• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 air pack questions

Dhallftworth

I'm in the process of working through my brake system on my 67' deuce, and I have a couple questions regarding the airpack. I tried to search before asking, but couldn't find these specific things:
1. Oiling the air pack? I've heard several people talk about using air oil to oil it, but where do you add the oil? I've heard there's an Allen screw, also pull the j-line? Where is best and where is the Allen screw?
2. Speed bleeder screw for the air pack? I'm installing Dorman p/n: 12707 speed bleeder screws on my wheel cylinders, do you recommend also installing one for the air pack? Do you know the size and thread pattern or a part number for the bleeder screw?
3. Bleeding the Master Cylinder? On my new and old m/c, I don't have anywhere to bleed it. Am I missing something when people are talking about bleeding it?

I appreciate all of the help, and I have went through the TM's for my deuce. These are just some questions that I have left.

sandcobra164

1. Oiling the airpack. On the back of the airpack is where you will find the plug to add oil. I couldn't get mine out and feared I'd strip it so I removed the J pipe. I oiled it with PB Blaster as it was stuck from none use. Brakes were much better afterwards.
2. The bleeder screws are the same as the wheel cylinders.
3. The bleeder screw on the airpack is what bleeds the master. Bleed this first and then move to the passenger side rear most axle. Always bleed the wheel cylinders the furtherest away and work towards the closer ones. Check the master often when bleeding, you don't want it to run out and start pumping air into the lines.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend do automatic bleeders and use a power bleeder.

DOT 5 gets tiny bubbles trapped in it from pumping alot(when manually bleeding).

Dhallftworth

DOT 5 gets tiny bubbles trapped in it from pumping alot(when manually bleeding).
I've noticed the small bubbles. Being new to the deuce, I don't have a power bleeder yet. I need to build one.

For or lubing the air pack, I picked up some PB BLASTER brand Famous Blaster ATC, powerful Air Tool Cleaner from NAPA. I saw someone mention a lube that also cleans the air pack in a different thread, but they didn't say what it was called. I don't know if this is what they were talking about, but PB Blaster works great, so this should too. image.jpg

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not use that.

Simply use light oil.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hydraulic oil/10wt

Because that is what is specified in the LO.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have never needed to lube mine(also a short one). I think that you might have to go through the j tube. Maybe search the forums and see if a shorty has been taken apart. It might be easier to pull the air can off the back.

welldigger

I have never needed to lube mine(also a short one). I think that you might have to go through the j tube. Maybe search the forums and see if a shorty has been taken apart. It might be easier to pull the air can off the back.
After studying the short airpak inside and out I don't believe it was intended to be lubed. The air cylinder doesn't have a felt wiper like the long one. Just a rubber cup seal. They also did not add any provision for lubing it.

If you are inclined to lube it then it would me much easier to just remove the whole air cannister. The spring inside is captured by the seal and that j-pipe is rediculously hard to remove. I don't know what they put on the flare nut or how hard they tightened it but it is in there. Be sure to replace the o ring on the other end of the j pipe.

Dhallftworth

My j-tube came off relatively easy and the end with the o-ring came out easily. I got a little lube in it, but probably not enough to make a difference.
Here's something weird I noticed: when I was pushing down on the brake pedal, I noticed that the T fitting, where the vent for the master cylinder is connected, was bubbling. This seems weird to me, does anybody have a clue why this would be doing that?

welldigger

Any idea what liquid was bubbling? Water or brake fluid? And which tee specifically are you referring to? Sounds like you either have moisture in your vent lines or brake fluid is bypassing somewhere.

Have you drained your air tanks?

Dhallftworth

Any idea what liquid was bubbling? Water or brake fluid? And which tee specifically are you referring to? Sounds like you either have moisture in your vent lines or brake fluid is bypassing somewhere.

Have you drained your air tanks?
I'm not sure what it was, and I have but not in a week or so. Just noticed it today when I was bleeding the brakes.

welldigger

Drain your tanks after every drive. At least when you know when your done for the day. Water will destroy an air pak. Thats why I had to replace mine. Dang thing was rusted solid.

Is it bubbling around a fitting? Cause that means its leaking. There shouldn't be liquid in any of those air lines. Though, without an air dryer some moisture will get in there.

Dhallftworth

Drain your tanks after every drive. At least when you know when your done for the day. Water will destroy an air pak. Thats why I had to replace mine. Dang thing was rusted solid.

Is it bubbling around a fitting? Cause that means its leaking. There shouldn't be liquid in any of those air lines. Though, without an air dryer some moisture will get in there.
Is there anyway to keep the tanks dry, or has anyone installed electric solenoids on their tanks?

peashooter

Even though it takes a different size wrench? Would you recommend a speed bleeder for this?
Somewhere I ran across a person recommending a cheap "Sillcock Key" for removing the airpack plugs on the Long style AirPaks. HERE is a link. They are easy to find at a home improvment store in the plumbing section and cost about $5-8

Attachments

Last edited: