• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Deuce fix it

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have air operated wipers on my deuce. Not thrilled with them. The only thing consistent about them is how inconsistent they are in operation. So needless to say, I tend to operate the truck on days when it doesn't have any rain in the forecast.
Mine has a fully functional driver alertness system that prevents the operator from dozing off during long, slow rainy drives while listening to the monotonous clacking of the wipers. The military engineered minute openings in various windshield corners to allow small quantities of water to hit the operator at random moments, thus ensuring alertness.
I, too, tend to operate my truck when it is not raining.

iatractor

Mine has a fully functional driver alertness system that prevents the operator from dozing off during long, slow rainy drives while listening to the monotonous clacking of the wipers. The military engineered minute openings in various windshield corners to allow small quantities of water to hit the operator at random moments, thus ensuring alertness.
You too? Thought mine was unique in that aspect. I get some stray rain drops from somewhere on the seam between the hard top and the windshield frame on occasion.

welldigger

Minute amounts of water? Tho my weather strips have seen better days. I might as well open my windsheilds on a rainy day.

I must say though, a3 wipers are a very nice upgrade.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Deuce rear axle seal was in there wrong?

Deuce left rear tandem brake repair. Took out the axle, lockplate, nuts and

outer seal.jpg

looking at the parts as they came off. The outer seal has one surface marked OUTSIDE but that had been assembled on the inside. Is that right? Was it in there backwards?

TMNT

Deuce left rear tandem brake repair. Took out the axle, lockplate, nuts and

View attachment 455612

looking at the parts as they came off. The outer seal has one surface marked OUTSIDE but that had been assembled on the inside. Is that right? Was it in there backwards?
That means it is the outer seal. The surface you are looking at, goes toward the bearings.

The other seal, on the "inside" of the hub nearest the brakes, is called the inner seal.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank you TMNT. So the outer seal was installed correct last time.
I found no keyway seal of any kind, cork, sealant or otherwise.
That is where all the mess came from. The leaking wheel cylinder combined with the axle gear oil made a considerable mess.
There is grease everywhere but in the bearings. I can not see that the inner seal was leaking but will leave it until later, I don't know how much of that new differential carrier oil is going to come out. I leave that for now intact as I understand once I get it off I it can not be saved anyway.
Today I clean and clean. I hope for life left in the bearings.

considerable mess 2.jpgconsiderable mess 1.jpg

Another Ahab

That means it is the outer seal. The surface you are looking at, goes toward the bearings.

The other seal, on the "inside" of the hub nearest the brakes, is called the inner seal.
This is valuable forum content here regarding inner/outer seals. But hidden away under a thread titled "M35a2 Deuce Fix-it", one will be hard-pressed to locate this content without blind-luck and a lengthy search. Is there a way to capture this under a more specifically descriptive title?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK Sergeant.
Last week you were a Corporal.
Please tell me the correct way to title this last post and I will do so.
Would ........axle seal outer M35 rear bearings wheel cylinder OD one-each be best?
I would also like to find stuff with the wonderful new SS search engine.
I will post at best condition.
Suggestions please.
I'm still cleaning stuff
Thanks

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Comments were not meant to be facetious or sarcastic.
SS has a new search engine. If I post stuff correct then the engine will find it for everybody.
But I am unsure, should I use nomenclature backwards or post as the NSN system?
It has taken me all those years to now accept destructive or non-destructive criticism.
I re-iterate............
Please say correct way to post and I will do so.
Vincit Qui Primum Gerit

Another Ahab

Shoot, I don't know...
You ask good questions. Not sure what is "correct".
Thread morphed from question about a door, to a detail about rear tandem brake repair.
It's your show, I never intended a hijack, just making an observation. Whatever YOU deem best, of course IS.
Aloha Nui Loa. World without end. ~

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I sent a request for guideline suggestions or rules about titles of threads/comments to the administrator.
Perhaps a direction to go in would make the search engine work better for all as to the thread titles.

Heat77

I have a soft top m35a2, it had rained last night and leaked into the cab from the top of the soft top. I was wanting to know if there is anything that I could put onto the soft top to make it rain resistant ??

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a soft top m35a2, it had rained last night and leaked into the cab from the top of the soft top. I was wanting to know if there is anything that I could put onto the soft top to make it rain resistant ??
canvas????
look up a product called canvak

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Resurrect a thread or a stitch in time
She runs and runs... perfect
Normal maintenance is necessary
Boots; filters; tubing replace; adjust valves;
adjustments; tires; and a Lift gate to install.
I am in zip 33334 for anyone to work her $$