america

i sell the brackets you need to to install a 12 alt on a multifuel.. i have them listed in the classifieds..the price is 50 plus 10.70 shipping they use a 10si alt

tm america

The 12 volt alt uses a 55 inch long 1/2 inch belt ..So the numbers on the belt will be 4l550 or l455.the 12 volt alt brackets work with either a 10si,12si,or 130cs alt....The 24 volt kit uses stock belts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks