• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Dumb Battery Questions - also Solargizer thread

houdel

I have a few dumb questions about the batteries in a M35A2. I did drive M35A2s a bit while in the MA ARNG during the early 70's, but didn't pay much attention to the batteries.

Dumb question #1: I believe reading in other posts, the original battery was something like a 6TL. Do these batteries have "bolt through" posts (like most marine batteries) or "split ring" posts (like most car batteries)?

Dumb question #2: Why DO most marine batteries have "bolt through" posts and most car batteries have"split ring" posts ?

Dumb question #3: I expect that sooner or later (probably sooner)I'll need to replace the batteries on my soon to be here Deuce. I plan on keeping my Deuce for a long time. Since the batteries are pretty well hidden, my main interest is not maintaining authenticity, but getting the best combination of service life versus cost. What are the advantages and disadvantages of replacing with new/reconditioned 6TLs, cheap Wal*Mart batteries, or with new "Super Batteries" (i.e., Optimas, Orange Tops, or other similar high tech batteries)?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, lots of opinions will be coming on this one. Fisrt it has a common top post type battery and the military used 6TL or 6TN and there was another one. All the same size. They area hearty batteries with heavy plates. Usually can be desulfated better than car batteries. I have 2 stacks of 6TLs waiting for me to buy the stuff to desulfate them and try to revivie them. With that said, I use the $29.00 specials in my junk. They last 3 or 4 years then can be thrown away and new ones installed. I get away with it because my trucks never sit more than a week and rarely go more than 2 or 3 days without running.

Dieselsmoke

I'm like Kenny and use the reconditioned 6TLs in my trucks, although I'm completely out right now and in need of some. The batteries in my M35 have been in there since 1996 so not bad for used batteries and still going strong. However the ones in my M109A3 shop van are holding a charge but not putting out enough juice to turn it over. I'm thinking about taking all 4 6TLs out of my wrecker and replace them with the 8Ds that I have which would give me the 4 6TLs I need for my other trucks.
Kenny, hurry up and get the desulfating stuff in them batteries. Once the process starts it continues even while the batteries are sitting so the sooner you treat them the better!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an excellent topic. You caused me to have to go out and actually look at my battery box.

I have both style of cables. Coming into and going out of the box, the cables are marine style bolt holes. The jumper is a car battery style. So I guess that it is simply up to the guy who maintained the truck in da military.

OR to the previous owner who replaced said cables with stock ones from NAPA (insert your favorite/closest auto parts house here).

I start my deuce daily. I let it run for at least fifteen minutes. Then shut her down. Unless I've got some errand to run that I can use as an excuse to take her out.

I think the key is keeping the batteries charged properly. I have an Optima battery in my 91 Suburban. It works wonders. And I've had it for several years (going on five or six). And my Sub doesn't get started or run much.

I'm considering either a Solargizer panel OR a 24v charger to hook it to the house when the deuce just sits.

Both of the batteries in mine are fairly old. We had some pretty brutal cold here a couple of weeks ago. I pulled the batteries, checked and added water and then put them on the charger (one at a time) until they were completely charged. Made a world of difference when I hooked them back in the next day. She just ROARED to life. So maintaining whatever battery you get is pretty important in my mind.

Having said that, I'm considering purchasing a pair of 61 (?) batteries from Wally world for about $50ish each in the next few weeks. Then do the same again a couple of months down the road. I plan on having a set for 12v operations that will be maintained by said Solargizer or a charger that hooks to the household current.

CCATLETT1984

Hey guys, you should cross-post this one into the cucv forum, bet a lot of guys would llike to read up on this discussion.

as for my 2cents
I currently have two 6tl's in my truck (had them sitting and needed a set of batts after a battery cable shorted out and took both batts with it) but I will definitely be going back to the heavy duty farm batteries once I get a set of battery boxes installed to hold them properly (hgher CCA makes a HUGE difference here in Michigan)

SixBuy

Interstate Batteries is contracted to provide the military so you can buy new 6TLs in OD Green! From a distributor they're about $86 each ( list is something like $125). There is a core charge so your old batts are traded in - even with cracked cases! Some folks love Interstate, some hate 'em.
The original Battery connectors are for the top posts and the cables bolt to those so I suppose you could go either way if you so choose.
If you do something other than 6TLs you'll need adapters to hold the new batteries or reengineer the battery tray.
Have Fun!

rice

The Interstate dealer here gets used military batteries back that he charges and checks out. He sells the good ones for $30-35. He had several of the 6TL's awhile back.

area52

My first deuce did not have a battery tray or batteries in it when I picked it up. Just went to Auto Zone and got some J hooks and a battery hold down bar and used a flat piece of plastic that I bolted to the crossmember.

I used some real cheap and small auto batteries and always switched them around to prevent one from getting too much or too little of a charge.

ojsdna744

This thread timing ws perfect...I was just jumping on to post a question about what kinda batteries everyone was running....my new/old duece has batteries that have not been happy since it came to live in Michigan! I'm off to find an Interstae dealer! :)

(Man I hate jump starting that thing!)

CGarbee

I've run the 6TL/6TN in both of my M35's and have had good luck with the Interstate "2nd's" out of South Carolina. Got a buddy who gets them and hauls them up to my place when he's making a road trip... I have managed to fry a couple (actually blew the top off one) and am currently running cheap Wally World batteries in the M35A2C (actually, a pair of group 24 that I had in the shop that are technically too small, but the cranking amps is up there and the truck seems happ...). I did check out the charging system when I did this and found out that everything on that end was ok, so I think that I just got a battery that was having a bad day... :)

FSBruva

I use the Wal-mart cheapos, and am in the same boat as Kenny - no more than 2-3 days between starts, and when I do start it (especially on cold mornings) I leave it running until it's at operating temperature (also 2-3 days, hehehe)... Mine has the marine style cable attachments because I had a bad experience with the automotive style posts disintegrating when one of my clamps was not attached properly. But, had to re-engineer the battery box a little with some bunjees and some 2x4s to keep the battery posts well away from each other.

I went to NAPA today to get some new batteries as the ones I have have finally lost their ability to hold a charge more than a couple of days. When I got the truck someone had written "does not hold charge" on the top of the battery but they worked great - even fired right up when I first picked it up at GL. Would sit for a month and no problem. Now they be mush.

Ok so what did I do wrong. I know that the 6TN or 6TL is the battery of choice and have read this thread I am posting to and also this one: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=7466&highlight=#7466
in hopes of finding some more info.
Why?
Well, the counter person dug out the catalog and couldn't find mention of a 6-anything in the book, lots of 4's. Is there another cross reference or an application (John Deere tractor, Kenworth, Space Shuttle) that I can cross reference?

Big Green really wants to go - but just ain't got the juice. :cry:

Oh, and it finally quit raining here!!! :D At least until this Friday, :?

mtech

Polverone,

I just purchase 2 new batteries for my deuce. The Interstate part number is actually U6TL. Got them for $79.95 each. Hope this helps.

houdel

Go to the Interstate battery website & use the dealer locator to find as many dealers in your area as you can. I've seen postings from people who bought Interstate 6TLs running from $79.95 to $170. My nearest dealer wants $100, I'm going to call all the dealers in my area to see who has the best price & will ask about the "blems" too!

Rattlehead

Whatever battery you choose, the most important thing for a lead acid battery is to keep it at full charge! Someone on this list recommended a Chargetek brand 3-stage charger that charges each 12v battery separately. This is the best bet. A 12v battery should be brought up to around 14.5 volts(first stage), held there for a predetermined time(2nd stage), then held to around 13.5v for as long as it is plugged in(3rd stage). The higher voltage is required to force the battery to full charge state. The lower voltage is to prevent them from self-discharging. When batteries sit without a full recharge or without being held to around 13.5v, then sulfation occurs.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rack up a lot of miles on my trucks, in really hot (+122) and cold (-25) temperatures.
Optimas are the battery for me, cheaper in the long run by far and very dependable. Typical life is 6 to 7 years.

Costco has them for about $100 per.

ddg