• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 in tank fuel pump in a M818 tank.

jrobinson5093

I have been trying to run WMO in my M818. It runs fine, other than the slight haze of smoke. But I did find that the factory fuel system cant pump the thick oil. So I pulled the fuel pump out of my M35a2 and put it in my M818s drivers side fuel tank. I dont use the left side so Im not gonna bother with it. I had to lower the pump one screw hole on the holder, and put a longer hose on it. I used a small pipe plug to seal off the return on the m35a2 pump. I run the power from the OFF/ON/START switch, to power the pump when the switch is on. It runs fine so far, no power increase that I can tell. It should help when changing the fuel filter to prime the system.

Attachments

jrobinson5093

I have thinned it before and it would run fine. I just really wanted to give it the ability to run 100% if needed. I plan to do the dual fuel line mod to the truck also. I plan to do other upgrades as well so adding a fuel pump will just help.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just REMEMBER that the CUMMINS ip DOES NOT like crap run through it, no matter how great a filter system it goes though first, A Cummins engine is NOT a multifuel, running wmo WILL cause cokeing and accelerated ware of the ip, valve seats and guides, and load up the muffler.

jrobinson5093

I have been driving the truck for a couple of days now, and the difference is noticeable. It starts faster, runs smoother, and now I can run 50 with out any problems. I ran some straight diesel through it today and I cant tell the difference between WMO and diesel(except the smell). I would advise any one who wants to add a lift pump and make it look kinda factory to put one of these pumps in the tank.

jrobinson5093

Well I have discovered a leak around the throttle shaft. I believe that might be why it has been hard to start before the pump install. Does any one have a good source for a seal kit for the PT pump?

jrobinson5093

Yes, it is still running well. I dont drive it as much right now because of the heat, but I have not had any problems. This is off topic but I blew the muffler out so I cut it out. I put in 4 inch pipe with a 6 inch stack. It is stupid loud.

ross165123

So you are still running a 50/50 mix of wmo and diesel with no mods other then the m35 fuel pump, I'll be trying the same once I get the truck in good running condition.