• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 bobbed as Expedition vehicle?

yeager1

Land Cruisers and Land rovers are great if you want to be in a tent (or roof top tent) and a Volvo 303 (or 6x6 Volvo) would be great also! But if you want to be more camper style with sinks, shower and stove, a F450 or deuce sized vehicle would be better. 5 tons are heavy and drink much more fuel.
If a deuce is in the plans, cab modifications to deal with noise and heat that others have mentioned would be a necessity to keep it comfortable. If you pulled the cab off, rhino-lined the complete outside including firewall (maybe rhino inside too), insulated the inside, add carpet, add AC, new seats and maybe some cushioned cab mounts you'd still be cheaper then most other options and would now have a truck that you would want to spend two years in. With 12' of bed you could build/buy whatever you wanted for the camper part. I've even seen people take the axles off of tow behind campers and frame mount them on a deuce- The ones I saw were geto, but it could be done well, and would avoid the custom camper price tag.

yeager1

So here is my first ever attempt at photo-cropping (that I did in Word) and it's terrible- BUT it gets the idea across.
Use a slide-in truck camper made for a crewcab truck, put toolboxes where the cutouts for the bed sides/wheelwells are, and a full-sized cross-box where the back door of the crewcab should be. You end up with a good sized camper (that you can get with slideouts) and tons of lockable storage for fuel, water, and gear. You can get these fairly cheap used, and the way they utilize space is amazing, combine that with lots of storage and you've got a nice expedition vehicle.

Attachments

area52

One big thing to consider that I don't think anyone has hit on yet - its a military truck and alot of foreign countries will take a VERY large interest in it when you are driving through their country. I know personally of one guy who tried to drive a deuce in Mexico and he was stopped by the police. Not sure what happened after that but just something to think about.

yeager1

its a military truck and alot of foreign countries will take a VERY large interest in it when you are driving through their country.
If you paint it a very non-military color, like white, with a camper on the back I don't think you would have any issues. A camo M109? Expect to get stopped often.

Marlboro

there is an article in the july issue of peterson's four wheel and off road on expedition vehicles. it shows different choices and gives pros and cons.

STRYKER

M35 For Expedition

I just bought the same style M-35 from Clinton. I bought it for hunting and fishing trips in Alaska. I have friends in Alaska that use the M35's for there adventures and they have never complained. The only problem I think you might encounter is operating in cold weather, you will want to insulate the inside of the M-35 and get a arctic diesel fired heater. You will also want to add a diesel powered PRE ENGINE START HEATER. I just had one installed on my M35, it heats your coolant and circulates it through your engine, so you can start your engine in extreme cold weather. The M35 It was designed for the Military so it can handle anything you throw at it. I know first hand, I've used them in Germany, The Balkans, and Iraq, Alaska, they can handle anything you through at them. Also take in consideration that a lot of people that join the millitary its the first time they ever drive a big rig, so they beat the hell out of them and like the energizer bunny it keeps going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks