• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 goes "clunk clunk clunk" in Reverse

Dasgog

Hello

So the Deuce is a '72 with 11,000 Miles on it so not a lot of wear and tear. Not too far off it was all taken apart and put back together and well maintained. I drive it once a week and usually not too far but it warms up enough and when I get home it goes into reverse just fine. This week I have noticed after two very long drives that when I return home, it will not go into reverse without the truck skipping and clunk clunk clunk and if I force it I know something will snap.
The only constant I notice is that it only does it after its really heated up.. On a fresh start after sitting it'll work fine.
The truck drives 1-5 gear like a dream and there are no noises whatsoever. Lever brake engages and I notice nothing abnormal.
Originally I thought maybe the gear oil was old and maybe wrong kind and getting too hot so I changed transfer case/transmission with 80x90 gear oil and today it did the same.
It does this in LOW and HIGH gear reverse... I engaged the 4x4 lever and heard it hiss and then it went in reverse fine in high/low and then brought it back to 2x4 high/low and worked fine.
Not sure if I got lucky or if there is something else going on.

Suggestions?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive not looked into that to be honest... And yes it is indeed only in reverse.
You have the noise standing still when PUTTING it into reverse - that suggests clutch to me. If it went into reverse fine but then resisted backing up and/or clunked, I would say parking brake.

Dasgog

You have the noise standing still when PUTTING it into reverse - that suggests clutch to me. If it went into reverse fine but then resisted backing up and/or clunked, I would say parking brake.
That is precisely what it does. It goes into reverse fine but when I actually try to back up it clunks/skips.

Dasgog

Have you crawled under it and looked at the short shaft U joints yet?
I assume you mean the short shaft from transmission to transfer case? I have... I wiggled it and really didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. It clunks a little but nothing that made me 2nd guess. Unless it’s supposed to be absolutely tight... And that little clunky wiggle is magnified under load.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If I could finds my glasses.............
I think they loist...............
Have to wait for my better half when She gets home to help me
I type now by just the memoriy as I can't see theboard....................it is named a jackshaft
One or and I saw it in only one, TM does referenc that ews to it only
Very special bolts and special nujts
One of the most overlookeed parts of a Deuce.
Wou;ld you like more information
I wish I hasd eysight like Chuck Yeager / ....
There is many lube points, almost always missed in there.
I wish to be young

davidb56

If I could finds my glasses.............
I think they loist...............
Have to wait for my better half when She gets home to help me
I type now by just the memoriy as I can't see theboard....................it is named a jackshaft
One or and I saw it in only one, TM does referenc that ews to it only
Very special bolts and special nujts
One of the most overlookeed parts of a Deuce.
Wou;ld you like more information
I wish I hasd eysight like Chuck Yeager / ....
There is many lube points, almost always missed in there.
I wish to be young
Yea. its called a short shaft, jack shaft, and a companion shaft depending on who you are talking to. its only about 1 foot long, but when someone uses a cheater pipe on the bolts AND nylocks, its no fun getting it out.

Welder1

I assume you mean the short shaft from transmission to transfer case? I have... I wiggled it and really didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. It clunks a little but nothing that made me 2nd guess. Unless it’s supposed to be absolutely tight... And that little clunky wiggle is magnified under load.
There should not be any clunking out of the jackshaft. If there is any looseness that is an issue you need to find out the source. Could be worn u joints, loose bolts, worn splines. You may want to remove it for a close inspection.

Eddie C

Dasgog

There should not be any clunking out of the jackshaft. If there is any looseness that is an issue you need to find out the source. Could be worn u joints, loose bolts, worn splines. You may want to remove it for a close inspection.

Eddie C
In all honesty I’ve not done much with the truck since this initial discussion as I’ve been busy. I did replace the trans and transfer case fluid to 80/90 and it still did the clunk. I then verified all “shafts” were tight and nothing wobbly or loose bolts. What I did then was grease each fitting having to do with the hand brake , maybe wasn’t greased enough? , snd the 3 times I drove it it went in reverse just fine. Maybe it’s just intermittent and I got lucky. Also I did look at the whole brake assembly and the mustache spring thing and all looks good.
Maybe the brake lever was sticking?

anyway if I find anything else I’ll post. Thank for for the help

Dasgog

Hello

So the Deuce is a '72 with 11,000 Miles on it so not a lot of wear and tear. Not too far off it was all taken apart and put back together and well maintained. I drive it once a week and usually not too far but it warms up enough and when I get home it goes into reverse just fine. This week I have noticed after two very long drives that when I return home, it will not go into reverse without the truck skipping and clunk clunk clunk and if I force it I know something will snap.
The only constant I notice is that it only does it after its really heated up.. On a fresh start after sitting it'll work fine.
The truck drives 1-5 gear like a dream and there are no noises whatsoever. Lever brake engages and I notice nothing abnormal.
Originally I thought maybe the gear oil was old and maybe wrong kind and getting too hot so I changed transfer case/transmission with 80x90 gear oil and today it did the same.
It does this in LOW and HIGH gear reverse... I engaged the 4x4 lever and heard it hiss and then it went in reverse fine in high/low and then brought it back to 2x4 high/low and worked fine.
Not sure if I got lucky or if there is something else going on.

Suggestions?

Well it seems to have done it again. To start off, I replaced Front/Rear Differentials, Transfer Case and Transmission all with new 80/90 Gear Oil. I greased every fitting including Emergency Brake and everything in between. The “mustache” spring is secure and fine. Emergency brake pad and area is clean and looks good.

I drove about 20 miles up hill till I hit dirt road and rocky terrain. Enabled front wheel drive and the lockers. Drove whole way 3rd gear low around 1500 RPM whole time. Drove like butter.
After an hour of that I died aged 4 wheel drive and the lockers and drove home 20 miles 5th gear high 2000 rpm smooth as can be. Got to the house out it in neutral then reverse and it went back fine then clunk clunk clunk . Like I don’t wanna say gear grinding, more like heavy resistance like if I forced it something would snap. I put it in neutral, put tcase in low then High again and tried and it went remaining 10 feet fine.

I just don’t know what to do.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Confirm you have 3 springs on the parking brake system.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do both shoes release from the drum and not touch it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks