• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 As a working Truck

Deuceshigh

Hello all! As you can tell, I am a fan of the deuce. My dad drove one back in day in artillery (he was the only fellow large enough to handle one on his gun crew it appears) and my grandfather on that side drove one in Korea. I work part time as a handy man for my mom who is a contractor (odd job for her I know, but she gets the job done well) and I am basically using that as a justification to get a really, really big truck. I hope I am not stepping on any toes, but with my quick searching I could not find any information on how the Deuce will hold up in full time working. I will only use it in the summer primarily (and drive it 450 miles to school twice a year up in maine and likely haul stuff for the forestry program at school). And before anyone shoots me down I can drive a stick, but this will be the first vehicle I will purchase, but I have driven a few larger pickups for work, but nothing this large. Should I purchase one I will try to get the hang of driving it in a relatively quiet traffic free area before going into traffic (and for sure keep it under 50 MPH). There is a good chance that I will use it as a moving truck (instead of a box truck), but I would need to mount a ramp on the back before it becomes practical.

For general road use and about 150 miles a week, how would an M35A2 hold up? I am somewhat good friends with a grumpy old mechanic who was in the Marines for lord knows how many years and will at least be willing to tell me where I messed up doing repairs on it (plus I love tinkering with anything mechanical. Loud things tend to have more appeal to me). How idiot resistant are these trucks? I would like to say that Im not an idiot, but so far I haven't really done any hardcore work on a truck and am going to bugger something.

Also, how well do they run on multi fuels? I can get about 150 gallons of ATF and used motor oil a week and also have an 800 gal in ground fuel tank I can use for fuel storage. Is it realistic to mix the ATF/ Motor oil 3 to one with diesel and run that as a primary fuel source? Also, how hard is it to retrofit an auxiliary fuel tank (say another 50 or hundred gallon tank)?

I intend to keep it as stock as possible (except for maybe better seats) and simple. I hear the A3 is easier to drive, but less reliable. Is that true? I want reliability as I can learn to drive a big truck fairly easily (I learned to drive in a suburban and passed my road test with it, so Im not a terrible driver).

thanks for the help all! Hopefully Ill have a deuce on the road by this time next year. :mrgreen:

Since it seems no one ever posts this anymore I will share this bit of info. It contains information on the M44 (M35) series trucks.

Welcome to the site, and don't worry if some of these boys get a little grumpy and say some strange things that you may take as being mean but they all mean well. This IS the best Forum I have been a member of. A lot of experience, information and good stories here so learn what you can.

As well you said "and for sure keep it under 50 MPH" it won't go much faster than that anyway so you are off to a good start here... some of the speed increasing ideas have ruffled quite a few feathers. The M35 may be slow but is a well built durable truck that if PROPERLY taken care of will be reliable just like any other machine Down load and read all of these TM's they are your Bible on the 35: JATONKA's M35 TM  download page

Good luck.

Attachments

Since it seems no one ever posts this anymore I will share this bit of info. It contains information on the M44 (M35) series trucks.

Welcome to the site, and don't worry if some of these boys get a little grumpy and say some strange things that you may take as being mean but they all mean well. This IS the best Forum I have been a member of. A lot of experience, information and good stories here so learn what you can.

As well you said "and for sure keep it under 50 MPH" it won't go much faster than that anyway so you are off to a good start here... some of the speed increasing ideas have ruffled quite a few feathers. The M35 may be slow but is a well built durable truck that if PROPERLY taken care of will be reliable just like any other machine Down load and read all of these TM's they are your Bible on the 35: JATONKA's M35 TM* download page

Good luck.

EWhytsell

Its a really old vehicle so it has most of the pros/cons of anything in that age group.
Simple stuff that just works, easy to work on when it doesn't

The bad, parts aren't just around the corner and will need researched then shipped, its big, slow, and hard to maneuver even compared to more modern trucks of the same size.

If your at a point in life where you have the time and money to maintain one of these machines then go for it, but I wouldn't put myself in a position where I had to rely on it solely for getting to work.

Deuceshigh

As well you said "and for sure keep it under 50 MPH" it won't go much faster than that anyway so you are off to a good start here... some of the speed increasing ideas have ruffled quite a few feathers. The M35 may be slow but is a well built durable truck that if PROPERLY taken care of will be reliable just like any other machine Down load and read all of these TM's they are your Bible on the 35: JATONKA's M35 TM* download page

Good luck.
Don't worry about grumpy. I work for an old Navy feller cleaning up his shop. As long as y'all don't start swearing Ill live. I do like to follow instructions for manuals. Seems safer than trying to invent things myself. ;-) I like explodey stuff, but not in things Im driving. I understand they are very slow to stop, so gong slow is likely the wisest decision. I do not want to wind up ramming somebody with a 13,000 lb truck.

Thank you very much for the Manuals, those will likely save me lots of trouble.

EWhytsell

I don't know about slow to stop, mine stops as good or better than my `05 tacoma and `99 grand cherokee. No anti lock system getting in the way so it will make you kiss the windshield in a hurry, but I still drive it like I'm fully loaded.

Only other thing I can think of is making sure you can park/store it where your going to be living over the next few years. Works great if you got a few acres or live in the country. Not so well when your in an apartment, or housing development that doesn't allow commercial looking trucks overnight.

Deuceshigh

Its a really old vehicle so it has most of the pros/cons of anything in that age group.
Simple stuff that just works, easy to work on when it doesn't

The bad, parts aren't just around the corner and will need researched then shipped, its big, slow, and hard to maneuver even compared to more modern trucks of the same size.

If your at a point in life where you have the time and money to maintain one of these machines then go for it, but I wouldn't put myself in a position where I had to rely on it solely for getting to work.
Thats good to know that they are easy to fix. Simple is good! It seems like a labor of love where it needs something fixed weekly.

Fortunately I don't have to rely on it as it would be more of a "hey we need a ton of gravel, so lets make a run" kind of thing or a haul everyones stuff to deer camp kind of thing. I found a parts source online and locally available parts (oil filters, fuel lines ETC). Its mostly a rationalization for getting a sh*ts and giggles-mobile. If it breaks down I can still bum a ride off my mom on the way to work.

I don't know about slow to stop, mine stops as good or better than my `05 tacoma and `99 grand cherokee. No anti lock system getting in the way so it will make you kiss the windshield in a hurry, but I still drive it like I'm fully loaded.

Only other thing I can think of is making sure you can park/store it where your going to be living over the next few years. Works great if you got a few acres or live in the country. Not so well when your in an apartment, or housing development that doesn't allow commercial looking trucks overnight.
I can bring it to school so long as I pay for parking (go UMaine!) and I have a driveway at home big enough for it. Is it possible to retrofit it for anti lock and dual circuit brakes? It seems like cheap insurance and a fun project. Also should I rent a room in a house up in Orono my money says the owner won't mind it being parked (Ive seen a few school busses parked about, so I think I can get away with a deuce).

Last edited:

EWhytsell

Sure you could get dual circuit brakes, the easiest way is to buy the M35A2C model, "they had split brakes." Anti-lock is one of those, impossible things without unlimited funds and a design team. it would be better to just get a modern truck.

ryan77

If you want a slow truck with manual steering and a turning radius of the titanic go for it!! U might be better off getting a 5 ton with power steering and a cummins!!!2cents

eagle4g63

deuceshigh......I use my truck almost for the exact thing you want to do with yours......EVERYDAY!!! And I love it.....I also mix a lot of free oil and what not.....sometimes almost straight up(in the summer months and it loves it-drives a little slower but hay I'm in no hurry I still make money and get there in one piece. My truck has served my very well for the first year and a half and I have put on over 15,000 miles running it like this......plus I have made a few long hauls with is running 60 mph on the highway to Kentucky and back and Sparta, Wisconsin.....both places took all day to get there and back and the truck didn't miss a beat!!!

pinzgauer pete

DeucesHigh... think of it this way...what you want to use your truck for is light stuff in light of what the military spec'd these vehicles to do on a daily basis. These trucks are workhorses and meant to be abused. You will have to get good at maintenance like with any other vehicle but the replacement and maintenance parts are available and not very expensive. I say read every TM get familiar with the vehicle and have at it....we only live once!:driver:

lawdog1623

Ill weigh in on this. First, the reality of owning a truck or multiple for that matter is this. These trucks require REGULAR maintenance, either by you or another qualified person. That being said, the cost of making inevitable repairs is fairly high. You can certainly save money by doing it yourself, but im here to tell you that its not quite as easy as some of the folks on here make it seem. This is an unbelievably diverse forum with people who are no less than a whiz when it comes to mechanical aptitude. Im not exactly one of those persons and i have my fair share of difficulty with my own trucks. It is definitely something you can learn though. The search function on this forum will be your second best learning treatice to the tm's. I started with an all around great condition truck and i have still spent a fair bit of money doing things. You Must exercise dilligence in finding a truck that is truly in good enough shape to be a serviceable mv for your needs. Beware, there are many folks that are buying m35a2's and other types of mv's with the intention of flipping them for a profit regardless of their true mechanical condition. They are slapping a coat of paint on them and selling them as great condition trucks for a considerably high price. These are the folks cashing in on the prepper/ bug out buyer. I wont go into my thoughts on these as an end of the world "must have", but i certainly feel better having my two trucks. You also have to consider where you live not only for the storage issues, but as for the availability of parts. Some of the parts for the more common problems can be fairly bulky and if you have to ship everything in, your gonna find that your shipping costs can quickly add up to be more than your original investment in the truck. I personally live only hours from one of the largest mv parts dealers in the nation so its easy for me to get parts. I cant even tell you how many involuntary trips ive made to my parts supplier, so keep that in mind. I think you can definitely expect that the truck could perform in a limited work capacity, but as for making it a daily driver .....meh! Im just not too sure. Its big, slow, cumbersome and horrible on gas. I have used mine to haul large loads of hay, haul off debris to the dump, and to just generally have fun doing the family thing. I think in that capacity its best used, but my advice to you would be to get an average size work truck that you can put more trust in. FOLLOW THE BELOW M35A2 10 COMMANDMENTS!
1) download tm's
2) read tm's
3) look for and use steel soldiers search function
4) find a friend or 10 near you with deuces to exploit
5) buy, borrow or steal a lot of tools
6) prepare to be p'd off ....A LOT
7) devote yourself fully to the research and development of new and colorful curse words
8) used said curse words repeatedly
9) say many hail mary's and our fathers
10) sleep and repeat above

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure you could get dual circuit brakes, the easiest way is to buy the M35A2C model, "they had split brakes." Anti-lock is one of those, impossible things without unlimited funds and a design team. it would be better to just get a modern truck.
Misinformation!

Just because it is a M35A2C does NOT mean it has the split brakes.
The split brakes were added to the A2's in the late 80's I believe,
Search for the facts.

moriboy

I tend to agree with law dog. Don't get me wrong, I love my deuce but would get really tired of it as a daily driver. Even finding parking can be a real headache.

lawdog1623

oh yes and i failed to mention that unless you have the body of an 8 or 10 year old, driving around for any length of time in a deuce will have you looking and feeling like a 90 year old geriatric with a backbone of balsa wood....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One of my finest deuce hours was when I went into Lowes and told them I wanted two pallets of Sackrete. The guy asked what I was going to haul it on and I said "I got my big pickup truck outside."
You could cut the skepticism with a knife until the forklift driver saw the deuce......after he loaded the pallets on the truck (she didn't even squat) we had a long conversation about the advantages of owning a "big green Army truck".

If you do the maint and take care of the truck it will serve you well.......never run a good horse to death.

Deuceshigh

Thanks. Looks like ABS is out of the question, but dual circuit brakes are still on the list.
If you want a slow truck with manual steering and a turning radius of the titanic go for it!! U might be better off getting a 5 ton with power steering and a cummins!!!2cents
Sounds like a plan! Im big, slow and loud too so a deuce is a good fit.
deuceshigh......I use my truck almost for the exact thing you want to do with yours......EVERYDAY!!! And I love it.....I also mix a lot of free oil and what not.....sometimes almost straight up(in the summer months and it loves it-drives a little slower but hay I'm in no hurry I still make money and get there in one piece. My truck has served my very well for the first year and a half and I have put on over 15,000 miles running it like this......plus I have made a few long hauls with is running 60 mph on the highway to Kentucky and back and Sparta, Wisconsin.....both places took all day to get there and back and the truck didn't miss a beat!!!
Thats good to know. I will no doubt be contracted to move building supplies for the local builders once they see a big truck driving around.
DeucesHigh... think of it this way...what you want to use your truck for is light stuff in light of what the military spec'd these vehicles to do on a daily basis. These trucks are workhorses and meant to be abused. You will have to get good at maintenance like with any other vehicle but the replacement and maintenance parts are available and not very expensive. I say read every TM get familiar with the vehicle and have at it....we only live once!:driver:
Carpe Diem! I don't think I will ever have another chance to get one after the next few years, but hey why not. I would rather under load them than under load them, but I think sticking to 5000lbs on road until I am really familiar with them is a safe bet.
Ill weigh in on this. First, the reality of owning a truck or multiple for that matter is this. These trucks require REGULAR maintenance, either by you or another qualified person. That being said, the cost of making inevitable repairs is fairly high. You can certainly save money by doing it yourself, but im here to tell you that its not quite as easy as some of the folks on here make it seem. This is an unbelievably diverse forum with people who are no less than a whiz when it comes to mechanical aptitude. Im not exactly one of those persons and i have my fair share of difficulty with my own trucks. It is definitely something you can learn though. The search function on this forum will be your second best learning treatice to the tm's. I started with an all around great condition truck and i have still spent a fair bit of money doing things. You Must exercise dilligence in finding a truck that is truly in good enough shape to be a serviceable mv for your needs. Beware, there are many folks that are buying m35a2's and other types of mv's with the intention of flipping them for a profit regardless of their true mechanical condition. They are slapping a coat of paint on them and selling them as great condition trucks for a considerably high price. These are the folks cashing in on the prepper/ bug out buyer. I wont go into my thoughts on these as an end of the world "must have", but i certainly feel better having my two trucks. You also have to consider where you live not only for the storage issues, but as for the availability of parts. Some of the parts for the more common problems can be fairly bulky and if you have to ship everything in, your gonna find that your shipping costs can quickly add up to be more than your original investment in the truck. I personally live only hours from one of the largest mv parts dealers in the nation so its easy for me to get parts. I cant even tell you how many involuntary trips ive made to my parts supplier, so keep that in mind. I think you can definitely expect that the truck could perform in a limited work capacity, but as for making it a daily driver .....meh! Im just not too sure. Its big, slow, cumbersome and horrible on gas. I have used mine to haul large loads of hay, haul off debris to the dump, and to just generally have fun doing the family thing. I think in that capacity its best used, but my advice to you would be to get an average size work truck that you can put more trust in. FOLLOW THE BELOW M35A2 10 COMMANDMENTS!
1) download tm's
2) read tm's
3) look for and use steel soldiers search function
4) find a friend or 10 near you with deuces to exploit
5) buy, borrow or steal a lot of tools
6) prepare to be p'd off ....A LOT
7) devote yourself fully to the research and development of new and colorful curse words
8) used said curse words repeatedly
9) say many hail mary's and our fathers
10) sleep and repeat above
Sounds like a plan! I like to tinker and have no issues with regular maintenance. Its fun to learn new things and fiddle with big trucks. The manuals exist for a reason (to be read and followed!) and they will likely will be followed to the letter. Personally I will inspect and drive before I buy (better safe then sorry)..
Misinformation!

Just because it is a M35A2C does NOT mean it has the split brakes.
The split brakes were added to the A2's in the late 80's I believe,
Search for the facts.
That is good to know. Does that mean the majority of A2's floating around will have dual circuit brakes?
I tend to agree with law dog. Don't get me wrong, I love my deuce but would get really tired of it as a daily driver. Even finding parking can be a real headache.
But so is having a boring car. I know all the big parking spots in town already and have a big enough driveway. Plus I can barely feel my arse after getting frostbite there, so I don't think bad seats will be a huge issue.
oh yes and i failed to mention that unless you have the body of an 8 or 10 year old, driving around for any length of time in a deuce will have you looking and feeling like a 90 year old geriatric with a backbone of balsa wood....
Thats what advil is for!
One of my finest deuce hours was when I went into Lowes and told them I wanted two pallets of Sackrete. The guy asked what I was going to haul it on and I said "I got my big pickup truck outside."
You could cut the skepticism with a knife until the forklift driver saw the deuce......after he loaded the pallets on the truck (she didn't even squat) we had a long conversation about the advantages of owning a "big green Army truck".

If you do the maint and take care of the truck it will serve you well.......never run a good horse to death.
rofl

Sounds like a spot of fun. How simple (to a teenager) is it to learn to work on em?

91W350

I drove one back and forth to work everyday for a couple of years. It started when faced into the icy cold, unlike my coworkers who had to plug their newer diesels in. You learn to be careful where you park and a few extra steps never hurt me. I covered lots of road miles under 45 mph and just enjyed the trip. It got better fel mileage than a lot of half tons.

Now I work for large recycler of metals. I am regularly pulling some CDL rig out of some mess he got himself into. The latest was a guy who missed a driveway backing in a semi. Lots of us will be glad to help you when you need it, some will grump about reading the TMs or using the search function. I hear how uncomfortable they are, but i really do not mind long trips in mine.

I currently have my 6th, 7th and 8th multifuel deuces. I find them relatively easy to work on and most parts cheaper than a like item for my newer diesels. My youngest just hates them, my oldest son would drive one everday. Like our taste in women, we surely are not all the same.

I run mine slower than most folks here. I burn mostly old diesel and JP8 that i recover. I love it when somebody puts gasoline in their newer diesels. I buy the stuff from several shops for a dollar a gallon. They are not for everybody, but if you find yourself liking one and can live with its quirks, that old girl can do a whole lot of work, everyday, day after day, just a little slower than most want to go. Glen

You may want to look into insurance first because your age may make it difficult to insure. There is a real go thread on insurance here but I found that some of the companies listed didn't work for me. It almost seams like it depends on who you talk to at the insurance company as to whether or not they can insure them. So you may just need to call around some of your local brokers. If you can find insurance, then I think you should go for it. If you aren't interested in going faster than 50 mph then you may want to consider getting an M35A3. They have air assisted steering, automatic transmissions, they are quite enough that you don't have to wear ear protection, they already have super singles, electric wipers, insulated cab, dual circuit breaks, nice air ride drivers seat, and they have more horsepower. Unfortunately, the A3 isn't a multi-fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks