• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Brake Master Cylinder

master brake resavoir fill

Thanks Bob for the response the military didn't want to make it easy to check the brake fluid did they. I have just purchased a 1970 am general m35a2 its in excellent condition with a 10 ton winch and it also came with a i think m109 1 and half ton trailer it also has the troop heater which i am thinking of selling and also a brand new power steering set up never installed i am not sure what i am doing with this thing but i have wanted one since i was a kid. my wife thinks i am crazy but i love those old trucks!

PalmerBS

Ok, someone help me out here, what does the vent tube do for me? Can i remove it? If so, do i just need to cap off where the vent hooks to the main line down lower?

Basically, the line broke in half close to the top of the master cylinder, and i'm not sure what i need to do???

Help??

Keith_J

I've always thought the design is poor at best. Given the importance of making sure there is brake fluid in the MC, you would think it would be at least visble from the outside without disassembly. Someone once mentioned that they had ran a rubber hose from the bleeder to a seperate tank that was visible in the cab. Anyone have any pictures of this?
No need for the vent when bleeding the brakes. In fact, skip the pumping with pressure bleeding. Too pricey? Then get the fittings and an air pressure regulator. 10 PSI of air on the master cylinder will quickly bleed the system. Recover the bled fluid to know when to add more to the master cylinder.

Keith_J

Vent lines are better than the check valve breather in that a vacuum won't form in the case of slight fluid loss. Partial vacuums can prevent proper braking action when they pull the sealing cups away from the pistons. Since this increases the volume of fluid needed to be pumped before the shoes contact the drums, meaning the master cylinder runs out of stroke.

In short, vent lines are safer.

PalmerBS

Given that i'm not ready to get into a reservoir system right now, I guess i just need to replace the broken line?

Does anyone sell them already bent w/ the fittings?

Any other options?

Keith_J

Given that i'm not ready to get into a reservoir system right now, I guess i just need to replace the broken line?

Does anyone sell them already bent w/ the fittings?

Any other options?
Polyethylene tube with compression fittings works well for this application. It doesn't need to go to the draft tube, that was done for fording kit operation. Routing it to any dry place away from road dirt is better.

Home Depot sells the compression fittings with brass inserts and the poly tube. It is milky-white in color.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks