• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 brake fluid reservoir location????

rubi2004

please excuse me, as I am new to the deuce, but where is the brake fluid reservoir on a m35a2 located. also, I am having troubles turning the headlight switch. It seems it should move to all the positions, but I don't want to force it and break something. Your help is greatly appreciated, and this is a great site for info on these old girls.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to find a copy of the Operators TM (-10) that has TONS of info you need to know before you drive the truck 10 feet.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go into the resources block at the top of the main page and into manuals to get your info. The top of the master cylinder unscrews after the vent line is removed.

jwaller

you have to remove the cap. I dont want to sounds like a mean guy but you obviously dont know anything about these trucks. so do us all a favor and stop and read the manuals. they are located at the top of every page under the resources tab. look at the data plate in your cab as to the exact manual you need to read but suffice it to say you need to read them all.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what you need to read:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=15

Please be a responsible Military Vehicle Owner and read it. Do the PMCS (thats in the book too).

If you care less about being a responsible owner, remember that if you kill someone when your brakes fail due to lack of BFS in the MC, it's YOUR insurance that will shyrocket or be dropped. And if you think "whats the chances of that happening to me, Give me a break..." Keep reading the old posts... There are SEVERAL guys on here that it has happened to, and they each thought "it wont happen to me" Dont learn the hard way.

alphadeltaromeo

Graciousness folk, be gracious.

Rubi - welcome to SS! Looks like you got the questions answered alright. The TM's are a great resource of information for you. I'd agree with the folk about reading through the TM to gain a good perspective about the deuce. It'll be well worth your time.

Again, welcome to SS!

Andy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you just get the truck? Tell us about it!

Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Are you near Dyersville, Iowa?

rubi2004

Yes, I just got it from GL . It is a 71 m35A2 with turbo, Hercules engine, soft top. I am in Waukon, Iowa, about 1 hr from Dyersville.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it a runner? What else do you need to know right off to get it going? Is it home yet, or do you need to get it home still? Hop into the chat room some evening, great place to talk with others here(live)!
Some day, I would like to visit the FOD movie site!

drthunder33

I printed out everything I could prior to picking up my deuce (thanks guys for the great tips). I read them at length all the way till pickup day and even brought them along just in case. They came in handy alright, and now they have been seperated into binders (controls, operations and maintainence). They are now part of my vehicle reference collection.

Thanks again guys!

BTW, at 396 pages it sure was nice to borrow the printer at work :D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!
Not everything is in the manuals and sometimes it is hard to find exactly what one is looking for, so no harm in asking, that's what this site is for.

The light switch operation is as shown in this image.

The master cylinder is accessible by opening the cover in the floor by the front seat. You will need a 7/16 wrench to remove the vent line and a 3/4 wrench for the reservoir plug. It is a little difficult to get to, granted, and you will need a flashlight to see what you are doing.
If you accidentally pour DOT 3 into the master cylinder that is already filled with DOT 5, don't panic, your brake system will still work. The fluids will not mix, but no real harm is done. IMHO, it is probably a benefit to have some DOT 3 in the system to keep any water from freezing.

PS. Most of us who had MVs before this site existed collected the TMs one by one and probably made it home with minimal instructions, I know I did.

Attachments

rubi2004

it is a runner, and it is home, but I wanted to check some things before I jumped right in, and btw, it was hauled home to me.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool! It looks like there are a few guys in your general area on the members map.

shadow

I was lucky when I got my m275a1. The guy/company I bought it from said they were putting in a new speed-o cable and would top off the fluids. I didn’t check ANY of them because I went on his word. I noticed the speedometer still didn’t work but I figured maybe the gauge was bad. After I had drove it across town to the next town where I was putting it in storage, I noticed the rear wheel drum area smoking a blue color and it smelled of burned metal. I didn’t have time to check it because the sun was just going down and there would be no light.

Later, after I found the reservoir, it was almost dry. It leaks from a fitting where some monkey made a U bend and you can see the fitting going in at an angle with silicone or something on the threads. It could have been a bad time if I lost the brakes while driving. I admit I am an amateur at driving these things. I had only driven a few hours in some dump trucks my buddy had to practice for a cdl test. (never got the license because we couldn’t find a truck that would pass inspection for a test. :lol: ) I’m not sure what I would have done in the case of brake loss. Off roading is my first guess to avoid hitting someone. :D I recommend getting some TM’s in print. They make good reading material while in the thinking room :D

I have driven the truck with a loaded 40 footer weaving around the storage area a few times with no brakes at all. (No air to the trailer lines and no fluid in the truck lines). It is fine when you’re in 1st or 2nd gear on gravel but I wouldn’t go any faster then 2nd. I had some big open spots when I got clear of the builds/cars/campers but I wouldn’t go any faster then halfway through the rpms while in 2nd. I even had my sister help walking along with a 6x6 board while I was in 1st gear just incase I needed to stop faster she could through the board in front of the tires to help slow me down. I never need it though because as soon as I lifted from the gas it would only roll about 6 or 7 feet before I was at a stop.

As for the DOT brake fluid, I am a little concerned now. I had called 4 heavy truck shops when I got it and ask what I should use and they all said normal brake fluid. I told them it was a military 1953 reo deuce tractor and they all said it didn’t matter and acted like I was nuts thinking there was a different fluid I should use. I put in the regular DOT 3 fluid.

I was just looking online and I found that if you mix the 2 you could have some seals leak. Is that true or is someone pulling peoples legs? Will I have problems with that mixing? Is there a way to tell which fluid you have in the system? (dot3, dot 5 color difference, smell, etc)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks