• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 air filter element: commercial part #?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks, I needed to order up an alternator belt and this helped. It is indeed the saame size between the two spreadsheets I found.

V8srfun

This is just a thought but knowing how these engines do not like intake restrictions (poor flowing aftermarket filters). I wonder if turned up trucks would benefit from a different filter setup that can flow more air and possibly decrease egt’s. We know that the dust bowl filters cause higher egt’s so can the reverse happen with more capacity.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is just a thought but knowing how these engines do not like intake restrictions (poor flowing aftermarket filters). I wonder if turned up trucks would benefit from a different filter setup that can flow more air and possibly decrease egt’s. We know that the dust bowl filters cause higher egt’s so can the reverse happen with more capacity.
This is exactly why I went with an m35a3 intake and filter on my m109 when I put an LDS in it. Stock m35 filter is 410cfm, m35a3 filter per the phone call with the manufacturer is 575cfm.

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad I found this post because I'm not sure I have the right filter.

My old one has a hole in the filter element, so I ordered one . The part number matched on the website, but the one I got has no part number on the filter itself. It looks like what @country posted above. It's about 12 inches across. But my old is only about 10 inches across. Seems like a small difference, but over the entire filter that adds up, so I'm wondering if this thing flows an actual 410 CFM, or its like the commercial ones mentioned earlier in this thread flowing much less.

Thoughts? Did these filters change dimensions at some point but keep the same part number?

Last edited:

Charlie175

I ordered a replacement also, it was a lot smaller than the OEM one that I have. Seller says it flows the same but my EGT temps go up faster now.

Gypsyman

Interesting comparison. The larger used filter is an original Greenlee and the new filter is the current 410 CFM rated Donaldson.

The original Greenlee filter after being cleaned weighs 4.8 lbs while the Donaldson weighs 3.8 lbs.

Greenlee OD is 11-9/16" while the Donaldson is 10".

It's impossible to judge one filters rating against another without knowing at what restriction the rated flow was achieved. An interesting test would be running a truck at a given RPM and load with each brand of filter while measuring inlet restriction. I had an AFE 1400+ CFM rated cone filter on a Cummins 5.9L twin turbo truck and the filter would completely collapse as soon as I went WOT and the boost came up. EGT's and/or a restriction gauge tell you more than manufacturers ratings in most cases.

Comparison photos below...

IMG_7594.JPG IMG_7593.JPG IMG_7592.JPG IMG_7591.JPG IMG_7590.JPG IMG_7589.JPG

Charlie175

The replacement one I got is the smaller dia and my temps go up quicker with it. Very frustrating.
I had looked for that conical filter but it is NLA unless you can find it. Something out there has to flow better with good filtration.
I've been looking for the fender mounted filter but haven't found one close by.
My 6.7 cummins has itty bitty filter compared to whats on the Deuce and it pushes 400 hp.

V8srfun

The replacement one I got is the smaller dia and my temps go up quicker with it. Very frustrating.
I had looked for that conical filter but it is NLA unless you can find it. Something out there has to flow better with good filtration.
I've been looking for the fender mounted filter but haven't found one close by.
My 6.7 cummins has itty bitty filter compared to whats on the Deuce and it pushes 400 hp.
That is because the turbo on the deuce it terribly inefficient and any intake restriction causes a increase in intake air temps and a rich condition in the combustion chamber.

kenn

I just went ahead and ordered an "identical" one from one of the online vendors here. It was the same height/diameter as the stock one I removed. It was either Mikes or Eriks. I can't remember which. It looked identical but strangely, didn't have a part number on it. My old one was clearly the original. Brown and rusty. I started to clean it but opted for new. Hopefully the new aftermarket ones have equivalent flow.

ToddJK

There was a filter that Tactical Repair recommended, but I noticed it's discontinued now. As I would search for others like it, none of the manufacturers would give a cfm rating. For the time being I've been sticking with the stock filters, have two of them so I'll wash one and dry it out, rotate them when I do an oil change. So far that's been working, but still be nice to find a better filter that can fit with no modifications.

ToddJK

Yeah I had seen that and tried to find one but have failed so fair.
Trying to find the five ton air cleaners aren't easy either, and the few I did find, the shipping quotes were insane. The thought of buying a big rig filter housing like one from an international or mack seemed like a good idea, fabricating a bracket so it fits and bolts to the fender and then use a reducer to fit the air intake pipe. Looking online has been a bust, I need to find a semi junk yard or an old semi grave yard to look and pick from in that case. In some cases, maybe even a filter box off a tractor or industrial equipment, but all that seems expensive if found online.

V8srfun

I think the best option is to find something at the local big rig salvage yard. I think I am going to visit one in the near future if not for anything but the fun of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks