• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 from South El Monte Ca to Yuma AZ

Gunfreak25

Trying to get an idea for transportation cost on a running driving M35A2 from El Monte to Yuma. Thank you

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck is running and drivable, why not drive it? Costs a lot less money and can be fun. South El Monte is not that far from Yuma.

Gunfreak25

I’m quite tempted to, but he doesn’t know when the last time it had deep service was (bearings, shoes etc). He rebuilt the air pak and takes it for small spins here and there and he said the tires aren’t too bad. But it’s also triple digit temps now and the heat likes to make gremlins creep up.

if I sell my m1009 this week I’ll be heading to El Monte to look at it and if I like it, buy it. If it was only $600 or so to ship I just assume do that and take any risk out of the equation.
It’s a pretty boring line to Yuma, good view of the Salton Sea along the way.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m quite tempted to, but he doesn’t know when the last time it had deep service was (bearings, shoes etc). He rebuilt the air pak and takes it for small spins here and there and he said the tires aren’t too bad. But it’s also triple digit temps now and the heat likes to make gremlins creep up.

if I sell my m1009 this week I’ll be heading to El Monte to look at it and if I like it, buy it. If it was only $600 or so to ship I just assume do that and take any risk out of the equation.
It’s a pretty boring line to Yuma, good view of the Salton Sea along the way.
Temperatures can get high and you can be miserable driving in high heat in a deuce, not to mention engine cooling. If you do decide to drive, I would recommend driving after the sun goes down and there are cooler temperatures, assuming that your lights are working well. I've recovered two deuces, one a 17 hour drive from PA to GA and the other a 27 hour drive from Wisconsin to GA. I enjoyed both trips, although the trip from Wisconsin was in the winter and VERY cold driving. Good luck.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you like it then buy it and take it for 10 mile 25 mile 50 mile and up drives and then go home with her.
Take your recovery tools and especially your heat gun.

260 miles.png

looks like a really nice drive

GunFreak25 It is always good to see and read your posts .

I have had a hub get warm on the road on the way home and stopped pulled the axle and removed the outer seal and put the axle back in and parked on a slopping bank to let the bearings get some gear oil and came home the inner seal did not leak much . When getting a new truck home bearings and brakes are the first things that get taken a part lubed and fixed . I fully understand why you would rather trailer it .

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35 wheel bearings don't get oil. They are all grease hubs.

That is, unless your seals are bad. I guarantee, if you get oil in the hubs, it will find your brake shoes too, making a lot of unnecessary work to fix.

DG

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35 wheel bearings don't get oil. They are all grease hubs.

That is, unless your seals are bad. I guarantee, if you get oil in the hubs, it will find your brake shoes too, making a lot of unnecessary work to fix.

DG
I think TOPO was describing a bush fix method to get a hot bearing truck home.

But obviously you are right in your statement above.

ToddJK

I understand the concerns. Best to find the safest way if there is any doubt once so ever, Murphy's law loves to prove itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks